• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buff Question

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Can you give me a reason why I should take a buff?
I wear a long sleeved hiking shirt with collar and a hat with brim. So I don't need it to keep the sun off my neck. However, I understand they have more uses - can be used as a headband, scarf in cold weather etc.
In my thinking if I took the buff instead of a hat, my nose would fry as it offers no sun protection - or is there something I don't know?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use mainly my Buff for the winter, because I don't like to use scarfs. For that, and because the Buff that I have as a fleece part for the neck. Sometimes it looks like I'm going to rob a bank :D

If you use a shirt with colar, I don't think that you will need the Buff. And a hat, it's always a hat.

Best Regards
Diogo

All about layers again, A buff is very lightweight yet effective around the neck or on the head. I mixed and matched with long sleeve shirt/ fleece and I was glad I took it . Did not replace my brim hat , nor my woolly hat ( April Camino)

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn't use a buff to replace a hat, but it would replace a sweat cloth if you were walking in summer or as a scarf in winter or even replace a beanie.

The trouble with multi-functional clothing items is generally they are not as good as any single item they replace, but not as bad as having none of the items in the first place. Buffs strike me as being like that.

Can you give me a reason why I should take a buff?
I used a merino wool buff on the Camino and loved it. Very light weight, very comfortable. I wore it as a skull cap when the Alberque was cold (Alto de Poio, in particular!) and under my regular hat on chilly mornings. It also served as a scarf. I walked mostly in September, so I didn't feel I needed much cold weather gear, but the wool buff was great. Well worth the weight.

Karl

I have knitted one myself. I meant to knit a hat, or a beanie, or what you call it in English. But I did not have enough yarn so I made a buff instead. The yarn I used is Malabrigo silky merino. It's half silk half merino and very soft.
Of course, that's for winter use. But I think it's better than a scarf. And you can make it of very little yarn, much less than a scarf. I'm wearing it right now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is an interesting discussion. I'm taking a brimmed hat for sun/rain. I was also going to take one of the merino wool Buffs since I could use it for layered neck warmth with my fleece (I tend to dislike scarves), or wear it balaclava-style for extra head warmth if April got nippy. I wasn't going to take a knit cap, though no final decision has been made until I see how April temperatures go next year.

I love Buffs and find them both cosy when it's cold and also very good at soaking up the sweat from the back of your neck-when it's either warm of you've been exerting yourself (as very occasionally happens on Camino;)). I like to walk in tech tee shirts that usually have a round neck so a Buff keeps the sun of the back of my neck -though it's not a hat replacement.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A 'buff' is a closed circle of cloth and a 'scarf' is a strip of cloth, both go round the neck to keep it warm. The buff can also be worn as a hood. Either can be wetted if you need to get cooler.
Personally I prefer the scarf and a hat as I can tie the scarf or have it more open and it is also good under my waterproof (poncho type). The hat keeps the sun off better and also supports my poncho's hood

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.