• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Building blocks

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
No idea if this is the best place to post.
Today is St Patrick's Day.
Never mind green rivers or green bagels.
This is not about green-ness.
A friend, also a recent Irish national by citizenship, sent me this video.
There are other visual versions, but the music is the same.
Connection to camino?
Well, every story has its building blocks.
The 'story' of the Camino is not something I know how to defend as in a thesis.
However, James, according to tradition, arrived, dead as a doornail, in a stone boat, in Santiago, as a pilgrim, if you will. Fill in the gaps until now.
Some centuries later, Patrick, depending on your sources, travelled by boat from UK (Wales? who knows?) to the land of the shamrock. He used the weed to his advantage in proselytising. Thereby hangs a tale.
There is a most evocative film, movie, called The Camino Voyage.
It portrays a wonderful, and tragic, journey, executed by a group of modern enthusiasts, who designed and travelled in a home made reproduction of an ancient craft to sail from Ireland to A Corunna, and from thence to Santiago.
Who knows? Worthy historians have chronicled verifiable accounts, but what is important to our modern pilgrim?
I leave you to ponder the value of the building blocks that have opened your heart to a pilgrimage.
(and look elsewhere to find Rita Connolly singing this song).
It was written, according to custom, by one of the first pilgrims in the tradition of James to be recorded.
Note: I am very open to correction. ☘️

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No idea if this is the best place to post.
Yes it was. This was sublime, Kirke.
I've just returned home after celebrating St Patrick's Night at my local school where I taught for a significant portion of my life, (actually 36 years). It has been celebrated every year since the school's foundation, (by nuns of the Irish Presentation Order), in 1906, with the exception of the past 3 years. Sr Goretti from Cork, the principal I worked with for many years would have been brought to tears by this gem.
I can't resist posting this - the programme from 1944.
Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.35.20 am (1).jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For clarification, I'm located in a small town half way up the coast of Western Australia, well ahead of the rest of you, time-wise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...A friend, also a recent Irish national by citizenship, sent me this video.
There are other visual versions, but the music is the same.
..'It was written, according to custom, by one of the first pilgrims in the tradition of James to be recorded...
I'm surprised that there has been a somewhat muted reaction to this setting of St Patrick's prayer, called "The Deer's Cry", and I think it may be because the link says "video unavailable" -at least here.
I have to tell you, @Kirkie, that I've been playing a version of it several times a day since you posted. It seems that Rita Connolly has not actually recorded it, but as Kirkie said other versions are available. I have been listening to the version by Lisa Kelly which is available on streaming.
The song is unbelievably haunting. If you should ever needed lyrics to uplift you on pilgrimage I don't think you are likely to find any to match these. I was not familiar with the first verses which precede the well known (shorter) St Patrick's Prayer.
(The musical arrangement is part a major work by the Irish composer Shaun Davey, titled "The Pilgrim". QED.)

I arise today through the strength of heaven
Light of sun, radiance of moon
Splendour of fire, speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind, depth of the sea
Stability of earth, firmness of rock.

I arise today through God's strength to pilot me
God's eye to look before me
God's wisdom to guide me
God's way to lie before me
God's shield to protect me

Thank you Kirkie for bringing this gem to our attention.

The first hearing of it for me was in the CD named Pilgrim, arranged by Shaun Davey. The cd is I am sure still available to purchase.
Here is a link to the first inauguration of President Michael D O'Higgins. He took great care to be inclusive on many fronts with his choice of speakers and other contributors. As the camera pans the room, it captures some historic persons...
Enjoy, and do look for other versions if you feel so inclined! I am delighted to know it has reached the other ends of the earth in your part of the world, @Peregrinopaul .

Thank you Kirkie. I love these renditions you shared. Beautiful. Here is a sublime spoken version before a lecture series on "Celtic Christianity," from a renowned Irish scholar in the US. 🍀

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Kirkie. I love these renditions you shared. Beautiful. Here is a sublime spoken version before a lecture series on "Celtic Christianity," from a renowned Irish scholar in the US. 🍀

Thank you, I need to keep moving now, but will have time at midday to pay attention, and look forward to the spoken version.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back