• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Building Le Puy itinerary. Thoughts and suggestions?

michael heitzman

^^^That's me
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago (June 2016)
Howdy everyone, I'm currently building my itinerary for my upcoming trip (June) from Le Puy to SJPP where I'll continue on to Santiago. From what I've been reading this first leg of the trip will not be able to be as spontaneous as the trip through Spain so I'm planning my stages through France accordingly with each town I'll be stopping in and the gites/auberges that I'll attempting to be booking from here in the States.

So far I've bought a map that is absolutely worthless because it's missing 3/4 of towns on the Le Puy route but I'm making the most of it. I ordered a copy of the Miam Miam Dodo, unfortunately that won't arrive for another two weeks and I can't wait to get this planned out. With that said I would love any and all suggestions/tips/considerations for each town and gite I'll be staying. Nothing is set in stone and would like to build my itinerary based off of suggestions.

I'll be building my itinerary in sections so be sure to check back periodically if you'd like. Here goes:

Day 1: Le Puy ~ Gite d'etape Les Capuchins or Gite d'etape Le Relaise du Pelerin Saint Jacques
Day 2: Montbonnet (17.2km) ~ Gite d'etape L'escoles
Day 3: Saugues (26.1km) ~ Gite d'etape Le Chalet du Pelerin
Day 4: Les Faux (26.5km) ~ Gite d'etape L'Oustal de Parent
Day 5 Aumont-Aubrac (21.4km) ~ ???

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In addition to the Michelin Chemins de Compostelle Le Puy-en-Velay -> Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, here's what I'm using...
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-le-puy/etapa-1-le-puy-en-velay-saint-privat-dallier
http://chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html
Hope these links work and I hope it's what you're looking for and they help you in your planning. Bon chemin!
Thanks. I've been using all three of those to get my information straight with a lot of help from Google translate.

Read the blogs of pilgrims who have walked the Le Puy route - most of us have the URL link in our signature block. Kiwinomad's blog is what got me started.

Read the blogs of pilgrims who have walked the Le Puy route - most of us have the URL link in our signature block. Kiwinomad's blog is what got me started.
Thank you. I already scoped out your wordpress and packing tips. I'm lurking hard these days. Time to lurk on kiwinomad.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd suggest you stop planning. You can manage quite well booking a day ahead or even not at all. If you feel the need to block out your first nights, a few reservations make sense. Le Puy and the first four stages is more than sufficient. After that let your feet and the weather and your fellow trekkers help you out.

I say this as someone who is by nature a planner. I tend to make backup plans for my plans. But I learned quickly that this just wasn't necessary on the Le Puy route. Just know how much time you have and what your average daily distance should be.

I'd suggest you stop planning. You can manage quite well booking a day ahead or even not at all. If you feel the need to block out your first nights, a few reservations make sense. Le Puy and the first four stages is more than sufficient. After that let your feet and the weather and your fellow trekkers help you out.

I say this as someone who is by nature a planner. I tend to make backup plans for my plans. But I learned quickly that this just wasn't necessary on the Le Puy route. Just know how much time you have and what your average daily distance should be.
I'm a very spontaneous person, often going on trips with less than a day of preparation. I was stunned by the beauty of the Le Puy route and knew that's where I had to start my Camino but as I delved into all the information that's out there I found out that it's quite different and I might be stuck without a place to stay. I've been reading that it's a holy year so expect more traffic and I'll be going during peak season. I'm not taking a sleeping bag or tent so I'd hate to be left outside somewhere. From what I gathered it's a necessity to book ahead for most of the Le Puy route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd recommend you go to St. Privat day 2, otherwise it will be a very long walk to Sauges from Montbonnet with a nasty hill (one of the hardest along the route) right after Monistrol. Best to get that hill over with early when you're still fresh. Also, I'd recommend continuing on past Les Faux to La Sauvage. Very cool old stone building next to a pond at the edge of a huge pasture of rolling hills. Beautiful. One of the best evenings and nights I had on the route.

I'd recommend you go to St. Privat day 2, otherwise it will be a very long walk to Sauges from Montbonnet with a nasty hill (one of the hardest along the route) right after Monistrol. Best to get that hill over with early when you're still fresh. Also, I'd recommend continuing on past Les Faux to La Sauvage. Very cool old stone building next to a pond at the edge of a huge pasture of rolling hills. Beautiful. One of the best evenings and nights I had on the route.
I appreciate the advice. I would like to cover as much ground as possible without burning myself out. If I stayed in St. Privat I think it would be too short of day. Perhaps I should stay on Monistrol instead? Also according to my maps Les Faux is several kilometers past Le Sauvage. Maybe on the next time through I can stop by there. If I decided on Monistrol, any recommendations?

Michael, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In 2014 we did the following for the , which worked out well with each day pretty manageable:
Le Puy - St. Privat
St. Privat - Sauges
Sauges - La Savauge
La Savage - Amont Aubrac
We went further, from Amont Aubrac to St. Chenly, (which was really long and the cow pastures endless) and then to St. Come d'Olt. I think I confused Les Faux with La Clauze. My apologies.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Michael, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In 2014 we did the following for the , which worked out well with each day pretty manageable:
Le Puy - St. Privat
St. Privat - Sauges
Sauges - La Savauge
La Savage - Amont Aubrac
We went further, from Amont Aubrac to St. Chenly, (which was really long and the cow pastures endless) and then to St. Come d'Olt. I think I confused Les Faux with La Clauze. My apologies.
No apology needed. I figured you probably meant another town or something. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Howdy everyone, I'm currently building my itinerary for my upcoming trip (June) from Le Puy to SJPP where I'll continue on to Santiago. From what I've been reading this first leg of the trip will not be able to be as spontaneous as the trip through Spain so I'm planning my stages through France accordingly with each town I'll be stopping in and the gites/auberges that I'll attempting to be booking from here in the States.

So far I've bought a map that is absolutely worthless because it's missing 3/4 of towns on the Le Puy route but I'm making the most of it. I ordered a copy of the Miam Miam Dodo, unfortunately that won't arrive for another two weeks and I can't wait to get this planned out. With that said I would love any and all suggestions/tips/considerations for each town and gite I'll be staying. Nothing is set in stone and would like to build my itinerary based off of suggestions.

I'll be building my itinerary in sections so be sure to check back periodically if you'd like. Here goes:

Day 1: Le Puy ~ Gite d'etape Les Capuchins or Gite d'etape Le Relaise du Pelerin Saint Jacques
Day 2: Montbonnet (17.2km) ~ Gite d'etape L'escoles
Day 3: Saugues (26.1km) ~ Gite d'etape Le Chalet du Pelerin
Day 4: Les Faux (26.5km) ~ Gite d'etape L'Oustal de Parent
Day 5 Aumont-Aubrac (21.4km) ~ ???

Hi Michael and Buen Camino!

I am planning to walk the same route as yours and hopefully make it to SDC, although I'll head off a month earlier than you (End of April, beginning of May).

Will follow this thread as there might be some great advice and suggestions, as in the entire forum :)

Hi Michael and Buen Camino!

I am planning to walk the same route as yours and hopefully make it to SDC, although I'll head off a month earlier than you (End of April, beginning of May).

Will follow this thread as there might be some great advice and suggestions, as in the entire forum :)
Hey, El Greco and Buen Camino!

Let me know how that goes. I keep hearing that the Camino changes a bit year to year and would love your thoughts on it when it's complete. I'm hoping for more people to chime in but at the same time I like the idea of it being completely foreign and not knowing what to expect. Safe travels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Michael
I walked that last year but then followed the Norte to SDC. The first day out of Le Puy was to Monistrol where there is a very unwelcoming looking from the outside Accueil but very comfortable on the inside. It is at the bottom of a steep hill. Just follow the goat path down from the road. Also a very good restaurant in the village called Pain du Sucre. Good pizza.
I won't list every place I stayed because you will find your way. I never booked in advance. On another thread I mentioned several instances of people going out of their way to either accommodate me or find accommodation if the gite was full. Also, don't be afraid to occasionally go "hors chemin" off the path when you see a sign for a private chambres d'hote. I stayed at several which were just beautiful. The owners very helpful and generous and I was able to get a good nights sleep - no snorers.
bon chemin

Hi Michael,
We traveled in October and we were very glad that we had booked ahead as many places were closed for the season, both accommodation and restaurants/food shops.
The spontaneity which you are looking for will be easier in June.
I've attached our final travel document. Perhaps it will be useful for you.
Susan and René.

Attachments

• FINAL 2015 Hike.pdf
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 44
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back