• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Building up Stamina etc

A

Anonymous

Well, thought I would open this topic ... I wasn't really ready for my first Camino so this year I am building up my stamina.

I have located a supermarket that sells quite good cheap Rioja and after three weeks of sustained, and sometimes quite painful, practise, I now am able to drink about two-thirds of a bottle each evening and still get out of bed in the morning - now I know that this isn't quite enough, especially once I am deep into Spain, but I am working on it (hic).

with coffee, I've failed miserably as I have given up caffiene - what I've been doing is going into coffee shops every morning - a different one each day - buying a double strength coffee (to show machismo) then, when no one is looking, tipping it into the nearest plant pot - I don't know if I am ready for Spain yet with this ... not quite sure what I will do if it doesn't work.

In my bathroom I have broken the bracket that holds my shower head up and hidden the sink plug and I now pay a neighbour to bang on the door and tell me to hurry up after I have been in there for three minutes - I can now shower, shave, and launder my underwear in 3.25 minutes on average - which should be fine ..

I have fitted a timer in my bedroom and at 0535 every morning it switches on, turning on a bright light and a radio set to a loud talk station (usually Radio Munich) ... it is only a fortnight since I have rigged this up but already I can now get up half an hour later without having bitten a hole in my pillow, which I think is quite good really, though I do still scream a bit ... unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce loud rustling noises and I am hoping that this doesn't catch me out on the Camino, but I've done my best ....

Every other evening I go to a cheap restaurant and order a very thin and overcooked piece of unidentifiable fried meat, with some thin half-cold chips and maybe a scattering of cheap peas, and for dessert I have a small ice still in a tub with a plastic spoon embedded in it, then another cup of coffee which I have to tip into a plant pot. I find that this is fairly similar to every cafe pilgrim meal I have ever had - it is quite good to get used to chewing the strange meat and actually not getting indigestion at night again. I had thought of paying them to laugh in my face if I ask for a vegetarian option, but it wouldn't really work without the moustaches and the cheap white shirts ...

Well, these are my attempts at building up stamina again and I think that I am doing ok so far, though it is quite expensive .. :| - does anyone have any other tips ???

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should line your matress with silver foil so that every time you move the bed will make a noise. Now try and stay still so that you do not disturb the other pilgrims.

At the same time set your tape recorder to play the snorting noise of a pig or elephant. Now pick up a squash ball lie down on your bed and try and turn of the snoring noise by throwing the squash ball at the stop button.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
BrDavid
Once I pick myself up from rolling around on the floor laughing, I will be able to make a proper comment on your arduous training program.
But for now, I thought I'd let you know how it has efffected my husband, who will be joining me for the first 12 days of walking.
As of today, he is adopting your Rioja training. Who knows, he may consider walking the whole Camino if he builds up his wine drinking strength.

It is good that you have decided to share your training routine with others who don't have your experience.

I would make some minor suggestions. With respect to ditching your coffee I can not understand your position. I found that walking a couple of hours in the early morning when it was cool and then stopping for a cafe con leche grande and a pastry was a wonder ful way to start the day. We must remember the importance of a good breakfast.

I certainly agree with practice with the rioja. I found that two glasses of "vino tinto" with my evening meal and I slept very well. Vino Tinto is a better defence against snorers and other noises in the night than ear plugs ever will be.

Lastly I would recommend preparingvery large amounts of french fries and then putting them on the table in front of you so you can get used to wondering "what am i going to do with all those d____d fries?" or thinking "more d_____d fries". It will be good practice and enable you to appreciate your ensalada mixta all the more.

If you have the opportunity You might also practice smiling at people who you don't understand at all. It will be good practice and you will find that it does help.

Regards

John

OH yes, and don't forget to restrict your breakfast, lunch, and many dinners to BOCADILLOS!
You are allowed one full meal every 3 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And you need to practice speaking increasingly loudly in English with "a" or "o" added to the end of each word for the hospitaleros who have not learned proper English. They will understand more the louder you repeat your message.

If you have small grandchildren, 5 years old and under, have them to stay without Mummy and Daddy. This will help you to wake up bright and smiling and able to really get moving in the morning, usually about 6.30, and keep going until about 7pm - still smiling and patient and kind etc. It is wonderful, and real preparation for adapting to the needs of others around you.
If necessary ask to borrow two!
Tia Valeria (alias Grandma) and yes, we have had them for 10 days............. :D

Oh dear .. help! - your replies all of you .. great tips all - I can't stop laughing .. the neighbours are getting worried .. oh dear, can't see for tears ..... :|

this will so help the novice pilgrims ......................... as if they aren't anxious enough .. oh dear ...:|

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Brother:
You are on the same cosmic wavelength as Paddy, my crusty old husband. He just did a sort of Pilgrim Expectations List on his blog... I´m not ashamed to say it is a classic :

http://elcaminounreal.blogspot.com/

(Paddy walked the Frances in 2002, and has been hospitalero all over since, so he knows of what he speaks)
Reb.

Just before going to bed each night, remove the toilet paper from the bathroom & hide it from yourself. That way, you can get yourself used to taking the odd bit of TP when you get a chance during the day, stuffing it in your pockets, & then sleeping with it so you'll have it ready in the morning just in case.....

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think we should put our minds to this because there are other preparations that are not addressed elsewhere on the forum that can be important. While it is important to get the right pack and decide whether shoes or boots the aspiring pilgrim could be spending their time wisely by training.

Learn good habits. For the month before you leave keep your camera, wallet and passport with you at ALL TIMES. Not simply in the same room but with you in the bathroom, in the shower and to bed with you. Make this not a decision you make but a habit. As your mom might have said beter safe than sorry.

Practice looking where you walk. It is fine to look around but there are places on the Camino (I am thinking of Galicia west of O Cebreiro) that you need to be not distracted by the scenery, which is beautiful, but careully watching the way before you to avoid stepping in cow patties.

Practice living with uncertainty. If you have three sources of information with you they may all differ on the distance to the next town and what you will find there. Don't worry though as the next town will be where it always has been and you will find what is there when you get there!

Relax and Enjoy the experience

Hahaha! This is too hilarious! If you could find such a thing, you should try to find a cheap restaurants in which everyone is smoking. That way it won't be too much of a shock when you find yourself eating your meal in a smoke-filled room with no ventilation. It makes you eat the mystery meat and fries and slug down the Rioja more quickly!

lynne

A few more things I thought about training:

JohnBCCanada is correct, you must put your passport and cash into a ziplock baggie and take it into the shower with you. Also, you must wear rubber thongs in the shower to practice not getting athlete's feet.

You may no longer use the car, so hang up the keys. You must walk EVERYWHERE you wish to go, and carry your sleeping bag in case you must stay the night. That 20 minute drive to the supermarket has become a several hour trek, so be prepared to sleep outdoors.

And NO COOKING ALLOWED. Nail your cupboards shut. You are allowed one small saucepan only, along with a bowl and a spoon. No forks or knives unless they're plastic.

You ARE allowed a giant cold beer every 4 hours, however, which should take the sting out of some of this training!

You can not use the washing machine or dryer. . . sorry. You must do your laundry in the sink or bathtub with cold water and NAPTHA soap. It's ok to buy a scrubboard if you'd like :D

No heat or air conditioning allowed. Just think how much electricity you'll save!

And you can only use the computer for 20 minutes each day.

You must practice saying "Buen Camino" to everyone you meet, even if they look at you strangely. And you cannot go anywhere without your walking stick(s) in case you meet vicious dogs or sexual predators!

English is a no-no -- you must pretend nobody understands you.
Speak only Spanish.

Lock your front door at 10 pm and do not unlock it until 7 am.

Dang, isn't this fun? :|

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apart from your own earplugs, take along some spare sets to stick up the NOSES of all the offending snorers. (I'm not quite sure what will happen next)!Anne

:wink: :wink: :wink: Marvellous - all these tips are really helping me to prepare .. just a note on yours Annie, all very true and, like the other tips, very good for building up that necessary stamina .. it is about the 20 minutes on the computer ... don't forget that there will be a queue and when you finally get on it people sort of sideways staring at you, wishing you would finish, and the other things is the search for 1 euro coins to feed the machine with (if it is one of those in bars)

I'm writing all these tips down .. very good stuff .. I hope novice pilgrims are already building up their stamina .............................. :roll:

Take Grandchildren (see earlier post) home 300 miles. This will feel as long as the Camino even though you are travelling by car (Think 'Donkey' in Shrek 2 although they are much more patient and very good)
Next day look after them because Mummy and Daddy are both at work. Walk them to see their play-park, or take a trip to a local attraction with them. This is called a rest day.
Plan their next visit for next year.
Life then continues as you adapt back to 'normal life - whatever that is!!!Similar to the 'post Camino' feeling, so still good training I am sure.
Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You must practice short sprints with your pack on to get to the back of a queue. As you near your destination for the day there will be the unstoppable urge to get there before the other walkers around you.

As this sprint will be a waste of time weightlifting exercises to lift your bag onto the top bunk will be more worthwhile. Climbing training will also be useful too to get up there. This can be done by locking yourself out of your house and getting back in via a window.

In a bucket put 1 shovelful of dirt.
Add 1 shovelful of clay.
Stir well, then add water until you have a sticky, gooey mess.

Step into this bucket every other day with your socks and shoes on, before you go out to walk.

On alternative days, dip them in clear, cold water.

There are a number of posts on other threads voicing concern about showers. Hot/cold, privacy, use for washing clothes etc. We think that this shower really comes under the 'building up stamina'.
We found it on a recent holiday. Certainly not very private!! and only cold water supplied. Terry eyed it with some concern.

To be fair we should add that this is in fact the 'wetsuit washdown' at our campsite and that the privacy cubicles are inside :lol: . However for building up stamina............
Tia Tel and Tia Valeria

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 750
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back