• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buiza to Oviedo

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
Vegacervera to Poladura Via Buiza 27km
The first section of this walk is in my ‘live’ thread in the Camino Olvidado section of the forum.
I got into Buiza just before 1200 and thought I would see some clear marker to designate the meeting of the 2 caminos but saw nothing. However, there was a very clear sign for the San Salvador. This was the first obvious difference to the Olvidado which being a relatively unknown route has less regular camino signs. The first part of the 10km to Poladura is persistently uphill with a simple to follow track and the second section is persistently down. Lovely hike on what is again a beautiful blue sky day. Arrived into Poladura and decided to stay at the Casa Rural Posada. It’s a little expensive at 42 euros but it is full today. Strangely, the Albergue is empty at the moment. I had a look and it’s fine. 12 cosy bunk beds, and there is a kitchen and the usual facilities. There some confusion about the correct phone number for the Albergue and that maybe why it is empty. However, I’m told, by my camino hero Laurie (who was told by another very reliable camino hero called Enders (who was very influential in getting the Olvidado know) that the correct number is 606 104 889! Currently, there are more than 6 peregrinos sitting in the garden here and up to now I’ve only seen 2 Spanish peregrinos since I left Bilbao 12 days ago. Plan to go to Pola de Lena tomorrow.

Attachments

• D43476D1-3943-4E02-8D42-AA1A9925FD20.jpeg
    D43476D1-3943-4E02-8D42-AA1A9925FD20.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
  • EC8CB5C5-3D1A-4090-9065-F37C0135A50F.jpeg
    EC8CB5C5-3D1A-4090-9065-F37C0135A50F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Vegacervera to Poladura Via Buiza 27km
The first section of this walk is in my ‘live’ thread in the Camino Olvidado section of the forum.
I got into Buiza just before 1200 and thought I would see some clear marker to designate the meeting of the 2 caminos but saw nothing. However, there was a very clear sign for the San Salvador. This was the first obvious difference to the Olvidado which being a relatively unknown route has less regular camino signs. The first part of the 10km to Poladura is persistently uphill with a simple to follow track and the second section is persistently down. Lovely hike on what is again a beautiful blue sky day. Arrived into Poladura and decided to stay at the Casa Rural Posada. It’s a little expensive at 42 euros but it is full today. Strangely, the Albergue is empty at the moment. I had a look and it’s fine. 12 cosy bunk beds, and there is a kitchen and the usual facilities. There some confusion about the correct phone number for the Albergue and that maybe why it is empty. However, I’m told, by my camino hero Laurie (who was told by another very reliable camino hero called Enders (who was very influential in getting the Olvidado know) that the correct number is 606 104 889! Currently, there are more than 6 peregrinos sitting in the garden here and up to now I’ve only seen 2 Spanish peregrinos since I left Bilbao 12 days ago. Plan to go to Pola de Lena tomorrow.
I stayed at the albergue in Poladuras with 4 other pilgrims on Saturday night. It was quite nice. The walk on Sunday was breath- taking.. I took my time snd only went as far as Pajaras yesterday.

The albergue in P de la T. has been renovated and equipped with more beds than before In the middle of July it was full. I love this place so much!!! 💒 Wish you all the best, Mike. Enjoy every minute of your walk.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was there Friday night with 5 others. Wasn’t any need to call, door was open and registered next door with the barman at the Posada.

Oh, I noticed this Olvidado sign in Buiza, I’d seen it once or twice earlier but never bent down to see what it said. It was beside a Salvador sign and a Via de la Plata (Norte) sign, which are everywhere. Anyone know why it’s called the VdP Norte?8056EF48-FFAA-4096-BADB-DC7D442E4E1D.jpeg

Oh! How is it possible I have never seen this sign??? o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Poladura to Pola de Lena 41 kms
The Posada was excellent last night. Wonderful food and wine with lots of conversation. Unfortunately, for some strange strange reason it closed the bar at 2030. Another beautiful day today which is very fortunate as I would not have liked walking down some of those slopes in the wet. In places it was slippery even when bone dry. I started off using the wise pilgrim app, I have used these very successfully on other caminos. However, the one for this camino is worse than useless, it wants to take routes that are nowhere near the marked camino trail. Fortunately, the way marking is good. The section from Poladura was up to the highest part of this camino but it is fairly gradual and not difficult in this great weather. As you head towards Pajares you are offered a choice to go to the Albergue at Pajares or go to San Miguel. As I had no need to go to Pajares I took the other route. Further on you are offered the same choice again. I found the part from SM to Llanos to be much more difficult that the first high section as there are lots of very steep up and down stretches. Thereafter the rest of the way into Campomanes was very pleasant especially the part through old chestnut trees. Campomanes to Pola de Lena was relatively flat unless you decide to visit the hermita which adds another very steep hike up and down. I have chosen to stay just outside PdL as the town seems uninspiring so have already walked about 2km of tomorrows stage to Oviedo.

Attachments

• AEBE5167-F0CF-40BA-8017-1FBD81443DDC.jpeg
    AEBE5167-F0CF-40BA-8017-1FBD81443DDC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 25D73723-3049-46FA-83C9-A8875950FCE7.jpeg
    25D73723-3049-46FA-83C9-A8875950FCE7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 6A13B384-D8DD-463F-9B37-054214947906.jpeg
    6A13B384-D8DD-463F-9B37-054214947906.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 3CAE9E80-3160-4145-B440-9F8A05C7F33F.jpeg
    3CAE9E80-3160-4145-B440-9F8A05C7F33F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Pola de Lena to Oviedo 32kms
Overcast at the start but fortunately the rain stayed away despite lots of people carrying umbrellas! The route from PdL is fairly dull at the start as it’s along the road. However, it moves onto an extremely popular walking path which goes most of the way to Mieres. After leaving Mieres the path gets back onto one of the sende verde and it’s a rewarding walk to Oviedo with a couple of small hills on the way. Fortunately, this nice track takes you to within about 5 km of the city before you get the first sighting of it and to within 2km before you reach the really built up part. All of today’s route was very well marked up until the last 500m or so as you head for the cathedral. Unfortunately, I got there just after it closed at 1330. However, I’m told it will reopen at 1600 so I can get my sello then. Staying in an Airbnb room tonight that’s 5 min from the cathedral. Off to the camino Primitivo tomorrow so I’ll start a new thread in that part of the forum. Very glad I walked the San Salvador as it was a good way to join the Olvidado to the Primitivo. However, in terms of experiences and outstanding scenery the Olvidado stands out.

Attachments

• 4B5290CE-642E-4A77-832B-9F56B48A9FB8.jpeg
    4B5290CE-642E-4A77-832B-9F56B48A9FB8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back