• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bull run

22Andym22

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino in April/May 2015
Would anyone recommend the bull run in Pamplona? Either taking part or maybe just watching from a far. I'm just basically asking if anyone has done it along the way to Santiago and recommend or have any tips for a first timer...?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was in Pamplona on my first Camino just after San Fermin, and my second Camino about a month before. All I can recommend (and that's from people I knew who have been there during San Fermin) is that you make reservations for accommodation now if you decide to be there at that time as they fill up fast and get expensive.

Would anyone recommend the bull run in Pamplona? Either taking part or maybe just watching from a far. I'm just basically asking if anyone has done it along the way to Santiago and recommend or have any tips for a first timer...?

Most likely it is already too late for you to find an affordable place to stay those dates. SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You cannot watch from far, as the bulls run through the streets. They don't often break through the barriers, but when they do, pray that it's not where you are standing. The luxury places are windows one floor up from the street. But that should even harder to find than a hotel room. If you are in Pamplona at festival time, you should get one of those red scarfs which the locals wear.

I suppose what I meant from by watching from a far was not get involved in the actual running of the bulls but just in festival it's self. Thanks for the replies... I have an excuse to walk again next year.

The part of San Fermin that bothers me the most is it has turned into something like the Mardi Gras in NO. Lots of kids, drinking and drunk all night long and streets littered with broken glass. There are other festivals in Spain and France which also feature running bulls, for example the Fete de Bayonne late in July this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was in Puenta la Reina in late July on my first Camino while they were celebrating San Fermin. Not quite the crowds and spectacle that is Pamplona, I am sure, but it was fun to observe and the streets filled up at night, and they ran the steers (not Spanish fighting bulls) during the day. Lot's of celebrating.
El Camino day 4-3 (4).jpg

I also was there during their fete. I loved watching the parade of kids walking on tall spiked shoes and pushing things that looked like scooters with bull horns on the handle bars. It is a beautiful festival. Okay so there weren't bull running in the street but the stores and side street were barricaded. I saw those beasts in the trucks they were transported to the town and I for one would not want to meet one face to face. Mark, you are braver than me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also was there during their fete. I loved watching the parade of kids walking on tall spiked shoes and pushing things that looked like scooters with bull horns on the handle bars. It is a beautiful festival. Okay so there weren't bull running in the street but the stores and side street were barricaded. I saw those beasts in the trucks they were transported to the town and I for one would not want to meet one face to face. Mark, you are braver than me.
They had something like that they were pushing around at night and the horns were on fire and exploding with fireworks of sorts I think. It was cool.
If you notice Don. that photo was taken from a slightly elevated position. The steers, although not the testosterone filled territorial beasts Spanish fighting bulls are, can still do some damage. They are just less interested in working you over. I would jump up on a barricade when they got close, ha ha. I ain't as young and nimble as I used to be. :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back