• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bum Bag cover

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Over the years I've been modifying my backpack by having extra tags here and there to accommodate various add ons. Now I'm getting pretty close to finishing the mods, the last one is to have attachments, so I can clip my bum bag to the backpack waist belt, when I have it around my waist I just can't get in comfortable. Now another problem arises because my bumbag is not waterproof (I know buy one that is) but I've become very attached to the old thing.
Discussing this problem with My In House Advisor, she came up with the idea of using a shower cap, excellent I thought, so something else to try before I fly.
Just thought I'd share the crazy things that go through my mind as I get prepared.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If a shower cap won't fit, depending on the size, try a bicycle helmet cover! I have one for my large bumbag that I use for walks at home, it fits perfectly.
Thanks, I managed to find a nice colourful shower cap and as I speak a little catch is being attached so it won't come off.
The suggestion of the cycle helmet cover is s good one to know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I find that fanny packs or bum bags come in various shapes and sizes so it will probably require experimentation to find the right size. On our my last trip we used the very light IKEA rain poncho, which was recommended on this forum. They kept everything dry and was light and inexpensive. It does not cover the lower legs nor arms. However we were able to use the hiking poles inside the poncho. It did allow enough room to cover our pack, hips and waist till about the knee...I am 5’8”.

I try and use caution about putting valuables in fanny packs as I think it would be the first thing a thief would target. I do put one credit card and a small amount of cash in it for daily stops...no more than 30 euros....If I need more I go to the second stash and replenish the small pack before stopping.

On our my last trip we used the very light IKEA rain poncho, which was recommended on this forum. They kept everything dry and was light and inexpensive. It does not cover the lower legs nor arms. However we were able to use the hiking poles inside the poncho. It did allow enough room to cover our pack, hips and waist till about the knee...I am 5’8”.
@Marbe2
Thanks very much for this review of the Ikea poncho. I bought one after the recommendation on this forum, but have been hesitant about using it on camino. Your thread has encouraged me. But I will take my rain pants to keep my lower half dry and keep me warm when it's cold.

If a shower cap won't fit, depending on the size, try a bicycle helmet cover! I have one for my large bumbag that I use for walks at home, it fits perfectly.

I learned last winter, when my mom was visiting us here in Florida, that shower caps come in regular and XL sizes. Evidently some ladies use the XL size to cover curlers in their hair while showering. Go figure... I learn something new every day... I suspect it might be a generational thing...

Anyway, we were able to find said XL shower cap in a nearby "Sally" brand beauty supply shop. This a place where salon owners go for supplies. But, it is open to the public as well.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've taken a photo so the Shower Cap nerds can see where I'm going with this, I thought I'd model it myself but thought better of it.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

So if you're out on the camino or other trails and it's raining and you see this colourful rain cover coming towards you, then you've met Waka.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Albertagirl
I tied the ponch, using lite piece of chord around the waste through the arm holes on rainy days. Worked very well when there was high wind. Kept it loose enough to keep poles underneath but secure enough so that high winds did not impact walking. 🙂

Over the years I've been modifying my backpack by having extra tags here and there to accommodate various add ons. Now I'm getting pretty close to finishing the mods, the last one is to have attachments, so I can clip my bum bag to the backpack waist belt, when I have it around my waist I just can't get in comfortable. Now another problem arises because my bumbag is not waterproof (I know buy one that is) but I've become very attached to the old thing.
Discussing this problem with My In House Advisor, she came up with the idea of using a shower cap, excellent I thought, so something else to try before I fly.
Just thought I'd share the crazy things that go through my mind as I get prepared.

You also could just put your stuff in a plastic bag inside the bum bag. Personally I've never done either and my stuff has never gotten wet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My Ribz Wear pack (not water proof) is nylon and I put the contents in zip lock bags and it does the trick. Ribz Wear actually you wear like a vest and has to large pouches I use for paperwork, gloves, snacks, extra water when needed and camera or phone and I have a rain jacket that will cover it when needed. I use it for day hikes here at home.41V0gLdr-IL__SX425_.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shower caps (the tiny clear kind you get for free in hotel rooms) can also be useful to cover the soles of your boots or trail shoes, should you ever need to carry them in or on your pack and walk with your back-up footwear, as happened to me when I developed ugly blisters.

[QUOTE = "Yoyo, bericht: 686893, lid: 63124"] Douchekapjes (de kleine doorzichtige soort die u gratis krijgt in hotelkamers) kunnen ook nuttig zijn om de zolen van uw laarzen of sleepschoenen te bedekken, mocht u dit ooit nodig hebben draag ze in of op je rugzak en loop met je reserve schoeisel, zoals me gebeurde toen ik lelijke blaren ontwikkelde. [/ QUOTE]
En dat allemaal voor een stukje wandelen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My Ribz Wear pack (not water proof) is nylon and I put the contents in zip lock bags and it does the trick. Ribz Wear actually you wear like a vest and has to large pouches I use for paperwork, gloves, snacks, extra water when needed and camera or phone and I have a rain jacket that will cover it when needed. I use it for day hikes here at home.View attachment 49603

I tried RibZWear a couple of years ago. For a 'gut challenged' fellow like me, I found the closed. zip front too confining and hot. This said... the concept is really, REALLY good, IMHO.

My original idea when trying this rig, was to try to combine this with a largish 'fanny' pack at the back. The combined volume would approach the optimum Camino volume of around 35 liters. The rear back would carry sleeping gear, and other items needed overnight, after you stop for the day. The two side bags are easily accessible during the day and hold everything else you might have to access while walking.

My thought was to keep the upper torso clear of a rucksack to improve air circulation. But, as I mentioned, the front zipping RibzWear was too hot and confining for ME. Everyone is different.

If they had a version that replaced the zips with maybe two snap fasteners, allowing further 'gut adjustment' and improved air circulation, I would reconsider using them in my optimum carry system. Another enhancement might be an optional "trunk" that attaches to the rear of the harness, to ride over the buttocks. One can always hope... But, IMHO, the basic concept has merit.

Hope this helps further the dialog...

Tom, if you weren't already retired, I'd suggest a new career for you, as a design engineer of new and better products for Osprey!;)

I can only suggest what I have found works. A plastic shopping bag. I keep one and only one. Wrap the flattened bag around as many times as it will go. If you have a couple of rubber bands, they can go on either side to minimize water getting in via the belts. When it is worn out, recycle it and get another. Nothing cheaper or easier. (And if you need a bag, still got one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tried a shower cap over my bumbag last year on the Via de la Plata. It may have been ‘shower proof’ but didn’t work in a deluge.

I tried a shower cap over my bumbag last year on the Via de la Plata. It may have been ‘shower proof’ but didn’t work in a deluge.
I guess there are varying degrees of shower cap, the one I've shown has a double lining inside, I also turned it inside out and filled it with water and left it overnight, I was pleased to see that not a drop had leaked through.
Anyway during Feb and March I'm sure I'll get no rain on the VDLPo_O

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.