• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bum Belt - Money Belt -Storing valuables

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
I've only ever had a wallet, I'm going to have to change.
Now 'bum belt' get in the way of ruck sack, how do other deal with this?
As I appreciate valuables cannot go in the rucksack.

Love to know the solution as I don't see many belts in pics!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have my wallet inside a plastic bag in my hip pocket. A waist pack just for your wallet would probably be unnecessary extra weight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I avoid having anything valuable behind me when travelling, but it was difficult to achieve this on the Camino. I ended up with my wallet in a shirt pocket with a zipper closure, my passport inside a small zip-lock bag and then carried in a neck-pouch that could also be worn on my belt. Last, I carried my credential and guidebook inside the top pouch on my main pack where I could get at it reasonably quickly once the pack was off.

In the evening, I would put my wallet, passport, credential, guidebook, travel diary, camera, pen and other things I wanted to carry with me into my sleeping bag stuff sack if I was inside, which could then go into my small 'day bag' if I went out sight seeing or shopping.

This was then easy to put into a safe place in my bunk when I went to bed. Try not to leave this stuff unattended. This is easy to say, but there were a few times I forgot, fortunately without losing anything.

Once you have made up your mind on your security arrangements, and where things are, don't discuss it with others, even trusted friends. I also avoid conversations about how much cash I am carrying, when I am going to visit the bank or ATM to top up my cash, and how much I intend to withdraw. Spain didn't appear to be as bad as other places that I have travelled, but there were still rumours of people having money or other things stolen.

Abbeydore said:
Now 'bum belt' get in the way of ruck sack, how do other deal with this?
Hi Abbeydore,
My wife and I both wore hipbelts. We soon found that they just fitted in with the other "belts & buckles". We tended to wear them to one side but infront. Handy for credit cards, passport, money, lip balm, sunscreen, rubber tips of poles (quite walking through villages) etc. You obviously don't want anything huge but I will use one again next time.
Buen Camino
Col

Use a 'bum bag' (fanny pack in the States) instead of a money belt. Shorten the strap and wear the bum belt around your waist outside of your clothing. The hip belt of your backpack should sit on the top of your hip bones, so there will be room for the bum bag too. I found this a very handy position as it kept my camera at the ready. It's also handy to always have your valuable on you, especially when you have to leave your backpack outside of a bar/cafe. Also easy to take your valuables into the shower stall with you (I carried a suction-cup hook with me in case there wasn't anywhere to hang things inside the shower stall).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I find the thought of another thing riding on my hips, besides my pack hipbelt, just doesn't work for me. Instead I have used a Currency Organizer http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/currency-organizer-nylon/18655?productid=66101 as my wallet for two years now. My pants have deep pockets and this fits nicely in the pocket. It holds my passport, multiple continents of folding money, and credit cards. Easy to always keep on my person.

Currency Organizer
Most such items are not waterproof, and everything in it will be soaked in either rain or perspiration. Whatever you use, I suggest putting it in a plastic bag!

I've made a couple of these - they are great for the Camino:

I first saw them in Rome at a street market, in various colors, but lighter weight fabric. I bought several for gifts.

Then, I saw them on the Camino and bought another because the Roman one was too flimsy. I want to say it was at the albergue in Sto. Domingo del Calzada. They were of a heavy denim in various colors. They weren't expensive, and you might want to check there. I want to say they were under 15 Euro. I wore it with my pack for several months walking and it held up nicely. I saw a couple wearing them who had decorated them up with fabric paints - they looked pretty cool.

When I got home, I took apart one of the Roman ones and made a pattern. I incorporated what I DID like about the Roman version and that was a pocket on the back side you wear against your body. I also made the upper pocket on the front with velcro so a guidebook could go in there without having to zip it. I can't decide which I like better. The velcro is lighter weight.

Anyway, it's just another option. It carries more than a fanny pack and is a bit more organized. I love mine!

Attachments

• purse 1.jpg
    purse 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 10,581
  • hip bag brierley.jpg
    hip bag brierley.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 10,580
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore a "bum belt" with the pouch in front where my camera, docs and cash were always safe and readily accessible. I only took it off to shower or for sleeping. Since I didn´t wear it too tight my backpack belt did up underneath quite comfortably.
Sandra :arrow:

I did that too, Sandra, my first Camino. It was a smaller sized "fanny pack"... is that what you're calling a bum belt? It fit right under my pack belt and really was quite comfortable. Seems it was made of nylon. It was very lightweight. It held my camera, my guidebook, and the day's cash.

Always a tricky one! Each to their own really, what people feel comfortable with ...

I really like AnnieSantiago's waistbag design - do look at her link. It is strangely close to the 'scrip' worn by medieaval monastics.

I try to take the minimum with me, like others, but .. passport, cash card, contact info, pilgrim passport .. it adds up.
Each to their own but separating pilgrim passport from the other stuff is a good way to go - then you don't 'reveal' your portable wealth when you get it out.

AliPilgrim's "I carried a suction-cup hook with me in case there wasn't anywhere to hang things inside the shower stall" is a brilliant idea.

Whenever abroad I always hide my driving licence, my bank details & emergency phone numbers, and two fifty euro notes in a tightly closed clingfilm wrap somewhere (no, won't tell you where) so that if everything disappears - even if the whole rucksack thing goes, perhaps by a gang mugging, I have cash, I.D., and the ability to contact still with me. Takes up a very small space.

Using a small ziplock instead of taking the whole wallet for the other stuff saves on bulk.

Whenever abroad I always hide my driving licence, my bank details & emergency phone numbers, and two fifty euro notes in a tightly closed clingfilm wrap somewhere (no, won't tell you where) so that if everything disappears - even if the whole rucksack thing goes, perhaps by a gang mugging, I have cash, I.D., and the ability to contact still with me. Takes up a very small space.

Oh David, this made me laugh.. I'm sorry... my mind i warped... I am soooooooooooooooo bad! :lol:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a mode of thinking here that is counterproductive to lightweight packing. Outdoor equipment catalogs are filled with items that make a specific task or event a little more convenient, but you have to go back to basics when you are trying to keep weight down. Yes, it would be nice to have a comfortable fanny pack, maybe even one with a pocket for a small water bottle and a separate pockets that are custom-fit for credit cards and a passport, when walking around town in the afternoon. But the objective is to have money, credit card, camera, and glasses securely with you. Sure, a pack would be nice, but your objective can be achieved by putting the items in your pocket(s). They won't stay dry there, so I suggest adding plastic bags, which you should use inside the fanny pack anyway. Pockets seem to have disappeared from women's pants. I don't know why. Some style thing, I suppose. If Yves St. Laurent has convinced you to buy pants without pockets, then a fanny pack may be necessary, and you have relegated yourself to one who carries unnecessary weight for reasons completely unrelated to a pilgrimage. An alternative would be to buy pants with pockets. I suggest that you carefully think about any single-purpose item. Is it worth carrying for a month if it duplicates something that you already have?

Lifesystems neck pouch, worn inside shirt, doesn't interfere with hip belt or sternum strap. Takes passport, money, cards etc.
As Falcon said - wrap everything in a plastic bag, otherwise your money will get soaked in sweat!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I do agree that I like pockets best, especially if they velcro or button close.
But (speaking for myself) women's hips sometimes get in the way of making pockets functional and I've had too many instances where things fell out of pockets.

I do like the travel pants with the zip off legs that have pockets lower on the hip.
And it IS nice not to have any extra weight around the waist.

Bum belt, bum bag, fanny pack...I think they´re all the same thing Annie. Personally I prefer one of them to pockets (which my travel pants had). Things in pockets can get squashed and also may fall out when you sit down or go to the toilet, and a camera can be a bit bulky. My bum belt had divisions so I always knew exactly where everything was and nothing went astray.
Sandra :arrow:

women's hips sometimes get in the way of making pockets functional
As in, "Does this make me look fat?" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...may fall out when you sit down
I used Redington brand convertible pants on one walk, and every time I sat down, my pockets emptied. In nearly identical Columbia and Moose Creek convertible pants, I have not had that problem. So small design differences can make huge operational differences. I don't know how you test for the problem in the store. You would have to put on the pants, fill the pockets with coins, knifes, etc., then sit on the floor for a while. Zippers keep stuff in. Velcro and buttons can leave gaps in the closing. Pockets at the thigh joint empty more easily than ones lower on the leg. Another good thing about pockets is that they follow you around. It is pretty easy to leave a fanny pack hanging on a chair back, but that won't happen with pockets.

We are moving into fashion here as well as gender differences .... traditionally women have always carried all those lots and lots of 'things' in a separate bag which they then have to carry around, men have always put their few 'things' into their pockets.

Surely the answer is obvious? Buy a very very lightweight bum bag (fanny pack). Put all those items into it and keep it in the rucksack. When you take off the rucksack, such as arriving at a refugio, take it out of the rucksack and put it on. :wink:

you might want to take a look at the OMM chest pouch
Heres a review:

Need more space in front of you for bits and bobs?

The OMM Trio 4 litre chest pouch is very useful if you require extra space or your pack doesn't have hip belt pockets. Designed to fit any rucksack, it will hold a water bottle (in an internal pouch), camera, snacks and gloves and so on.

On the flip side there's a map pouch with a clear PVC and mesh cover which will hold a folded map or A4 print out with ease. This is covered with a mesh to reduce moisture build up.

Only 150g and comes with attachments to clip securely to the shoulder harness and waist belt, to save the pouch bouncing around when adventure racing.

Although specifically designed to fit OMM packs, it will also fit most other packs without too much of a problem.

http://www.petesy.co.uk/omm-exclusive-1-trio-chest-pouch/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really like the looks of the OMM Trio chest pack.
That looks like it would be a great addition to a pack. Help to balance some of the weight to the front and make things more available.
Trouble is ... no one handles in U.S. that I could find. :cry:

I guess Aarn are worth a look
I saved a few ounces and used a GoLite on my last walk. I missed the Aarn pack almost every hour. I will be going back to the Aarn for the next one (with Pacer Poles).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have hesitations about attaching items such as mini-packs across the front of a loaded backpack.

The reason is because of a tragic accident that happened some years ago in Bath, the town I used to live in. A mile or so up river there is a weir with a pub and a small ferry stop. A French visitor, just a boy of 16 years old, was crouching down by the river, enjoying the view, being a tourist.
He was wearing his pack, which was fastened at the front - the supporting hip belt. He accidentally over-balanced and fell in. Because he couldn't free his pack he couldn't surface and he drowned, within a few feet of other people. It happened really quickly. An absolute tragedy - the poor poor parents.

The thing is, had he released that belt before he stood at the river bank he would have survived.

Since that event I have been really aware that there may be times when the ability to quickly jettison the pack could be a lifesaver, and now always unclip my hip belt if I am near something I consider potentially dangerous - such as the edge of a drop and so on.

I could never wear an accessory pack that clipped across my chest, harnessing me fully into the backpack.
Sure, that boy's fatal accident was a rare occurrence, it is just that it struck home and has made me wary - you never know what is going to happen next.

I used to know an antique dealer who had spent years working with cattle in his younger days and he always wore a hat. he told me it was habit as, if in a field and a bull started to chase him he would throw the hat on the ground and get out of the field. He said the bull would always stop at the hat. I like the idea of shucking off a rucksack and leaving a field intact.

Just a thought :shock:

The Aarn has a chest strap, just like a standard pack. The front pockets do not rest on your shoulders; they rest on the waist belt, so that you can slide your hand under the shoulder strap at all times.

Always unfasten all belts and clips when crossing water. It is not like Sheen in the film, "The Way." Flowing water and shoes and jacket will sink you like a rock. Sheen probably had a flotation vest on for that scene, a major disservice to canoe and kayak safety (and he did not have a canoe or kayak).

Sure - my comment was re the OMM chest pack.

I haven't seen the Way yet - so he goes into flowing water fully clothed with a pack on and survives? that'll be the day!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the reminder, that we may need to get our rucksack off very quickly, & that we should release all while near water, or crossing water; Thank you.

Regarding the cool hip pouches Anniesantiago referred to...they were not available for sale at the albergue in Sto Domingo de la Calzada. Maybe in a store nearby, but not at the albergue. The hipsters in Portland wear those type of pouches,I have friends how sell them in varying designs, shapes and colors....cool idea. I used a pouch from Osprey that was designed to attach to the front of my Osprey Aura pack. It was great for a snack, my camera, and anything else I thought I might need. http://www.rei.com/product/782056/ospre ... ory-pocket

Otherwise, I carried important stuff in a money belt pouch than attached to my belt and hung down inside my pants...like this: http://www.rei.com/product/819687/eagle ... cket-pouch

Everything went into a lightweight waterproof pouch and into the shower with me. Otherwise it was always with me.

I've just wracked my brain trying to figure out where I bought this hip bag.
I know they had them in O'Cebreiro. I just called Joe and he reminded me that I wanted to buy one there, and looked at them, but felt they were too expensive there.

I just don't remember... now it's bugging me.
I'm going through my journals... :roll:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is quite good except that the wheels are much too small - carries lots of stuff though!!

Attachments

• backpack_couch.jpg
    backpack_couch.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10,059
Had some fun reading this.

I too have always carried my valuables in a neck pouch. It is not always confortable and sometimes money does get a bit damp with the sweat, but otherwise it has served me well.

ps. David when I come to visit you I am bringing my camera to photograph how and where you carry your valuables in your secret hiding place. annie has promised me lots of money to do so. :D + :oops: + :shock:

+@^^ said:
you might want to take a look at the OMM chest pouch
Heres a review:
The OMM Trio 4 litre chest pouch is very useful if you require extra space or your pack doesn't have hip belt pockets. Designed to fit any rucksack, it will hold a water bottle (in an internal pouch), camera, snacks and gloves and so on.

http://www.petesy.co.uk/omm-exclusive-1-trio-chest-pouch/

I ordered one of these and will post my thoughts after receipt. Looks good at this point.
Thanks Tam.
Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I have the OMM chest pouch and i really like it. It's not difficult at all to get it off your rucksack (it clicks very easy in the rucksack (if you have an OMM rucksack as well; if not you use hooks; in fact you attach it in a few different ways, also on the back of a pack). it's small and light and very practical, and in the evening you can make a small bag out of it, that hangs over your shoulder. Ideal for me. And it does look great; i think YSLaurent would agree; and it doesn't make me look fat :)
ria

As someone who has not walked yet two thoughts come to mind> Practicality should top fashion . It usually does for me. And how much care /security is needed. Are pick pockets/thieves prevelent along the Camino. Does one need to sleep with a grip on your wallet inside your sleeping bag?

wallet inside your sleeping bag
I do. You may have 120 roommates some nights, and that is a lot of people to trust if your wallet is in your backpack.

As to pickpockets, there may be some in big cities and airports. I felt very uncomfortable walking through the Sahagun bus station -- lots of disreputable-looking folks, who might really have been very nice.

That said, I have never encountered any crime, and have left hat and camera behind, to return and find them right where I left them. I have locked my car and house every time I left them for the last forty years, so I can be classified as paranoid! I do not suggest that is a good attitude.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh boy, I would never (now) go by the looks of the people in the vicinity. I have only been robbed once - on the Madrid Metro. The perp was a 17ish-year old girl with pigtails and dressed like she was going home from a private school. She squeezed in behind me up against the door of a full car and relieved me of my camera - zipped into my pack.

I have been a life-long cynic. However after this incident my approach has changed. I'm not paranoid, but have a whole new level of vigilance and my scanning and sensing abilities are always on high alert when in crowded venues.

Another thought: I was with my husband and we were talking during this incident - this might have been a factor. If I'd had been alone, I think my vigilance and my instincts would have been keener and on a higher level. Only my assumption, since that hasn't been my experience. However, I will say that when I get on the subway in Toronto or Tokyo, that scanning and vigilence comes to the fore again! :shock:

lynne

My feelings are:-
If we wouldn't put temptation in some-one's way at home then we shouldn't on the Camino either. Most folk are OK but but it only takes 1 to spoil things. So.......

If it is of value keep it with you at all times. Wear it at night or keep it in bed with you. If you do not need it on the Camino then leave it at home safely. (Eg I only wear sleepers, no earings, and no rings apart from my wedding ring., anything else left at home with family. Keep my watch on my wrist. Money and passport ...etc )

Then relax and enjoy your Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Last Eastern Saturday I was pick-pocketed while having breakfast in Fonfria. My purse was taken out of my pocket (no zip) with all my money and visa and amex.

Fortunately my passport was in my rucksack, and even more fortunately so was my pilgrim´s passport. Usually I keep some €50- 100 in some other pockets but not then. So please, keep some EMERGENCY MONEY in your rucksack, in your daypack, in your fanny bag etc.

While sleeping I also keep all the valuables in my sleeping bag (in a day bag or in my pockets if I sleep with the next day´s clothes on). I carry all the valuables all the time with me.

When I told my new pilgrim friends about this their first question was: WHAT ABOUT YOUR CREDENTIALS? Everything else (passport, money, credit cards) is replacable but not the pilgrim´s passport!
buen camino
annie

Good advice. Generally I keep a photocopy of my passport + 50€ + an alternative credit/cash card in a different location to my wallet which is always in a zipped pocket.

As has been said we should take the normal precautions we would take at home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
email a copy of all valuable docs to youeself, eg passport, flight ticket, prescription for meds, medical insurance details
no need to panic if you get mugges and your kit stolen
just find an internet cafe, and youre back in business

+@^^ said:
email a copy of all valuable docs to youeself, eg passport, flight ticket, prescription for meds, medical insurance details
no need to panic if you get mugges and your kit stolen
just find an internet cafe, and youre back in business

That is a really good advice except that there was no internet in Fonfria (due to a thunder storm a week before). I always have photocopies of the important documents in my rucksack though.

I'm walking Camino in October. I added a zipper to one of the pockets in my quick dry pants with zip off legs, and also added an inside pocket that would be accessible only when the front zipper was down. Good place to store your passport and extra cash, which you should not have to retrieve. But I'll also bring a fanny/bum pack and wear it in front to store my camera, credentials and some cash.
Hope it works.

€60,-
Just returned from Spain, Camino del Norte. I developed a system of keeping all valuables, passport, wallet in a zipped fanny pack inside my backpack. When ever I stopped walking or put my backpack down I took the fanny pack out & carried on my person.... in restaurants, bathrooms, stores or where ever. The fanny pack was with me at all times. This system worked well for me. No problems to report.

Just back from Camino Frances. During the day I carried my wallet with minimum cash, but my credit card along with my passport in my pants pocket, which had a zipper. My money belt with cash was carried in my fanny(worn in front) pack. At night I put the wallet and passport in the money belt and wore it around my waist. I felt quite safe and didn't have that extra item wrapped around my waist while walking.

When on holiday in Madrid earlier than my caminos last year I purchased an "extra pocket" which has a belt loop and hangs inside the trouser waistband. It has a zip so the contents are out of sight and very secure. I kept cards, contact info/passport/insurance/other photocopies and most of my money in it. I carried a small amount of money in my zipped trouser side pocket and my passport and credential in a waterproof holder in my zipped leg pocket (for easy access at albergues). Each evening I merely placed the holder into the extra pocket. I have a bag liner with an integral pillow cover, so I put the pocket there while I am asleep). I found it very comfortable and didn't even notice I was wearing it. In fact last week in Bilbao I was looking around my hotel room for it, not realising I was wearing it! Alzheimers rules!
Buen camino
allan

€60,-
I walked in convertible pants with four front pockets in the shorts section. In one pocket, I carried a small wallet that contained cash, one bank card and one credit card (all I ever needed). In the second pocket, I carried passport, sunglasses and small audio recorder. In the third were sunscreen and mobile phone (for wifi use). The last one held lipbalm, small Swiss army knife, kleenex and reading glasses. I kept my camera in a small zippered pocket built into the waistbelt of my backpack, where it was always handy. At the end of each day, all this stuff remained in the walking trousers while I had a shower (they were on a hook nearby) and then the valuables were transferred to my "evening" pants. The pockets in both sets of pants closed with either velcro or a zipper, so nothing could fall out. This arrangement worked beautifully all the way, and I was very glad not to have a money belt or some other big obvious appendage at my waist.

Hi
I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can help. I've got a little day pack that attaches (clips) to my main pack. Was just going to put everything in there, and then when I go out at night, sightseeing etc I can just unclip the little day pack and take with me... Is there any concern about doing it this way? Will have little padlocks on both day pack and main pack...

I don't know about others but that sounds pretty good to me. The best safety is yourself, keep an eye on things.
I was in a cafe yesterday, and as I left I saw a mobile phone on a table. I was about to pick it up and hand it in when a chap walked back from the counter where he had gone to collect something. Don't do that sort of thing and you'll be fine.

It is pretty safe out there on the Camino - but every garden has a serpent so just be aware, is all.

I read a while back of someone who carries a wallet with just a few euro bills slightly sticking out. The idea is that if he is mugged in a city he would just throw that wallet on the ground at the feet of the muggers and then run away. The thief/thieves will stop to pick up the wallet and you get away scot-free with your real wallet intact - I like that :wink:

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi David
Many thanks for your reply! i am definitely just going to do my day pack plan!
Caroline

If you have a fabric wallet, put the hook portion of Velcro on both sides. It makes is more difficult to slide out (including sitting on the ground and having it accidentally slide out).

The problem with a completely separate day pack dangling on the outside of your pack where you cannot see it, is that it will be a tempting target for someone to simply cut it off. I put on my pack cover in the Burgos bus station because of all the "suspicious" people. Paranoia, I am sure, but you won't want anything valuable looking on your pack where you cannot see it. Snatchpurses are clever. They will hang around a sign that says "Beware of Pickpockets" to see where targets pat to check their valuables. They then know whether the wallet is in a back pocket, front pants pocket, or shirt/jacket pocket. A quick razor blade cut, and the wallet drops out.

I have pack with a removable top section that becomes a day pack. Since it appears to be an integral part of the pack, it is not a separate target.

Hi Falcon
Agree about a day pack just hanging off a main pack but this one has 2 clips on the top and 4 in the sides of the back so its quite a process getting it off, and clipping it on!! Even slicing it off they would have to make 6 cuts to get it off!
Also not intending to take a wallet. Just my passport and some cash. Not sure i need anything else!
Thanks again
Caroline

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Carried everything of value in a fanny pack which sat inside my pack right on top. Whenever I stopped I could easily slip it out and snap it on. It went into the shower with me in the afternoons and into my sleep sack at night, where I could keep it next to my body. Where wearing it around town in the afternoons or evenings, I always kept my shirt or jacket pulled out to cover the back and side strap so it wasn't obvious and not easily grabbed. It worked for me!
Monica :arrow:

Dawntreader said:
Yes, I bought one several months ago in the early stages of planning my Camino. It is wonderful. It came on holiday to Costa Rica/Switzerland - so had minimal use of a handbag as you can carry documents and money, ipad and phone, sunglasses and pens safely and discreetly as the pockets are inside and therefore not visible. Good fit, well made, pricey but worth every penny. I will have no use of a bumbag on my Camino starting in 47 DAYS and my Scottevest will never be far from me! (I may even sleep in it) Good luck with your planning and on your Camino.

Karin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have had good luck on trips with zip off cargo pants with variable in baggies. I particularly like Kuhl Stealth Liberators because of the many deep pockets and multiple zippers.
http://www.kuhl.com/products/5041/

Karin, I will be starting from Le Puy about the 28th, and Roncevalles the 12th.

Mike

Hi all
Is there any problem with carrying valuables in main backpack?
Obviously when I go shower or out and about have a small bag to take with me, but if i have them in the inside of my main pack, I cant see the problem.
I'm pretty sure I'll feel someone digging around in there looking for valuables!? (Its 65L so big pack to rummage through hahahah)
Thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks

chinook said:
I have had good luck on trips with zip off cargo pants with variable in baggies. I particularly like Kuhl Stealth Liberators because of the many deep pockets and multiple zippers.
http://www.kuhl.com/products/5041/

Karin, I will be starting from Le Puy about the 28th, and Roncevalles the 12th.

Mike
28th of.......? 12th of.....? You'll be passing near our home. Buen Camino!
Karin 46 days to go....... From Condom

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.