• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bum Knee

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
long story short..
think my knee is in trouble
think i finally wore the cartilage out recently after my fall and now some ugly..catchy,grindy,loose feelings are emanating from my back leg..
bummer...but after decades of awesome service from reconstruction..it was expected

but! now i get to wear one of those cool outside the pants knee brace!
carry on Winter Pilgrim!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Major bad luck William. There are some things we can control and some things that we can't. I hope it works out for you my friend, I will be thinking of you and sending good wishes. Take it easy.

Oh dear.
I am very sorry to hear this William...
Expected or not, it is never easy when the body breaks, decays, or simply wears out.
Thinking of you, hoping that it can be patched up!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Guys
heroic images of me marching through hill and dale neith the broody mountains in all weathers, specially winter..well..
I think Santiagos telling me to take a slower walk...

its just added to the list of..its just a thing..
i am right there when i see your pictures, when your stories are told and places named..
ll get there one way or another..
ime very positive that over the centuries..centurions,centenarians,pilgrims and escapees from the pillory have walked naked footed, knock kneed,beCrutched,bent,broken,wet,dry,stinky sandal-ed from there..to here

me?
ime just desperate enough..as a rough character you see..to hobble along smelling every flower, sitting spraddle legged in some tall grass and shoot a picture of a bug,a flower or some such

ill get there and add my prints to the soil of Spain
hug Santiago and have him say hello to Mom and Dad

pain is inevitable
suffering, my friends
is optional.

be well in your Home Places

A bit of humor

i make all manner of funny noises on getting up from where ever i sit
grunts groans, growles and a few that have sent children ascamper toward their nearest adult..except for one who grabbed my hand to help me up..many smiles
warmed up ime a goer
cooled down it hard to get up physically

i was imagining getting up in the dark and emitting a usual horrid sounding grimace
think that will scare the bejeebers out of the snorers slumber!
here comes the local police, EMT or priest to protect the innocent from the horrible monster inside!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.

Yoko Ono

Keep on keeping on, Pilgrim... start slow and taper a wise friend and mentor advised me many years ago...

...and from a book I've only just finished reading, another take on that oft quoted line:
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. Say you’re running and you think, ‘Man, this hurts, I can’t take it anymore. The ‘hurt’ part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand anymore is up to the runner himself.
Haruki Murakami
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

...Say you’re running and you think, ‘Man, this hurts, I can’t take it anymore. The ‘hurt’ part is an unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand anymore is up to the runner himself.
(Empasis added) But only to the extent that it doesn't cause permanent damage to the hurting body part.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bum knee(s) club member here too!!! No problems on my 2014 trip. As I walked out the door for my 2016 I threw my articulated brace into my pack pocket just in case my bad knee failed. Nope, my good knee did instead (after my official camino end but it did curtail fun in Madrid). Ended up being patellar tendinitis so bad that even with the brace I couldn't put weight on it for 2.5 weeks! Wishing you an "uneventful" camino!!!

(Empasis added) But only to the extent that it doesn't cause permanent damage to the hurting body part.

JM
There are many issues beside the knee..partly due to a never say die work ethic that pretty much ensured damage .
My back is a mess in general
It is my bad knee ironically that has worn
Thought my good knee would go first due to bad gate!

Never say die has carried me forward into a post chronic pain phase
Won't go int details..but I have reached a point that I can deal with most any pain...

Morphine 15s work for a matter of 2 or 3 hours due to my amazing medicine metabolism
Ibuprophine?
Oxy\hydrocodone..mehh

It is what it is
Nothing more
Nothing less

I choose to live..as fully and completely within the strictures and bounds of physicality
Choosing to be free of all my earthly bounds..while bound tightly in a failing...ailing body.

The caged bird sings?
Because it can..and must!

I will be in Santiago one way or another
You folks have given me wings
Ivan and this wonderful forum have brought Joy to me

The Calling is strong enough to bring tears of longing
I've written before on that
Strong as ever..but more maturing into a real concrete plan..not just a fancy.

Age and infirmity are a part of the constant

Change..is the one constant
Life the variable
The formula to solve is acting on what you work toward doing.

I am patient
And determined

Pain is simply a bodily sensation
Suffering is of the spirit
The Mind..the intellect sovereign above all
Marcus Aurelius

I have no fear of pain
That is irrational animal instinct at work

Same for suffering
That is a choice to be made

I
Choose to live

Never to ask quarter of pain
Nor to give...

I learned not to fear the rivers bend
The dark path
The storm...

Pilgrim
Believe in the power of the will within

Balance the battle within for what ever reason
With beauty

Santiago whispers
Believe

I am in pain
I Will be in pain

It's ok

Someday

Some very fine and wonderful day
I will see you out there
We will smile
For we know a secret

I will be walking bent and slowly
Inside
we..
WE! will be striding along, strong of limb
Sound of eye and JOYFULL!!!

I will see you out..there

Be Blessed Pilgrims!

long story short..
think my knee is in trouble
think i finally wore the cartilage out recently after my fall and now some ugly..catchy,grindy,loose feelings are emanating from my back leg..
bummer...but after decades of awesome service from reconstruction..it was expected

but! now i get to wear one of those cool outside the pants knee brace!
carry on Winter Pilgrim!
I too have a bad bad knee and would like to do the Camino again. I imagine I would wear a brace, use two walking sticks, go slow and stop when necessary. And of course the odd pain killer. I would factor in that the walk will take much longer than expected. Take care and good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back