• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bunk beds

Gerard Crawshaw

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking a section of the Camino Frances recently, I noticed that many of the top bunks in albergues had no side rail or means of preventing anyone falling out. Is it just me, or has anyone found this to be a risk/problem?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hated those, and was always worried that I'd roll right off over the edge. I never did, and I never was in a room where anyone did ... but I heard a few stories about others falling off.

Lots of threads about this, just look them up. There have been some accidents in albergues with 3 tier bunks that fell over on the person trying to climb to the bunk or pulling on a second tier mattress and causing the entire thing fall over.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally I have never fallen out of bed. I think most people have a built-in perception which prevents them from rolling out even while asleep. However my late brother who had epilepsy once dramatically crashed to the floor from an upper bunk during the night at a youth camp. Even though I have never fallen myself I would be very reluctant to sleep in an upper bunk that did not have a guard rail.

If you are carrying a long scarf or something, you can tie it across. It will give you a sense of security in that you would feel when you got close to the edge though it won't stop you falling out. But why would the risk be any greater than in the bottom bunk?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But why would the risk be any greater than in the bottom bunk?

Further to fall? But if the beds look rickety I’d rather on the top deck, especially if the other bunk is occupied by someone very large.

Further to fall?
Well, yes, but people don't fall out of their beds at home either so I don't really see why they should start falling out of them just because it is further to fall. I think this is mostly a problem before you fall asleep, worrying that you might fall out ... Hence the scarf/long sleeve tops tied together etc. Or something as simple as putting something on that side of your pillow, if you can - that will keep you closer to the wall. I am a highly experienced worrier and know all about the fall-out-of-bed-worry, but have never yet fallen out of a bunk, top or otherwise.

If you are carrying a long scarf or something, you can tie it across. It will give you a sense of security in that you would feel when you got close to the edge though it won't stop you falling out. But why would the risk be any greater than in the bottom bunk?

Perhaps the difference in height
:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, yes, but people don't fall out of their beds at home either so I don't really see why they should start falling out of them just because it is further to fall..

Of course they do. A quick review of the literature shows that there are approximately 36,000 cases annually of bunk-bed injuries in the US among children and youth. There's a big spike between the ages of 18 and 21, presumably because these ages are more likely to be in a college dorm, or some other institution.

The only adult studies I could find were from nursing homes.

Well, yes, but people don't fall out of their beds at home either so I don't really see why they should start falling out of them just because it is further to fall. I think this is mostly a problem before you fall asleep, worrying that you might fall out ... Hence the scarf/long sleeve tops tied together etc. Or something as simple as putting something on that side of your pillow, if you can - that will keep you closer to the wall. I am a highly experienced worrier and know all about the fall-out-of-bed-worry, but have never yet fallen out of a bunk, top or otherwise.

In some of the hostel I have been, some bunk beds are in the middle and they haven't got any wall either side :)

It is just you!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When on the Primitivo my son had a top bunk and noticed there was a rope tying its post to the nearby window latch. He wondered why, so detached the rope and his bunk literally started swaying back and forth! Needless to say he scrambled quickly to tie it back up before it toppled completely over! A funny memory we will never forget...one of those "special" Camino moments! Lol!

Falls have happened. Slept in an albergue at Santo Domingo de la Calzada where a pilgrim fell out of the top bunk not once but twice during the night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The fear-of-heights/fear-of-falling thing is pretty strong with me, at my age I dont think I'll grow out of it!.
Funny how the top bunk doesn't look so high from the ground, but looking down it seems very high. I like the ones with some sort of side support. Or I hemmed myself in with my pack to make falling in my sleep impossible. I have to say I didn't sleep as well in the top bunks.
I guess it makes sense that you would be no more likely to fall out of a top bunk than a bottom one, but my brain cant be convinced of this as the fear factor takes over.
I never saw any three tier bunks on the Camino, I think if it was my only option, I would have walked on, no matter what.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not on the Camino, but I can remember travelling on an overnight train from Florence to Paris in one of the old 6-berth couchette carriages, 3 tiers each side, no side rails. Luckily I had a bottom bunk, but barely slept I was so worried someone on the top would fall and somehow land on me as they tried to avoid hitting the floor! Good times....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Falling out of bed definitely happens. I mysteriously rolled out of bed in my sleep at home one night, fortunately not from a bunk bed. And there’s the infamous lawsuit by the University of Idaho student who fell from bed out the third-floor window of a frat-house sleeping porch.

Walking a section of the Camino Frances recently, I noticed that many of the top bunks in albergues had no side rail or means of preventing anyone falling out. Is it just me, or has anyone found this to be a risk/problem?
At home you don't have side rails I suppose and fall out of bed . A bed is a bed , don't see the problem

Wish you well , Peter .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The idea of only top bunks available really concern me because I am a sleep walker! I am hoping to encounter others who will trade w me if there ate only top bunks available.

The idea of only top bunks available really concern me because I am a sleep walker! I am hoping to encounter others who will trade w me if there ate only top bunks available.
If you are over 60 and/or have gray hair, someone may have sympathy and switch bunks with you! :)

If you're staying in a private albergue, reserve ahead and have a physical problem (and require a bottom bunk) you can try requesting one ahead of time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, during my first Camino I was terrified of sleeping in most top beds. On the first night, the albergue bunk bed only had a rail on one side, so I remember falling asleep clinging to the rail as it was to my life, and then I woke up with my hand not only freezing but also with pins and needles. The bed was so high! So I made the brave decision to sleep with my belly turned down, which ensured my safety as I have a better perception of space that way. It was brave because it made me embrace and overcome the unhygiene, so to speak, that my drool would be making on the albergue pillow... Pools of drool. A broken levee. To this day I don't know how it did not become a droolfall into the bottom pilgrim's bed. Sorry everyone. At least I slept nice and safe, even though only once did I sleep on a bottom bunk - but in other albergues the top bunk felt safer due to rails on both sides. :)

Of course they do. A quick review of the literature shows that there are approximately 36,000 cases annually of bunk-bed injuries in the US among children and youth. There's a big spike between the ages of 18 and 21, presumably because these ages are more likely to be in a college dorm, or some other institution.

The only adult studies I could find were from nursing homes.

True that. I get quite a few patients with the odd fracture telling me they “fell out of bed”. They also “slip over in the shower” too. My patients are prison inmates though 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My 11 year old daughter was a bit concerned when she had a top bunk in Roncesvalles. She hugged the opposite wood side, but got over it when she realized she never fell out of her bed at home.

Myself, and several brothers had memorable tumbles off the top bunk growing up, but these were the results of shenanigans and horseplay, not sleeping.

Last edited:
The old monastery albergue in Roncevalles is very simular to the one on "the way" it is still used for overspill ? from the main one. I fell out of the top bunk swinging to get up to my bunk paralell bars style, between bunks, in the middle of the night, fell onto a German pilgrim whom was not pleased to see me and screamed loudly !!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The old monastery albergue in Roncevalles is very simular to the one on "the way" it is still used for overspill ? from the main one. I fell out of the top bunk swinging to get up to my bunk paralell bars style between bunks, in the middle of the night, fell onto a German pilgrim whom was not please to see me and screamed loudly !!

I’m sure my patients tread and fall all over each other in their cells at times (which may lead to how they got their injuries in the first place 😉) but they rarely tell you exactly what happened. The falling out of bed thing is a cover usually for something more serious occurring. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that their injuries don’t seem to match the mechanism but I am digressing...

Ultimately the alberques should all have safety rails on all the top bunks just in case there are pilgrims who do move about in theyre sleep or even just feel unsafe sleeping in a bunk without one!!
Ime sure the cost is minimal as its mostly a bit of wood or rail☺

No fear of falling off bunk - I have never rolled out of bed while sleeping at home. I would have more anxiety with climbing up/down from top bunk especially in middle of night if needing bathroom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Strange beds and unfamiliar circumstances can result in unexpected accidents. When my sister, who has never fallen out of a bed, was visiting she inadvertently rolled over in the queen-sized guest bed, landed on the floor, and knocked down the side table and broke a lamp in the process. It happens. 🤷‍♀️

Fortunately it wasn't a bunk bed, and she wasn't on the top bunk. 😉 We all got a good laugh, though.

Accidents related to bunkbeds in camino albergues do happen and that includes the Roncesvalles albergue. I don't know how they happen but I guess they mainly happen when climbing into or out of the top bed. Or when you swing one leg or two legs out of your bed and get up. Of course you don't fall at home when you do this in your ground level bed. But you will fall if you are half awake and do it in your top bunk bed in an albergue.

Roncesvalles albergue has added safety rails this year because there have been too many accidents and they fear future claims. This is how their beds look now:

The old monastery albergue in Roncevalles is very simular to the one on "the way" it is still used for overspill ? from the main one. I fell out of the top bunk swinging to get up to my bunk paralell bars style, between bunks, in the middle of the night, fell onto a German pilgrim whom was not pleased to see me and screamed loudly !!

I stayed there on first and second caminos: 2001 and 2002.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back