• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos Cathedral pilgrim discount tickets

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
OLD THREAD - 2014

Forum member @Fani has started yesterday from Burgos and is reporting that she hasn't been able to purchase the ticket with pilgrim discount price. Staff told her that only pilgrims with credencial and stamps from the beginning (SJPdP ???) of CF could get discount.

Kind of don't understand that. OK, I assume that there are folks (as tourists or such) that would think of getting free or 1€ credencial and try to get in the Cathedral cheaper, but still...

Have a nice day!

PS (Yesterday was sunny with 30C and today rain, mud, 5C from Rabe de las Calzados on.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Perhaps just consider the extra 3,50 € a donation to keep the magnificent building in good repair?;)

Individual: 7 €
Group (more than 15 people): 6 €
Senior Citizens: 6 €
Students: 4,50 €
Children (from 7 to 14 years old): 1,50 €
Pilgrims (with credentials): 3,50 €

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps just consider the extra 3,50 € a donation to keep the magnificent building in good repair?;)

Individual: 7 €
Group (more than 15 people): 6 €
Senior Citizens: 6 €
Students: 4,50 €
Children (from 7 to 14 years old): 1,50 €
Pilgrims (with credentials): 3,50 €

Nothing else you can do I guess :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It costs approximately 2000 Euros/day to maintain the whole architectural and museum that is the cathedral de Burgos, whether free or not. So, it really is not unreasonable to ask for a fee, specially when there are a lot of discount concessions, including a FREE period (every Tuesday from 1630-1830 hrs).

In May 2013 I got the discount, no questions asked and, in October 2013 I actually went in for FREE as they were having a Medieval Festival weekend and the Cathedral tours were free. Hey, I have paid more than that for a bad glass of wine, so no complaints here....! ;)

Many years ago on a class trip to Rome, a group member was complaining about having to pay to enter some churches. Our prof said that we are here for one day or one visit but that the buildings have to be kept up for other visitors for many more years. I gladly pay admission to sites so that the next generations will have the same opportunities as I have had.

Forum member @Fani has started yesterday from Burgos and is reporting that she hasn't been able to purchase the ticket with pilgrim discount price. Staff told her that only pilgrims with credencial and stamps from the beginning (SJPdP ???) of CF could get discount.

Kind of don't understand that. OK, I assume that there are folks (as tourists or such) that would think of getting free or 1€ credencial and try to get in the Cathedral cheaper, but still...

Have a nice day!

PS (Yesterday was sunny with 30C and today rain, mud, 5C from Rabe de las Calzados on.)
We had no problem when we started from Roncesvalles. Since there is no real "beginning", I think a reasonable assumption is that they are restricting the discount to people who have done some of the pilgrimage, rather than give a €3.50 discount to anyone who had the foresight to pick up a €1.00 credencial.

Perhaps the idea is that you get your status as a pilgrim for them when you start walking, not when you declare your intention to do so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We started in Burgos as well and weren't able to buy discounted tickets either - the staff didn't say anything about having to start in Saint Jean or anything like that, just that because we hadn't started walking, we weren't really pilgrims yet so we didn't qualify. That was fine.

I may be reading this wrong, but I don't understand why anyone would need to purchase tickets for the Cathedral ahead of time? I just walked in each time (about 10 different times), showed my credential, got my ticket, and visited.

€83,-
I may be reading this wrong, but I don't understand why anyone would need to purchase tickets for the Cathedral ahead of time? I just walked in each time (about 10 different times), showed my credential, got my ticket, and visited.
Ahem, nothing I wrote in the OP include anything about purchasing Burgos cathedral tickets "ahead of time". If 5 minutes is ahead of time then I appologise for my bad (fourth language which is) English. This is exactly what I wrote:
"Forum member @Fani has started yesterday from Burgos and is reporting that she hasn't been able to purchase the ticket with pilgrim discount price. Staff told her that only pilgrims with credencial and stamps from the beginning (SJPdP ???) of CF could get discount."

And as already said before the thread is more than 4 years old. Could someone please close or even delete it?!

I have just edited your original post @KinkyOne to ensure people realise it is an old post. It still contains information that may be valuable to new members - that there is a pilgrim discount available. Even if the price and other information may have changed.

Ahem, nothing I wrote in the OP include anything about purchasing Burgos cathedral tickets "ahead of time". If 5 minutes is ahead of time then I appologise for my bad (fourth language which is) English. This is exactly what I wrote:
"Forum member @Fani has started yesterday from Burgos and is reporting that she hasn't been able to purchase the ticket with pilgrim discount price. Staff told her that only pilgrims with credencial and stamps from the beginning (SJPdP ???) of CF could get discount."

And as already said before the thread is more than 4 years old. Could someone please close or even delete it?!

Sorry Kinky.. .I guess I didn't read it correctly.
I've had the flu all week and my brain is dull.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Annie,

I just can't "like" the flu in your post but I wish you to get well soon :)
Have a nice day!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back