• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos - China Store and Tapas Bar

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, does anyone know of a China Store (sells cheap goods) in Burgos city centre? I am arriving in a couple of weeks' time and would like to buy an umbrella. Thanks! Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Several in the area just south of the river south of the cathedral. I was in Mundo 100 recently. Big range of stock though I wasn't looking for umbrellas!
View attachment 140712
Delighted to see someone mention these stores. The experienced peregrino depends on them, as we learned. On our first camino, there were items we didn't bring (which was a smart decision) that we picked up as needed. We all know about the pharmacies which are well stocked for what ails the pilgrim, especially feet issues. But there are things like umbrellas, as noted here, that are not worth bringing if one is coming from a long distance away. In my case, I like to keep my hair short, so we pick up a cheap scissors, usually no more a euro. They often have throw away ponchos. If you're walking when rain is infrequent, pick up three of these. They weigh nothing. They take up no space. They are super cheap.

Thank you so much for your replies. I have booked a room at Hotel Via Gotica, just south of the river, near the bus station, so will scout around that area. Hopefully I won't actually need the umbrella, but I probably will in February . . .
Anyone know of a nice bar in the area where I can get a glass of wine and tapas on a Monday evening . . . ?

Thank you so much for your replies. I have booked a room at Hotel Via Gotica, just south of the river, near the bus station, so will scout around that area. Hopefully I won't actually need the umbrella, but I probably will in February . . .
Anyone know of a nice bar in the area where I can get a glass of wine and tapas on a Monday evening . . . ?
There are several bars on the river between the bridge and the statue of El Cid on the cathedral side of the river. Enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
VERY important, until Spain changes to screwtops we are screwed without a corkscrew 🤣
Last year the apartment that I was staying at in Santarém had a broken corkscrew - how could I open the bottle of wine I'd bought from the grocery store? I Googled for a solution, and found that the end of a wooden spoon (fortunately there was one in the apartment) could be used to push the cork down into the bottle without breaking the cork. 🍷

For tapas, or more substantial food, work your way along Calle San Lorenzo, taking care to have a cojonudo or cojonuda or two (-a with morcilla, -o with chorizo). La Pez is also good and - somewhere on that short stretch there is a camarera whom I instructed in the noble art of making tea; although you’ll have to supply the raw materials)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Last year the apartment that I was staying at in Santarém had a broken corkscrew - how could I open the bottle of wine I'd bought from the grocery store? I Googled for a solution, and found that the end of a wooden spoon (fortunately there was one in the apartment) could be used to push the cork down into the bottle without breaking the cork. 🍷
I’m delighted to find that 1. You’re sufficiently up-market that you buy wine with a cork and 2. The mere lack of a corkscrew didn’t stop you.,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m delighted to find that 1. You’re sufficiently up-market that you buy wine with a cork and 2. The mere lack of a corkscrew didn’t stop you.,
I find that in Portugal, even the 1-euro supermarket specials have corks.

The country's pride in providing much of the world's supply of cork seems to have made the thought of anything OTHER than a real cork totally unacceptable. I've never seen a screw-top; never seen a plastic cork.

You CAN get Tetrabox 1/4-litre and 1-litre red and white wines. I sometimes buy the small whites, just to have a bit to add to cooking without opening a bottle. Even that is reasonably decent wine and most of the supermarkets identify what winery it comes from. Wine is serious business in Portugal!

I find that in Portugal, even the 1-euro supermarket specials have corks.

The country's pride in providing much of the world's supply of cork seems to have made the thought of anything OTHER than a real cork totally unacceptable. I've never seen a screw-top; never seen a plastic cork.

You CAN get Tetrabox 1/4-litre and 1-litre red and white wines. I sometimes buy the small whites, just to have a bit to add to cooking without opening a bottle. Even that is reasonably decent wine and most of the supermarkets identify what winery it comes from. Wine is serious business in Portugal!
I’m a traditionalist in pretty much every way you could interpret that word; but the only justification for continuing to use actual cork as a wine-bottle stopper is tradition. Much as it offends me, a well-fitted screw-cap does a better job.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wait? There are people walking the Camino without a corkscrew? I mean, i consider myself quite focused on ultralight hiking... but theres ultralight and stupid light.
🙋🏻‍♀️ I normally only have wine at restaurants or in albergues that have corkscrews available, so have never brought one. I may have to change my packing list.

One thing you should not buy from a bargain store is a phone charger. They are often poorly made and unsafe. Otherwise they are a godsend (and usually open on Sundays). They seem to be everywhere - not finding one would be harder than finding one.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.