• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Burgos municipal attempted theft ???

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Last night in Burgos municipal (a fabulous albergue) I was sleeping on a lower bunk when I awoke at 2:30 am to find myself face to face with a man kneeling beside my bed with my water bottle (which had been on the floor) in his hand, looking under the bed.
I was so shocked as I came to consciousness that I yelled ‘What are you doing?’ He said ‘Sorry, sorry’ and ran off into the darkness.
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was lost returning from the bathroom or sleep walking or something similar but as the day has worn on I am now almost certain he was looking to see if my phone or valuables were there.
I regret not staying later this morning to notify the hospitaleros.
Please be extra vigilant with all your valuables. 😓

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last night in Burgos municipal (a fabulous albergue) I was sleeping on a lower bunk when I awoke at 2:30 am to find myself face to face with a man kneeling beside my bed with my water bottle (which had been on the floor) in his hand, looking under the bed.
I was so shocked as I came to consciousness that I yelled ‘What are you doing?’ He said ‘Sorry, sorry’ and ran off into the darkness.
I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was lost returning from the bathroom or sleep walking or something similar but as the day has worn on I am now almost certain he was looking to see if my phone or valuables were there.
I regret not staying later this morning to notify the hospitaleros.
Please be extra vigilant with all your valuables. 😓
Jenny, number 1: good that you are ok. Number 2: maybe you can report it to the albergue where you will be tonight, and surely they will contact Burgos? Very understandable that you moved out as fast as you could. Safe camino onwards.

I’m a couple days behind you and have heard numerous reports of similar behaviors. So sorry this happened to you. Scary!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.