• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

River route into Burgos (PDF)

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
So, I am very meticulous and an extremely visual person. I made this PDF for my friend and I illustrating the walk from Orbaneja Riopico, through Castañares, and into Burgos along the river. This is an alternate to the industrial route. This was made in part to the directions provided by @annakappa on her thread: Alternate route into Burgos and Clarely's blog post How to enter Burgos. I hope it helps people who do better with pictures than words like me! The PDF includes street view of the walk, as well as top-view images when the former wasn't available.

I wanted to upload the PDF directly, but no matter how small I compressed it, the file was too big. Here's a link where hopefully you can download it yourself easily! It's about 15 mb according to my computer.

To download or view, Click Here

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please make this a resource!
It will be so useful for so many.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for this. I went through the Industrial route to Burgos last time - it was a miserable 2 hour walk. Some kindly locals stopped me and suggested that I take the bus to the Cathedral as there was 'nothing to be gained' by walking into Burgos via the Industrial route.

If you manage to get lost looking for the beginning of this route, don't despair. There are other, later, paths that will get you to the river. Just ask the locals!

So, I am very meticulous and an extremely visual person. I made this PDF for my friend and I illustrating the walk from Orbaneja Riopico, through Castañares, and into Burgos along the river. This is an alternate to the industrial route. This was made in part to the directions provided by @annakappa on her thread: Alternate route into Burgos and Clarely's blog post How to enter Burgos. I hope it helps people who do better with pictures than words like me! The PDF includes street view of the walk, as well as top-view images when the former wasn't available.

I wanted to upload the PDF directly, but no matter how small I compressed it, the file was too big. Here's a link where hopefully you can download it yourself easily! It's about 15 mb according to my computer.

Hi minaleigh

You can add the resource to the Camino resource section and just include the link to the document download site, instead of uploading the actual document.

There might be a way to reduce the actual file size but I suspect the Google streetview images you captured are large ( next time you should reduce these first before adding them to the document), hence making the entire PDF even larger.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great work...
We tried to take this optional trail three years ago... and missed it.
Last October we managed to find the beginning.
It required a leap of faith. The signs says... walk straight, and we turned left.
It was then followed by a ½ hour of..... Is this right? Do we have to walk back?

Your pictures also answered two other worries we had (last year).

After crossing under the Freeway, there are multiple trails to pick from.
It turns out that most of them are correct.
Your PDF does show the shortest way.

The last worry was... When do we cross the river to get to the Cathedral?
We asked at least a dozen people. Never feeling sure.
Once again.... you PDF answers this question.

Great work. Every Pilgrim should have this PDF on their phone.

Great, thank you for sharing.
Wish you well, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Certainly a great guide, but I have to say I had no issues with what's called the industrial route. Perhaps it was the rain or the extraordinary evening in Atapuerca. Or the encouraging honks and waves from a few drivers. Mostly I zoned out and there I was in Burgos.

Or maybe the fact that I was ending my trek there meant that nothing else mattered.

I could use some help in downloading this in PDF. When I try downloading it onto my ipad, it downloads to something called docdroid.net and there does not seem to be an option to download to Adobe Acrobat, which I have on my ipad. I started by signing on to the forum with google chrome, then downloading from the post. But I do not have an app for docdroid. My ipad only works with wifi, so I have to download something in order to have it available to use when I am walking. I am fairly illiterate in electronics. What should I do to get this file to somewhere where I can have access to it when offline?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I could use some help in downloading this in PDF. When I try downloading it onto my ipad, it downloads to something called docdroid.net and there does not seem to be an option to download to Adobe Acrobat, which I have on my ipad. I started by signing on to the forum with google chrome, then downloading from the post. But I do not have an app for docdroid. My ipad only works with wifi, so I have to download something in order to have it available to use when I am walking. I am fairly illiterate in electronics. What should I do to get this file to somewhere where I can have access to it when offline?
When I clicked on the link provided in OP it directed me to docdroid.net also. But that is just a "cloud" as I understand. From there you can download .pdf file like from any other source. There isn't any download button though but you must have it in your browser I guess. My Firefox has it somewhere on the upper righthand of the taskbar or below it :rolleyes: As you see I'm not really IT expert, hahaha.

EDIT: I can't attach .pdf file because it's too large. You'll have to download it yourself.

Last edited:
Hi Albertagirl
I just tried this on my iPad and it worked ok. I don't have Acrobat on my iPad but I got it to open in iBooks, so that will ensure it stays on the iPad when you're offline. I found it did take a really long time for the initial download, probably because of the file size, when I tapped on the link from the OP above (if the doc opens for you, you have downloaded it). I found if I didn't get distracted by the DocDriod toolbar with its "download" link, but just waited (and waited...) until the PDF itself opened up and i could see the images, if I then just tapped on it I got the option on the right (top right of the doc itself) to "open in iBooks". That also took a little while - I had to wait a bit to see it appear in my iBooks library, but it got there. I use iBooks for PDFs I want to keep for using when I'm not connected.

Hope this helps!

Hi Albertagirl
I just tried this on my iPad and it worked ok. I don't have Acrobat on my iPad but I got it to open in iBooks, so that will ensure it stays on the iPad when you're offline. I found it did take a really long time for the initial download, probably because of the file size, when I tapped on the link from the OP above (if the doc opens for you, you have downloaded it). I found if I didn't get distracted by the DocDriod toolbar with its "download" link, but just waited (and waited...) until the PDF itself opened up and i could see the images, if I then just tapped on it I got the option on the right (top right of the doc itself) to "open in iBooks". That also took a little while - I had to wait a bit to see it appear in my iBooks library, but it got there. I use iBooks for PDFs I want to keep for using when I'm not connected.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much for responding. I tried this, but it did not work for me. I may try again later, but in the meantime I have photocopied, double sided, the pages which I think I need. I stayed at Emaus last fall, so I am familiar with that bank of the river inside Burgos. I would rather not have to walk the other route into Burgos, so a few extra pages carried would be worth it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Albertagirl
I just tried this on my iPad and it worked ok. I don't have Acrobat on my iPad but I got it to open in iBooks, so that will ensure it stays on the iPad when you're offline.
Hello again @ GettingThere:
I kept on trying and used Safari instead of google chrome. I finally managed to get this file onto ibooks. Thanks for your help.

Hello again @ GettingThere:
I kept on trying and used Safari instead of google chrome. I finally managed to get this file onto ibooks. Thanks for your help.
Oh I forgot to say I was using Safari! Sorry for that crucial omission - yes, I've found I can only do that "open in iBooks" thing from Safari - much as I like Chrome normally! Glad to know you've got it.

its a big file but it does download and once you have it on your iPad you need to transfer into ibooks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

These images bring back some great memories (even though I had very sore feet at the time!) It's such a lovely way to walk into the city - and lots of shade if it's a hot day. Thanks so much for all your work on this, @minaleigh - I hope you enjoy the walk too!

Great help for all peregrinos. It really is the best route into Burgos
Many thanks for all you work and for sharing Minaleigh.

P

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wonderful @minaleigh ! I've tried three times to take this route and never managed it. This should do the trick.

Thanks so much. I'm planning to walk this route in a couple of weeks and the visuals really help.

I'm glad people are finding this handy! It actually used to be 23 mb, but I tried to use less pictures to get it down to 15 mb. I didn't think I could add it as a resource, but I just tried and it's still too big. All I did was take screenshots and crop them. I don't really know how to make the pictures smaller in file size, otherwise I would and just make a new PDF. When I tried to make the file a ZIP, it compressed to the same size.

Hope everyone is able to download this is they can! I can also email it to people if you want to PM me.

Thank you very much. Like others, it brought back memories. Allison and I took this route (almost) but got nervous one bridge too early and crossed into the city in a area without markers. We had to wander a bit at the end of a really long day. Unfortunately that was the day that almost ended our Camino due to tendonitis. The walk along the river was pretty for me but excruciatingly painful for Allison.
This PDF is coming with me in 2017!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much. We will be walking into Burgos in early June so this will definitely be coming with us.

Once you are walking into Burgos with the river on your right, finding the Cathedral is easy. As you get closer you can see the Cathedral across the river (First photo below) and the bridge you need is the one to the archway which leads directly to the square in front of the Cathedral (Second photo below).

DSCF8618er.jpg

DSCF8620er.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks @minaleigh for taking the time to do this, I can now see exactly where I went wrong last time! This is a great resource

Here's a smaller version of the pdf. It doesn't have the sharp image quality of the original one, but it's still clear enough.

This is excellent - the reduced version is quite fine and obviously takes up less space on a mobile device.

@minaleigh if you are happy with this version, maybe now you could upload this version into the Camino resources, and I will remove the version ( that only includes the link ).

This is great. I worked out my own route nearer Burgos and wish I had had this download. HOWEVER I feel that the main delight of this route is to take the small detour to the nearby Cartuja de Miraflores on the hill just south of the river. Absolutely heavenly! Check it out...

Adding my thanks too

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank you so much. I'm visual also and this looks like a very comprehensive guide.

This is great. I worked out my own route nearer Burgos and wish I had had this download. HOWEVER I feel that the main delight of this route is to take the small detour to the nearby Cartuja de Miraflores on the hill just south of the river. Absolutely heavenly! Check it out...

Just found it on Google maps. Will add to my PDF. Thanks!

Walked this route a few days ago and the early part was as muddy as muddy can be. However well worth the detour.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Page 16...that's the one that got me....got lost. The industrial entrance walk on to Burgos is horrendous, worse section on to a large city along the Camino Frances.

Thank you so much! I have walked into Burgos four times, a different way every time. The last two times I tried to walk the river path and now I see on Page 14 exactly where I went wrong. I was eventually able to get onto the path further along, turning left at the traffic light after the carwash/bar (nice spot for a break). I had taken photos as I walked from the first overpass (where you make a sharp left turn at the housing development) and along the airport fence for future reference and I had intended to put something together for the future, but you have done a fantastic job of making the directions visual and concise. Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked this route in 2009 and 2011. The first time I did the route that you have described in the PDF. However, I felt quite isolated as I went under the first underpass, it's quite low and I was wary as there was no one else around as I walked into the fields. In fact, I was not sure I was still on the correct path but in some unknown place. The second time, with my wife who was a bit concerned about my comments from the first camino, we turned left at the highway and followed it past the first round-a-bout and continued to the second round-a-bout. Not really very nice as you are beside the highway for a bit. At the second round-a-bout(smaller than the first) make a right hand turn, the trail takes you across the river where you can see the trail you want pass under the bridge you are on. Take the path down to that and follow that trail into Burgos along the river. At this point the path is well used by walkers and joggers. So if you have a concern about safety or getting lost on the first part of the alternate trail, this is a good option.

MinaLeigh - that is awesome. Last time I was there in 2013 we couldn't find the route via Castanares - this is brilliant and I will be using it this next time. Thanks for putting that up.

€60,-
Thank you for this very helpful PDF Minaleigh. We walked exactly this route in 2014 on our first Camino! On page 12 of your PDF we were very lucky to meet a local man who must have thought we were looking a little indecisive! He was standing near the bench.
He pointed us in the right direction to go by the river. We thought he must stand there all the time helping pilgrims but maybe not! It was a lovely walk into Burgos by the river And while very long greatly preferable to the alternative which we heard about afterwards from other pilgrims.

Hola, have just re-read your instructions & video maps. Still an impressive set of instructions. Hopefully I will be there in 10 days or so. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for sharing your visual navigation for the river route. At the bottom it took 1 hr 5 minutes? To complete? It looked so much longer I just wanted to know if you were running? Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing your visual navigation for the river route. At the bottom it took 1 hr 5 minutes? To complete? It looked so much longer I just wanted to know if you were running? Thanks again!

It probably took us closer to two hours. The 1 hour and 5 minute estimation isn't from the beginning of the PDF all the way into Burgos. It's just showing which route to take between the first two towns.

Last edited:

This is phenomenal. thanks so much!!

Thank you Minaleigh, for taking the effort. The pictures helped me out. Especially in the beginning and in the little village Casteñares were the river route and the standaard route are crossing. I had a wonderful walk into the town of Burgos.
Kind regards, Louise

I did this route today...MUCH thanks!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gee @minaleigh . I think there should be a prize for our best post of the month or week - and you have even been selfless by mentioning @annakappa who has on many occasions suggested alternative routes. I created a post a while back about an alternative route from Santo Domingo to Granon via Morales and Corporales - a PDF link such as yours would work a treat.
You've really nailed it , Thank you , I will certainly tackle this route next time.:)

Done this route last Thursday no problems much better than other route which I done 6 years ago. Quite well marked the advice I give that while walking by the river dont take any of the yellow arrows to the right (bridges) until you can clearly see Burgos Cathedral. You have done very detailed work well done.

I just looked at all the slides, well done. It also brought back memories of having recently made this walk. First memory, it's a long way around the airport. Second, as we FINALLY got to the park area, I asked how far to the Cathedral, I was told 1km. After walking for 20 minutes, I asked again, 1km. So, no matter where you are, it's 1km:). I stopped asking, it was better that way! Thanks for the effort in putting this together.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Amazballs!

Thanks so much for posting this! I missed the River route in 2015. Next time around I'll be sure to d/l this onto my smartphone.

Cheers!

I also want to thank @minaleigh for the wonderful, detailed instructions. I somehow managed to walk the river route last year, but I was following some other pilgrims, and I didn't really remember how we did it. So this year, with the help of these instructions, I was able to lead several others on the river way - we all thank you!

I am happy to report that the alternative route entering Burgos is well marked.
Look for the yellow flash right after crossing the highway exiting Cabernejas directing you to the left.

Somehow we managed to follow this route with relatively few glitches on the way in 2015. We loved it, even though my beloved was coming down with a virus and struggling to keep going. It was a really peaceful day, and beautiful way to enter Burgos. These pictures bring back so many memories and the description is clear.

I'm not sure that I'd want to do it by myself, as parts were quite deserted.

The two critical points for us were:- 1) The left turn at the housing estate. My beloved raced off down the road past it to the airport fence and we then ended up tracking across stubble fields hoping we had were heading in the right direction. 2) The main rd crossing in Castanaros - obvious once done, but we were confused by all the instructions we had at the time and found our way across to the blue bridge by good guessing and good luck.

Thank you @minaleigh and @annakappa! After reading the book The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett I was looking on Google maps trying to figure out which way they went. :) Also thanks to those who have recently posted and made this thread a bit easier to locate in my search.

Thank you @minaleigh and @annakappa! After reading the book The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett I was looking on Google maps trying to figure out which way they went. :) Also thanks to those who have recently posted and made this thread a bit easier to locate in my search.

Last September, my son and I found the river route decently marked and easy to follow. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone know if this way is open now due to all the rain we’ve had, or if it’s as muddy as hell? We are going through to Burgos tomorrow

Please don't judge me too harshly for this - If you choose to go the other way into Burgos around the airport and through the industrial area, you pass a McDonalds!!!!!! Egg McMuffin and coffee, mmmmmm!

Either way, enjoy your walk. :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well done, I wish I had seen this before we walked as like so many others we missed the turn off and honestly walking through the industrial section of Burgos was one of the lowest parts of my walk. This will help others

The 'scenic' route does not take you through Gamonal, does it? I really, really want to walk through Gamonal as I stayed there with a host family during a portion of our visit for World Youth Day in 2011. We actually walked a part of the Camino. It was part of what inspired me to make my own pilgrimage. Last time my friend's knee gave out near Najera and we bused in to Burgos for a few days rest. She was scared it was quitting time, but it wasn't. So now, I get a second chance to walk in to Burgos and visit my former host Parish. :)

Thanks so much!!

Thank you so much. I've missed this route twice before and really appreciate the details in your slides.

I wish i'd known the river route. The industrial route was the most depressing part of my Camino. It went on forever!

This is great, I wish we had such a thing when we missed the turn and walked a very long hot boring walk through the industrial section of Burgos. One of the few times I actually wanted to stop walking was then.

To download or view, Click Here[/QUOTE]

Here is a walkthrough to the far more attractive Burgos River Walk into Burgos.

I'm sorry but I cannot remember who first created or posted this on the resource section of the Forum but I'd like to thank whoever did.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for this, I am in the process of planning our next section of Camino and had just read about taking the river path into Bugos - and visual works so much better for me. Many thanks again

I had downloaded this guide and used it successfully 2 weeks ago, with 4 others tagging along too.
There are no arrows along the early part, so without the guide it would have been a leap of faith. There is a blue/yellow camino sign where you turn right at the airport fence.
When you get to Castanares, the signs direct you to turn right along the road, but if you go straight as the guide suggests, you do pick up some yellow arrows.
After passing the first road bridge beside the beach area, you still have 3 km or so to the Cathedral. But it is a pleasant shaded walk and we were all happy to have the guide and walked the route.

This is fabulous. Thanks so much! I ended up walking the road way into Burgos and was almost crippled by the experience. Never again!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I also find it much easier if i have pictures, landmarks to guide me. Your post will surely be invaluable come Sept. rather than downloading the file i simply took screenshots and can easily bring them up as I go. Thank you so much for your post!

Here is a walkthrough to the far more attractive Burgos River Walk into Burgos.

I'm sorry but I cannot remember who first created or posted this on the resource section of the Forum but I'd like to thank whoever did.

Buen Camino.
I think it me!

I followed this link and it was really helpful. There are yellow arrows not far from the point of departure, but it's worth keeping a look out for the junction. I was on my own for most of the time until I reached the Burgos River and its warnings of snakes, etc.!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even though I hate the implied endorsement of NSA's biggest competitor, suggest you re-locate to Google Docs. A few seconds after clicking that link two pop-ups got past my pop-up blocker. Both of them were scams trying to trick me into downloading malware.

Great stuff. I remember doing 42km in Burgos and thought that walk on the river bank would never end !! quick shower and a few beers in the sunshine did the trick. One of the best cities we passed through and really enjoyed the city vibe. Planning to do SJPP to Burgos in May, pandemic allowing...

Thanks for your hard work and visual guide.
Casario

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked into Burgos Sept 2019 via the industrial/airport route - DO NOT go this way. As others have said, it is a long slug, walking along a very busy road, passing tire stores, no facilities, no shade. Arrows were non existent, met up with some other wayward pilgrims and we finally made our way to the city center.

I walked the industrial route on my first camino. I found it a little tedious, but no big deal. And there was at least one open bar/coffee shop along the main road in.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.