• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos - September 14th

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
September 14th is Holy Cross Day. A middlin' big deal for Catholics and traditionalist Anglicans and Lutherans....

Way back in 2015 I chanced to be in Burgos on September 14th, and after a rather awful Chinese lunch near the bus station (my friends' idea, not mine!) I strolled thru the Arco S. Maria and into the Plaza del Rey S. Fernando. And there I encountered the jaw-dropping sight of a religious procession with soldiers, policemen, confraternity members, drummers and priests carrying the celebrated 'Cristo de Burgos' thru the streets. Looked like something right out of the Middle Ages, or even Ancient Rome. Lives in my memory still!

Well, I expect to pass thru Burgos next month, and I have the option of taking a 'rest' day on September 14th -- or pushing on into the West.... If there's going to be another such spectacular procession then I think I'd like to linger, and let it ravish me again. But will there be one? I'm having no luck at all finding any useful information on the 'net. I've even emailed the tourism office, but gotten no response. Can anyone on the Forum help me out here?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It looks like this is an annual event. But of course covid might have an impact.

Some links from reputable sources:

https://www.archiburgos.es/2018/09/14/santo-cristo-de-burgos/.

(from 2018 but it talks about how every year it is becoming more popular. )

The archdiocese says that until 1875, this was Burgos’ principal fiesta. Even with bullfights and fireworks. But then the ayuntamiento decided to make the days of the apostles Peter and Paul the primary fiestas, thinking that the weather would be better. But even though it is not an official festival, many are now celebrating it. Sounds like a comeback celebration.

My plans were to come to Burgos on September 14 (bus from Bilbao). A few days ago I was informed that my flight Venice - Bilbao had been canceled due to Covid-19. Now I’m wondering if I might learn to fly by then. Or it is possible to swim. Or to get in the car and not stop to Burgos. Maybe the best pilgrim way will be - I take a backpack, get out of the house and start walking ..... and walking

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been in Burgos during the Fete de St. Paul and is very much akin to San Fermin in Pamplona. Lots of celebration, midnight fireworks and piles of bottles and other debris lining the streets as I left early in the morning.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do you know that in Burgos, Carrión de los Condes, and Sahagun, from May to December 2021, is the exhibition 'Las Edades del Hombre - 25th edition".
It is an exhibition of sacred arts. May be can interests you.
buen camino
Jean-Luc

and more info on the web

September 14th is Holy Cross Day. A middlin' big deal for Catholics and traditionalist Anglicans and Lutherans....

Way back in 2015 I chanced to be in Burgos on September 14th, and after a rather awful Chinese lunch near the bus station (my friends' idea, not mine!) I strolled thru the Arco S. Maria and into the Plaza del Rey S. Fernando. And there I encountered the jaw-dropping sight of a religious procession with soldiers, policemen, confraternity members, drummers and priests carrying the celebrated 'Cristo de Burgos' thru the streets. Looked like something right out of the Middle Ages, or even Ancient Rome. Lives in my memory still!

Well, I expect to pass thru Burgos next month, and I have the option of taking a 'rest' day on September 14th -- or pushing on into the West.... If there's going to be another such spectacular procession then I think I'd like to linger, and let it ravish me again. But will there be one? I'm having no luck at all finding any useful information on the 'net. I've even emailed the tourism office, but gotten no response. Can anyone on the Forum help me out here?
I do hope you make it Jeffrey. I hope to see you this Friday. Buen Camino my friend.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.