• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Astorga

Paul Wookey

Time of past OR future Camino
De Santiago
has anyone cycled along the Camino path between Burgos and Astorga and how long does it take - I have 4 days is this enough? I don't want to ride on roads.
Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots and lots of people have cycled the Camino Frances; some have even done it it quite quickly and without irritating the hikers ;). It is iro 240k from Burgos to Astorga. You will need to know whether you can ride 4 consecutive 60k+ days. Some, some, of the route is on roads, unless you have a hover-bike you may be challenged by that, but most is on farm track, footpath and 'senda'.

has anyone cycled along the Camino path between Burgos and Astorga and how long does it take - I have 4 days is this enough? I don't want to ride on roads. Paul
Hola Paul - how long it will take will depend on your cycling ability. I did the following stages: Burgos/Castrojeriz (but could have made Fromista - I stopped to catch up with friends); Castrojeriz-Carrion de las Condes; Carrion-Moratinos (again stopped to see friends); due to really adverse weather I took the train from Sharagun to Leon but could have ridden this section in one day; Leon to Hospital de Orbigo (but could have reached Astorga0. So yes you can do it in four days, although some may be long. As for riding on roads versus the Camino trail - I followed the walkers trail all the way on this section - although between Fromista & Carrion the road parallels the Camino so its easier/quicker to ride the road. Between Leon and Astorga there are two trails and on a mountain or hybrid bike you can easily ride the off-road section. Have a look at any of the guide books to get an idea of the elevation changes (hill climbs) on the various stages that need to be taken into account. Hope this helps!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
many thanks that is really is helpful - 4 days should be okay for us and that helps us plan our trip
Paul

We did it in 3. Tardajos to Carrion de los Condes. Carrion de los Condes to Leon. Leon to Rabanal.

Tardajos because we did not like the look of the albergue in Burgos at the time. We had intended to stop at Burgo de Ranero but it was still early afternoon so we rode on to Leon. We rode on or beside the path to Leon (often there is a road next to the path) and on the road and path to Rabanal.

4 days should be enough.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back