• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to León, march 2nd start, two questions.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2004.SJPP-SdC-Finisterre)(1998-2012 completed in sections). Norte (2006.122km) Inglés (2009)
Can anyone tell me the answer to these two questions?

Is the bar or the shop at Hornillos del Camino open from the beginning of March?

Is the albergue at Bercianos del Real Camino open?

Apart from those two questions everything else is tied down, cool and froody.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Bercianos is closed, I don´t know when it will open. The private hostal is open, though.

Don´t know about Hornillos.
Stop by in Moratinos on your way through.

Rebekah

Rebekah,

Thank you for the information.

I am awaiting the latest CSJ guide. Ordered, paid for, not yet arrived. I'm starting to sweat!

I wasn't aware that there was a private albergue in Bercianos. If there is and it is open that would be one of my two headaches solved.

Norman and I have no idea yet as to how far we can walk on any given day. I comfortably, if slowly, (4.5km per hour) managed 17km on Saturday so I am hoping that we can reach you around the 8th March. Earlier would be brilliant but I am not holding my breath!

Calling on you is definately on our list of things to do. I have sent you a PM about this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sabine, I have been in Hornillos in October 2008 when the albergue was open but the shop was shut.

I was hoping that somebody might have gone through recently and either found it open or found a notice on the door about when it opens.

Interesting that the albergue was shut in February as I understood it was open all the year round. But then that is the Camino for you, full of surprises.

I am not so bothered about the shop; it is whether the bar is open. If it is I might set off mid afternoon from Burgos and stop overnight at Hornillos. If it is shut then an early start the next day and Hontanas would be the plan.

I should have made that clearer in the original posting, but was trying to keep things short.

Have you thought about Rabe de la Calzada, I stayed at Liberanos Dominie in November 2010 and I just checked Eroski and it says it is open all year. There is a refrigerated van that comes around after 6pm and sells food goods to the pilgrims also if you turn right out of the front door there is a little bar about 100 meters down the road selling snacks and bocadillos with a free internet room upstairs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was stranded in Hornillos on February 10 last year at around 4pm. Nothing open, no key, no contact, no info. Residents seemed a little embarrassed, as if I were not the first person in this situation. I got to Hontanas right on dark after what, for me, was a bit of a sprint. Of course, that was not March, so I'm just suggesting caution. I mention it because my Miam Miam Dodo indicated that the albergue and one pension would be open, but no such luck. My slightly dated edition of MMDD says that the bar opens March 19.

Hope that helps

Rob

Rob

Your reply is very helpful and having been in Hornillos in December 2010 and finding the bar shut it tells me what I suspected. Fortunately the albergue was open.

I am not clear if Hontanas albergue and bar was open. Could you please clarify.

Mike, no I had not thought about Rabe because I have always gone on to Hornillos. I am still waiting for my CSJ guide - having chased them up about it on Thursday - I am a little disappointed because in the past I have always had return of service from them - if the details about Rabe are in there well and good. If not I will send you a PM for more info.

We would not be setting off from Burgos much before 14.30 and with the clocks not yet back I think Hontanas before dark will be beyond us, especially since we have to leave my house at 4.00am to catch our flight.

However, Rabe sounds very doable and I personally would like to make a quick start to leave us time later.

Grateful for all the replies I have had from here and Rebekah via PM.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back