• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Leon in 2013

Sue M

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-Burgos(2012)Leon-Santiago(2013)Sarria- Santiago(Sept 2013),Frances (coach,2013),Le Puy-Conques(May 2014), parish pilgrimage organised for June 2015.
I want to walk from Burgos to Leon in March or April and have been looking at Macs Travel. To get there and back from England looks like Ryanair from Stanstead to Santander and back, which is fine. The scary bit, from my point of view, is buses from Santander to Burgos and then from Leon to Santander. I'm not sure I have the nerve (I'm 67 and don't speak Spanish) to negotiate buses in Spain on my own. Any comments or advice? I've walked from St. Jean to Burgos and don't want to give up now!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
at major bus stations (or even minor ones, such as Sarria), they have information desks with English-speaking staff. I found them to be very helpful.

Hi Sue! Meseta Queen! :D

The Meseta (between Burgos and Leon) is loved and hated in equal measure by peregrinos. Some find it a place to relax the mind and a very important part of their Camino (despite the lack of mountains etc.) Others find it boring - or get a bus to avoid it. Go for it, but make the right choices when there's a choice of routes. For example after Sahagun don't go via El Burgo Ranero, although it is perfectly fine if that suits your distances and walking pattern etc. The nicer route is via Calzadilla dlH. Meet Leo in his restaurant there.

I love the Meseta. Listen to the Concierto de Aranjuez before you leave home and imagine rural Spain. The concierto represents the Meseta for me. Think of that music, or listen to it, as you walk through that landscape and you'll feel like you are truly in Spain!

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
" orange juice " !! :D
Have you seen "brassed off " Tyrrek ? Wonderful rendition of a wonderful piece of music!

You could fly Luton/Stansted to Madrid - Easyjet or Ryanair - then ALSA coach from Terminal 1 direct to Burgos, then return by ALSA from Leon - Terminal 1. Frequent services, comfortable buses, fast, and easy to get tickets - online if you want to save hassle on arrival. But ALSA has a desk at Barajas airport, ticket machines and offices at the bus stations.
Google ALSA to get their website with times and prices.
Don't worry about not speaking Spanish, it really is very easy to travel by bus in Spain.
And of course their buses run from Santander.
Incidentally, in my experience Spanish long distance buses put ours (UK), to shame - I travelled from Leon to Barajas last October - 5 hour journey and the coach arrived 3 minutes early!!!

I have found that the easiest ways to get to Leon are Stansted- Vallidolid the airline bus to town and train to Leon or fly to Asturias, Airport bus to Oviedo then train to Leon. ( Bus and Train share a station at Oviedo.) I don't speak Spanish and get by so you will be fine

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
fortview said:
" orange juice " !! :D
Have you seen "brassed off " Tyrrek ? Wonderful rendition of a wonderful piece of music!
Hi! As a Yorkshire resident (although a Scotsman) I have seen Brassed Off as a social requirement. I don't remember orange juice though - remind me! :D

That film had some great music in it. One of the opening scenes is when they play a concert in the Piece Hall in my (current) home town Halifax, Yorkshire.

Buen Camino!

Ok I know we're off topic here...
It's when Pete Postlethwaite ( rip ) introduces the girl , forgotten her name, to the band and she plays the flugel . Aranjuez is known to the miners as " orange juice " :lol:
Remember ?
Sorry to everyone else who is concentrating on the thread :oops:

Hi!

Yes the Stansted-Valladolid route is great for UK-based pilgrims. You can easily get to various places around the middle of the Camino Frances like Burgos, Sahagun, Leon etc. I even went to Pamplona by train from there and it was easy. I've used it several times and the timings are OK, although if you don't live near Stansted you might have to stay in a hotel (Travelodge is fine) the night before.

Arriving in Valladolid around lunchtime allows you plenty of time to find your way up to the Camino and meet some fellow peregrinos. If flying back from Valladolid try to stay near the airport the night before. I tried to get the first bus from Burgos to Valladolid at 6.30am only to find it didn't exist and I missed my flight. As it turned out everything was fine - I just decided to walk on to Santiago! Not everyone is so lucky when it comes to time, though.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just done some more searching, and at that time of year, it looks as if you would be better flying Stansted - Vallidolid, then ALSA bus to Burgos, return Leon - Vallidolid ALSA.

Thanks everyone.
I assume long-distance ALSA buses have loos on them, or stop occasionally!
Ian, it's my thread (Sue), trying to organise it on my own, and currently failing.

Sue M said:
Thanks everyone.
I assume long-distance ALSA buses have loos on them, or stop occasionally!.

Fear not, all the Spanish coaches I've travelled on (ALSA, PLM) have on-board loos!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I caught the train from Valladolid to Burgios this summer. I think it took 75 minutes and cost around 10 euros (though I had a "Tarjeta Dorado" as I am over 60 and this gives a discount).
allan

Hi, sorry for ressurecting an old thread but I have a similar query to the OP except this time the departing country is Ireland.
The shortest route looks to be to fly in/out of Bilbao from Dublin but the buses look a bit of a nightmare to get from Bilbao to Burgos and then from Leon back to Bilbao. Would I be better flying Dublin-Madrid and then, as suggested above, getting the ALSA bus to Burgos? I'm assuming I can then take a similar bus back from Leon to Madrid?
Thanks

If you are going to Leon you can fly to Barcelona from Ireland, the early flight, then there is a connecting flight to Leon about 12 May, costs about 100 euro, you can then fly back to Ireland direct from Santiago with aerlingus, this should cost u in total about 330 euro. Flight work it as only takes 1 hour n no hazzle

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The shortest route looks to be to fly in/out of Bilbao from Dublin but the buses look a bit of a nightmare to get from Bilbao to Burgos
I took the train from Bilbao to Burgos. Good trip, no problems
Regds
Gerard

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.