• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Leon in 7 days

Lauraeire

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning doing the next stage of our journey to Santiago in July, we are doing it a week at a time over a few years.
Here is our suggested itinerary for Burgos to Leon in 7 days. What do you think?
Day 1 Burgos to Hornillos - 21K
Day 2 Hornillos to Itergo de la Vega - 31K
Day 3 Itergo de la Vega to Carrion - 34.7K
Day 4 Carrion to Terradilos - 26.8K
Day 5 Terradilos to Bercianos de la Real Camino - 21K
Day 6 Bercianos de la Real Camino - Mansilla - 26.8K
Day 7 Mansilla - Leon - 18.6K

Is there a better way? (2 very long days in a row might not be ideal, any suggestions welcome).

thanks

Laura

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My Camino included:

Day 13 - Burgos to Hontanas
Day 14 - Hontanas to Boadilla del Camino
Day 15 - Boadilla to Carrion de los Condes
Day 16 - Carrion to Terradillos de los Templarios
Day 17 - Terradillos to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos (or Bercianos)
Day 18 - Calzadilla to Mansilla de las Mulas
Day 19 - Mansilla to Leon

All stretches quite manageable. Not certain of the exact distances but I believe the longest stretch was the first one from Burgos to Hontanas at about 30km and the shortest was the last one from Mansilla to Leon at about 18km.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Planning doing the next stage of our journey to Santiago in July, we are doing it a week at a time over a few years.
Here is our suggested itinerary for Burgos to Leon in 7 days. What do you think?
Day 2 Hornillos to Itergo de la Vega - 31K
Day 3 Itergo de la Vega to Carrion - 34.7K
Day 4 Carrion to Terradilos - 26.8K
Day 5 Terradilos to Bercianos de la Real Camino - 21K
Day 6 Bercianos de la Real Camino - Mansilla - 26.8K
Day 7 Mansilla - Leon - 18.6K

Is there a better way? (2 very long days in a row might not be ideal, any suggestions welcome).

thanks

Laura

On my Camino it was
1. Burgos to Hontanas
I was feeling pretty good starting out from Burgos, so I had a long day. Towards the end of the day, started to have some serious pain, thanks to a blister on my heel.

2. Hontanas to Itergo de la Vega
The pain from the blister and terrible rain made me cut the day short

3. Itergo de la Vega to Carrion
Popped and bandaged the blister in Fromista, felt like a million bucks afterwards. Made it to Carrion, but it was a LONG day.

4. Carrion to Ledigos
This was somewhat of a short day too. That 17 km stretch with nothing takes a lot out of a person. Good albergue in Ledigos.

5. Ledigos to El Burgo Ranero
Sort of an average day.

6. El Burgo Ranero to Villarente
I had big plans for the day, to make it all the way to Leon. But I ended up staying a bit too long at the Elvis Bar in Reliegos!
7. Villarente to Leon
I'm glad I did stay in Villarente, the albergue was nice, and it was a short walk into Leon and I got to spend the whole day there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I prefer Hontana to Hornillos (have stayed in both.) If you feel like 30K is too long then consider a taxi just to the edge of Burgos. My least favorite part of the walk is in/out of the large towns.
Day 2 Hornillos to Itergo de la Vega - 31K Not much here and if you make it to Hontanas the day before then go on to Boadilla del Camino and stay at the albergue with lovely gardens En El Camino.
Day 3 Itergo de la Vega to Carrion - 34.7K Yes, this is before the long section without stops.
Day 4 Carrion to Terradilos - 26.8K I like to stop in Ledigos for two reasons, first being I am done after such a long section and second I love the albergue La Morena. They also have lovely private rooms and a great dinner.
Day 5 Terradilos to Bercianos de la Real Camino - 21K Yes
Day 6 Bercianos de la Real Camino - Mansilla - 26.8K Yes
Day 7 Mansilla - Leon - 18.6K Yes

Thanks for this information. My husband and I are contemplating this stretch of the Camino. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Burgos? We plan to stay one night before starting our walk ... after Burgos, we plan to stay in Albergues.

Thanks,
Bridget

Thanks for this information. My husband and I are contemplating this stretch of the Camino. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Burgos? We plan to stay one night before starting our walk ... after Burgos, we plan to stay in Albergues.

Thanks,
Bridget
Hotel Norte y Ingles. Rooms are good, prices are fair, breakfast is sufficient, location at the end of Calle San Lorenzo is excellent.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back