• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Burgos to León

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I am sitting out by the cathedral enjoying a glass of wine in the sunshine. It is cold however. I saw a water fountain with ice cycles today. I took a bus from Bilbao and came into the station just a couple blocks from the cathedral. I start my walk tomorrow. Today, I went to vodaphone and for 10 euros I got a SIM card with 25 gb, 300 minutes to call international or in Spain for four weeks. What a deal, and I have a Spanish phone number which is very handy for reserving etc. I am in shock. We Canadians have some of the most expensive phone/data in the world. So I am happy. I am feeling a bit quizzy as I usually do when overseas flights. I think walking and fresh air tomorrow will be lovely.

Attachments

• E6CA9907-4215-4856-B739-F7E73A47A283.jpeg
    E6CA9907-4215-4856-B739-F7E73A47A283.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 158
  • 97B1C3DE-02A5-4C1E-B2B4-3342CB2B20EB.jpeg
    97B1C3DE-02A5-4C1E-B2B4-3342CB2B20EB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 134
  • 483E30DA-0690-46C3-8A85-9847A3E69D23.jpeg
    483E30DA-0690-46C3-8A85-9847A3E69D23.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 247CAE86-5147-4535-9BA8-7C9E001C8B92.jpeg
    247CAE86-5147-4535-9BA8-7C9E001C8B92.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 134
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am sitting out by the cathedral enjoying a glass of wine in the sunshine. It is cold however. I saw a water fountain with ice cycles today. I took a bus from Bilbao and came into the station just a couple blocks from the cathedral. I start my walk tomorrow. Today, I went to vodaphone and for 10 euros I got a SIM card with 25 gb, 300 minutes to call international or in Spain for four weeks. What a deal, and I have a Spanish phone number which is very handy for reserving etc. I am in shock. We Canadians have some of the most expensive phone/data in the world. So I am happy. I am feeling a bit quizzy as I usually do when overseas flights. I think walking and fresh air tomorrow will be lovely.
Hi ! I was in Burgos in 2019 and started el 19 de avril it was freezing cold too and raining
I made a nice break for a good breakfast in ‘La Fabrica ‘ just before Tardajos , to the left a little bit off road , it was really nice ! And I slept in Rabe de las Calzadas in Albergue Libéra Domine.., short first day but next one to Hontanas (thé village so hidden you don’t see it until last moment !
Enjoy Buen Camino

Hola wanderingfriend,

Lovely photos! And Brrr! 😊I noticed in your last photo (of your shoes with the shell) that you’re wearing Altra Lone Peaks. I just bought those on the recommendation of my daughter who’s a runner. They feel wonderful. I would love to know how they hold up for you on the walk. (I am starting my walk in 4 months). Also, have you worn them before?

Have a wonderful journey!

I wore them last spring as well for one segment of the camino. They are fantastic! I believe they are rated too through hiking show. No complaints. Bought them one size bigger than I need so when my feel swell.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino , keep well. Cheers !

I wore them last spring as well for one segment of the camino. They are fantastic! I believe they are rated too through hiking show. No complaints. Bought them one size bigger than I need so when my feel swell.
That's great to hear! I appreciate the info. 🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Burgos looking fabulous many thanks for that!!!

I just left Burgos this morning. It was freezing. The wind icy. Most people were wearing masks, & must admit, I kept mine on mist of the way to Tardajos, where I am now. It kept the wind off my face!! 😷😄 I was also wearing my tee-shirt, long sleeve top, warm lightweight zipper jacket and my parka. Also buff & polar beanie and gloves. Boots, 2 pairs socks, & of course, long pants!! Equally as cold as walking through the snow from Navarette to Najera 😃, but less uphill to warm up. I'm having a magical time! I'm from the southern hemisphere & experiencing snow on my birthday was AMAZING!🥳🤗 Buen Camino Everyone! You can always choose your attitude. Choose a great one!!!!🥰

Live from Burgos to Leon. Today I travelled from Castrojeriz to Boadilla. It was a shorter day for me. But the head winds were fierce, and it seemed further than it was.

Observations: the albergues are not full. I loved my stay in Castrojeriz at the Albergue Orion. Such nice peopl3 and their Korean cook made a beautiful Korean mean. It was a nice change.
Today I walked nearly alone the whole way.

As to the weather:
I was wearing a merino wool base layer, a fleecy, merino wool vest and a down puffy coat with merino wool buff. I was barely warm enough. I know everyone wants to pack light but essential outer way is very important.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Tardajos to Hontanas today, & yes, headwind was fierce & icy. My polar beanie was down over my eyebrows, my merino buff was up over my mask, which I wore to protect my face from the wind. The hood of my puffy parka wouldn't stay on. However, the clouds were absolutely magnificent shades of grey interspersed with rich blue sky. The berry bushes & blossom trees sometimes beside the road are just starting to to show signs of Spring ( unlike the temperatures🥶). The little birds didn't seem bothered by the strong winds, but rather seemed to enjoy what looked like hovering in the air, not being able to fly into it. Being prepared to enjoy all weathers, even snow ❄ 🥰. As in life, fun comes in many forms!

I walked from Tardajos to Hontanas today, & yes, headwind was fierce & icy. My polar beanie was down over my eyebrows, my merino buff was up over my mask, which I wore to protect my face from the wind. The hood of my puffy parka wouldn't stay on. However, the clouds were absolutely magnificent shades of grey interspersed with rich blue sky. The berry bushes & blossom trees sometimes beside the road are just starting to to show signs of Spring ( unlike the temperatures🥶). The little birds didn't seem bothered by the strong winds, but rather seemed to enjoy what looked like hovering in the air, not being able to fly into it. Being prepared to enjoy all weathers, even snow ❄ 🥰. As in life, fun comes in many forms!
Reminds me of April 2019 !! Same weather and I enjoyed it too! Just a week

Later
I was lucky to be in Burgos for Easter celebration and the défilé of the penitents in front of the cathedral !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My other recommendation in Boadilla is an albergue run by a Dutch couple. Such warm hospitality and EXCELLENT FOOD.

Attachments

• 520A2FBA-4417-4F23-94F0-C4B0AC204297.jpeg
    520A2FBA-4417-4F23-94F0-C4B0AC204297.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 75
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was a beautiful day for sure. Cold. Windy and beautiful.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, it was a beautiful walk from Boadilla to Carrion yesterday. The head winds had stopped and the forecast rain didn’t happen. I loved the day. The fields were so green and the clouds! Wow. I am staying at the Monastery hotel with piped in Gregoria’s chants, my splurge day. Finding my stride. 25 km yesterday was okay but I prefer 20 with a short day every fourth day or so. I have been disappointed that more of the churches are not open.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am seeing that same comment from others posting live right now. They are attributing it to Easter crowds, especially Spanish pilgrims. Is that your sense as well?
I am not sure as the pilgrims I have been tracking with are not Spanish. I think this may be so after Leon. A lot of people are wanting single rooms so that is some of the issue. I think normal albergue beds are less of a problem. Many people are being creative and having to combine taxis to get to a place with a bed. I may be skipping Leon to Astorga because I just can’t find rooms. I can’t even begin to think what high season will be like with all those who have waited 2 years to go because of covid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just for your information: it is getting really difficult to find single beds from Carrion to Leon and beyond. I am surprised.
It was going that way when I was on the same stretch as you just a week ago. My feeling then was that it was more down to lack of open facilities rather than numbers of peregrinos; but I suspect the latter is now increasingly a factor.

Still walking the Meseta. It is cold and many layers are necessary as well as rain gear. The driving wind almost takes your breath away. I still love the Meseta, but those who looked at my packing list and said to take out my puffy down coat and fleece layer, well… I am glad I did not listen.
It is getting harder each day to find places to sleep. It seems many alburges and pensions are not open. It is also getting close to Easter weekend. Many people are walking, then taking taxi to another locale to find lodging.
I can’t even imagine what May and June will be like but maybe more will be open.

I am also walking the Meseta but, even though many albergues are not open I have not had any trouble getting a bed, & there have been spares (other than those left to be COVID- safe.) I am staying tonight in the peaceful, homely Italian albergue in Moratinos, called RP Hospital San Bruno. Beautiful garden, & delicious home made Italian meal for dinner. 😋
Also had no problems getting a bed in Villacalzar de Sirga or Calzadilla de la Cueza. Neither were full. In fact, I haven't found any full yet. All have still had plenty of beds. Perhaps I'm staying "off stage" & therefore not "with the crowd".
I do agree with needing the warm clothes!!!!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I start in a few weeks, and yes, these reports of not enough beds are worrying. However, I am okay with a bunk in a shared room and only the occasional private room. I am hoping some of the crowds are due to Easter, but we shall see what it’s like in May.

Today I walked to a small town outside of Leon, Arcahueja. I try to schedule a shorter 10-12 km day every forth day or so. I get caught up on laundry, relax and read or sleep. I am staying at la Torre Albergue, private room. It is squeaky clean and very basic. Very nice people. Tomorrow I have about 7 km into Leon. This is perfect. I am taking the weekend in Leon to celebrate Easter.
I am having a marvellous time.

Wanderingfriend,
It is a pleasure to read your updates and learn that all is going well. Tomorrow closer to Leon smile as you cross this crazy bridge.

Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Last edited:

€83,-
Today I walked to a small town outside of Leon, Arcahueja. I try to schedule a shorter 10-12 km day every forth day or so. I get caught up on laundry, relax and read or sleep. I am staying at la Torre Albergue, private room. It is squeaky clean and very basic. Very nice people. Tomorrow I have about 7 km into Leon. This is perfect. I am taking the weekend in Leon to celebrate Easter.
I am having a marvellous time.
Have also stayed at La Torre. Walk into Leon was short and we were there before 9 a.m. Buen Camino!

I am now in Leon. I had planned on staying all weekend, but coming out of Meseta solitude to wild partying and non stop parades, I just can’t stay. I am on my way toward Astorga. This will be my final destination for now, as I have an anniversary to celebrate with my husband, our 40th.
My impressions for this Camino, April.

1. I have been glad for my merino wool shirts, vest, socks and leggings, as well as my puffy down coat. My down sleeping blanket and silk liner (yes! There are bed bugs). I think to cut costs of heating, it is minimal if at all. I am glad for my one luxury item…my European heating pad. It has saved me!
2. Pilgrim meals are edible and appreciated but every once in a while splurge on some other food.
3. There is a lot of bread.
4. Wine is cheap
5. Lemonata is like sangria and is very yummy
6. You never know what someone is carrying, so,be kind and generous
7. Make a pact not to talk negatively about other pilgrims
8. Open your heart each day.

I am now in Leon. I had planned on staying all weekend, but coming out of Meseta solitude to wild partying and non stop parades, I just can’t stay. I am on my way toward Astorga. This will be my final destination for now, as I have an anniversary to celebrate with my husband, our 40th.

1. I have been glad for my merino wool shirts, vest, socks and leggings, as well as my puffy down coat. My down sleeping blanket and silk liner (yes! There are bed bugs). I think to cut costs of heating, it is minimal if at all. I am glad for my one luxury item…my European heating pad. It has saved me!
2. Pilgrim meals are edible and appreciated but every once in a while splurge on some other food.
4. Wine is cheap
What’s a European Heating Pad?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

4. Wine is cheap
Totally understandable. On my first Camino market day in Sahagun felt overwhelming. Leon in Semana Santa (whilst excellent, I’m sure) would be a huge contrast to the preceding days.

Lemonata pretty much is sangria - everywhere has a ready-mixed jug to hand and claims to have the best.

Bread is also everywhere. When dining with Spanish friends I order extra bread even before the first bread has arrived.

€83,-
I am in Hospital de Orbigo. The best albergue so far! Wow. You can even paint your experiences. Pilgrim paintings are on the walls. The couple who run it could not be kinder. The place is fantastic, a lovely garden, kitchen area. I am in a single room but the group rooms look fantastic. Shout out to Albergue de Peregrino San Maguel.

Attachments

• 71CF8850-22A6-4263-A1D0-8DEE54A6183A.jpeg
    71CF8850-22A6-4263-A1D0-8DEE54A6183A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 6BF9EE91-71A7-4B33-8EAA-3822021DC7E8.jpeg
    6BF9EE91-71A7-4B33-8EAA-3822021DC7E8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 4A7742F6-98A4-4465-BAD1-E7DAAC18FFB2.jpeg
    4A7742F6-98A4-4465-BAD1-E7DAAC18FFB2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 5946AB95-63C2-45A2-A168-6F489D383878.jpeg
    5946AB95-63C2-45A2-A168-6F489D383878.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 7367E729-64F7-45E9-A45E-6E7077EB9FA8.jpeg
    7367E729-64F7-45E9-A45E-6E7077EB9FA8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
I am in Hospital de Orbigo. The best albergue so far! Wow. You can even paint your experiences. Pilgrim paintings are on the walls. The couple who run it could not be kinder. The place is fantastic, a lovely garden, kitchen area. I am in a single room but the group rooms look fantastic. Shout out to Albergue de Peregrino San Maguel.
San Miguel is also my favourite Albergue. Arturo is a wonderfully kind, interesting and helpful man. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I am in Astorga. What a great city. Loved it. My Camino is over for now…may be back to finish after a 40th anniversary trip with my husband. It has been a lovely Camino. It has been cold though and I am thankful for my down puffy coat, my merino wool layers head to toe and my wide toe box shoes Altra Line Peak 5. They rocked. No blisters in 250 km.
I have met delightful people. Have slept alone most of the time and have experienced more than I could have hoped for! My heart is grateful.

Observations about my Camino and comments of other pilgrims:
1. When walking into and out of larger cities you add a lot more km to your daily numbers.

2. Preventative foot care, preemptive taping, takes time every morning but saves a lot of foot misery.

3. It has been cold, especially in the albergues. A silk liner is not enough, unless you want to sleep under (the sometimes available) blankets that I doubt get washed very often. My friend is sure that’s where her bed bugs came from.

4. My Packable down jacket has been my very best piece of equipment. The mornings have been very cold.

5. Don’t underestimate the downhill after Cruz de Ferro. Don’t try to make a 25 km day, it is slow and quite methodical pole walking is required. (That’s from my friends who have moved ahead).

6. Be grateful. The food isn’t always wonderful but it’s food.

7. Your pack needs to be light, even if you have to send stuff ahead. The inconvenience of knowing where it is going and your freedom is a small price to pay for your knees, hips etc.

8. If you find a particularly wonderful person running an albergue, and if you are able, give them a little extra. They have been 1 1/2 years without pilgrim income.

9. Always remember, it is your Camino. Do it your way. Don’t try to keep up with anyone, do what your body and soul can.

10. Remember, although difficult, this experience will shape the rest of your life in some way.

Buen Camino
(Disclaimer: these are my opinions, yours may be different).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.