• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Santiago

Ricka

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2015
I am planning to fly from Boston to Bilbao in April
then take a bus or train to Burgos then rent bikes for
Santiago. I am going with my
step-daughter. She is 30 and I am 62. I would walk but we only have 3 weeks and I want to do as big a slice as I can and still finish and allow for contingencies. Does this sound
like a good plan?
Ricka

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Shalom Ricka and Chanukah Greetings from Jerusalem!
Brierley knows to tell us that SdC is 316 miles from Burgos, knocking a day off to get there another to bring the bikes back that works out to 16 miles a day, something you could even walk. However, do bring into consideration, a rest day here and there, don't even consider skipping the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Burgos cathedral and the Monasterio de Las Huelgas Reales as you leave town, Leon cathedral and San Isodoro, Astorga and Gaudi, Monasterio de Samos, plus SdC itself - all add time and increase daily mileage. You may be enchanted by Fromista or Carrion dr los Condes, or Villafranca del Bierzo, even Sarria has a charm for some. I would recommend that you do a bit of research, make a list of must sees - my list above is just my own preferences choose whatever you want, figure how many actual travel days and half/days you have and calculate a daily mileage. On the Camino finish your daily and should you find yourselves in someplace not to your liking, Keep On Trucking, until the next stop. You can always use extra days for seeing the sights or even chugging on to Finisterre. One last word, some albergues will accept bike riders only late in the day, 1600-1700, plan well and work in private albergues, pensions, small hotels, casa rurales to your planning. Buen Camino!

Thanks for your advice Scruffy. I may have to come back more times to see and do it all!
Ricka

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If I were you I would pick a place like Granada and stay there for three weeks. Every day go for a walk in a different direction. Granada is blessed with a long and eventful history so you will encounter something interesting every day. You could spend three weeks just going to visit the Alhambra.

However, if it is your intent to experience culture on the camino ... pick a section to walk. People do cycle the camino and are welcome but they are not 'peers' to the walking crowd in the same way that backpackers can't relate to someone sitting on a horse. This trip isn't about 'doing' big slices. The camino is more about reducing life to small slices ... the lowest common denominator ... and cutting out anything unnecessary. Its the simplicity that such a lifestyle brings that attracts people to the camino.

If I were you I would pick a place like Granada and stay there for three weeks. Every day go for a walk in a different direction. Granada is blessed with a long and eventful history so you will encounter something interesting every day. You could spend three weeks just going to visit the Alhambra.

However, if it is your intent to experience culture on the camino ... pick a section to walk. People do cycle the camino and are welcome but they are not 'peers' to the walking crowd in the same way that backpackers can't relate to someone sitting on a horse. This trip isn't about 'doing' big slices. The camino is more about reducing life to small slices ... the lowest common denominator ... and cutting out anything unnecessary. Its the simplicity that such a lifestyle brings that attracts people to the camino.

Very well written and I couldn't agree any more. It's not about ddoing as much as posssible in the shortest time. It's about beeing there completly, in mind and in body. Of course it's nice to reach Santiago, but after a while that wasn't the main thing any more. It was all about the Camino, the journey. I wish I will be granted to have the helth to walk many different Caminos, in such a slow pace that I can count the snails crossing the road, and enjoy beeing a live. Take care out there and Buen Camino :D

Sixteen days is fantastic since everyday will be fantastic! I always walk very slowly, take about six weeks each time I set out, plenty of time and desire to see and do as much as possible. I have many times also observed other pilgrims who do slide into a mindset of kilometers left to do today, albergues to reach, how much further, how much accomplished, all needed in moderation but easily becoming an obsession up at 0530 and stop at dark – no time and too tired to do much else. There are treasures waiting for you to discover, art, architecture, good fellowship, spiritual introspection, and grand views – a problem on a bike, try and find touring handlebars

bike.jpg
Will allow you to keep your head up and looking around instead of watching the front wheel spin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sixteen days is fantastic since everyday will be fantastic! I always walk very slowly, take about six weeks each time I set out, plenty of time and desire to see and do as much as possible. I have many times also observed other pilgrims who do slide into a mindset of kilometers left to do today, albergues to reach, how much further, how much accomplished, all needed in moderation but easily becoming an obsession up at 0530 and stop at dark – no time and too tired to do much else. There are treasures waiting for you to discover, art, architecture, good fellowship, spiritual introspection, and grand views – a problem on a bike, try and find touring handlebars

View attachment 15422
Will allow you to keep your head up and looking around instead of watching the front wheel spin.

What would be a shorter distance then for 3 weeks, Leon? I would rather walk
when it comes down to it. Maybe I should go by myself. My wife doesn't
want to go anyway. It's not her thing.
I remember walking for a long distance
along Big Sur in California many years
ago also in a life transition. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.
Ricka

Check the forum or your e-mail, I've sent you a longish PM
S

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.