• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to SdC (?Finisterre)

ddraver

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie (Nov, 18)
Hi Guys

Cos life I have November pretty much free between jobs and thought that I could potentially fill it with a walk. Thanks to that bloke with the donkey, I ve always fancied the camino. It would be sort of three and a bit weeks

Having looked at the forum I suspect I don't have the time to make it the whole way from SJPP to SdC - at least without making it a Type II sort of fun. As I'd be coming from the UK, an easyjet flight to Madrid or Bilbao and then a train to Burgos seemed like a good option. I'd like to keep it a bit of a challenge so I thought maybe making the end point finisterre might round it off nicely (especially as, being cornish, I like the feel of finishing journeys at the sea).

I've a few questions though...

*Am I missing out on some beauty between France and Burgos? Would it be worth treating this as a 2 part trip? (I'll likely be free again in May so could finish off then)

*Am i making a terrible mistake doing it in November? The alternative is the Cornish coast path and I suspect weather will be slightly better in Spain, though that may be negligible.?

*I've done a bit of walking and bikepacking so I have some light weight camping kit already. I like the idea of spending the clear nights under the stars. Is this a worthwhile thing to do or does it miss the point? I thought it might plug any holes between refuges closed for the summer..?

*I thought leaving the smartphone at home would be interesting, being somewhat aspiritual...

What do you all think?

David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It is up to you about making it a two part trip. You could start in St. Jean in France then just walk at your own pace and wherever you end up begin from there next time. In November though the route Napoleon (high route) will be closed, the Valcarlos route is open all year round though. Or start in Pamplona if you don't fancy the Pyrenees. Burgos is fine to start from too.

No, no mistake walking in November, it is beautiful still and there will be other pilgrims around for company. Expect periods of rain, mud, mist and possibly some snow on higher elevations (and bright sunny days too)! I love walking there at this time, and you are escaping the heat!

You won't need any camping kit, there are plenty of albergues open in winter (a list is available in the resource section above, or any decent guide book/app will tell you which ones are open). I freecamp a lot on camino, but in November not so much! The lighter your pack the happier you will be.

Leaving your smartphone behind would certainly enhance your camino!

Hope this helps

Buen Camino
Davey

Thanks for your help Davey

With regard to the starting in SJPP, my concern was more about missing out on some amazing scenery (or similar). Maybe I should leave the Spanish Pyrenees for another time.

Excited now!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As I say the route Napoleon will be closed anyway in November, thats the route with the most spectacular views. However, the Valcarlos route is still beautiful though! I would start SJPdP. Plus the pilgrim office there will give you a lot of advice and a list of open accommodation all the way to Santiago too.

Ha! I bet you are excited, you are gonna love it!
Davey

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back