• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to SJPDP with travel strikes...

rosiexamanda

Rosie
Time of past OR future Camino
I have completed two Camino's in 2015, my first was the final 116km from Sarria to Santiago with a group of 19 for the Holy week in April, second in September on my own I walked from Melide to Finesterre around 180 km, my plans are, God Willing, to walk the whole Camino Frances in June and July for which I am currently preparing!
hello pilgrims! I arrive in Burgos at 19.30 in June 1st and my plan was to travel the next day to SJPDP but now with the news is so many strikes I think I should try and just keep going, does anyone know if buses and trains go at this time in the evening or if I should book them at all? Or should I stick to traveling the next day as I'll be very tired leaving England Tuesday evening without resting? Any advice as so far I am just booked to Burgos and not sure how to proceed from there!!?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How are you are traveling from Britain to Burgos? If directly you should not have a problem with the strikes which are only within France. Thus keep to your original plan and try to get some rest. Search on www.Rome2Rio.com for a selection of ways to travel the following day from Burgos to SJPdP.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree with mspath, I don't think it will affect you at all. The strikes are in France, you will be traveling from Spain to SJPdP on Spanish transport.

But why to Burgos from England? Which way are you traveling? There are easier ways than Burgos.

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you take the bus from Pamplona to SJPP, you shouldn't have problems with strikes.

I think the best option for you would be to stay in Burgos and travel next day to Pamplona. Take a train from Burgos to Pamplona (with www.renfe.com) and a bus from Pamplona to SJPP (with www.alsa.es/en). In Pamplona, allow yourself enough time to transfer from the train station to the bus station because they aren't close. If you don't want to walk, a bus out of the train station will leave you close to the bus station (ask on the ground). And, of course, if you prefer it, taxis are available.

Burgos to SJPdP.

Assuming no strikes ...

Take Renfe train from Burgos to Irun. Take Metro Donostialdea from Irun Colon station to Hendaia station. Take SNCF train from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP.

Else, take ALSA bus from Burgos to San Sebastian and San Sebastian to SJPdP via Pamplona.

With a 19:30 arrival at Burgos ... your options become limited. You will not get further than Irun using Renfe or San Sebastian using ALSA.

Many thanks all! Geatefully received Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In addition to the ongoing industrial action on French trains, it might be worth noting that a series of 24-hour strikes have been called by RENFE train drivers in Spain for 10, 12, 14 & 16 June. http://www.elmundo.es/economia/2016/05/27/57483687ca47414c018b45de.html

Whether or not they go ahead and what services might operate, if any, is another matter altogether ...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.