• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos - where to stamp? & sending bags on to hostels?

Susan L

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
Hi all,

Love this forum and finally plucking up the courage the day before I go to post a question!

My friend & I stay in Burgos tomorrow night to start walking on Monday. We won't stay in a pilgrim albergue the first night and we only arrive in Burgos at about 7.30pm. Must we get a stamp? And where should we get one then?

Also, my original plan was to carry my bag but I have strained my back and will now need to send bags on and haven't had time to do all the research and I know this has been asked before, so apologies for asking here again. My worry is that arriving in Burgos at that time will be too late to book a service for sending on - any advice there? I know that people recommend Jacotrans and Correos - any personal experience in Burgos on either? And I have seen conflicting messages about where to stay if you are sending bags on. I think I'm right that the municipal albergues won't accept bags, so we will have to book private ones?

Thank you in advance :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In order to obtain your first camino stamp in Burgos ask wherever you may be staying or eating to stamp your Credencial. There is no one particular place from which you must obtain a stamp; however the stamp from the cathedral can be obtained at their ticket office.

Buen camino!

http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html will probably answer your questions faster than even the blessed members of this forum. They know where forwarded packs are accepted.

There is no reason, other than personal preference, why you could not stay at the excellent association Albergue next to the Cathedral in Burgos on your first night and obtain a stamp from them.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can get the stamp almost everywhere, maybe even at a Kebab fast food...

You will be surprised at how many places have stamps. You can get a sello at practically every bar or cafe along the route, any hotel, and of course churches and alberques. So you can just get your first stamp in Burgos from wherever you stay.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Burgos was the one place I had to make sure I found stamps. I spent two days there, but stayed with family, ate with them at home for two meals a day, and when we went out to eat the places didn't have sellos (Restaurantes Polvorilla & La Parilla one day and the military house the other). Even with all that working against my quest for stamps I left the city with three- one from the cathedral, one from Cartuja de Miraflores, and one from a cafe as I was leaving town. You'll be fine.

http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html will probably answer your questions faster than even the blessed members of this forum. They know where forwarded packs are accepted.

There is no reason, other than personal preference, why you could not stay at the excellent association Albergue next to the Cathedral in Burgos on your first night and obtain a stamp from them.

Buen Camino
Just wondering if you know if they take a reservation there? I will be starting in Burgos as well but will most likely only arrive later in the day as my flight lands in Madrid at 2pm so I just wonder if I should be concerned about finding a bed when I get to Burgos. Thanks

@Deanpf, so far as I am aware the Albergue does not take reservations. Its a big place with plenty of beds. Without an indication of your travel date its a bit difficult to advise you. Assuming you are travelling mid-week there are buses direct from Barajas T4 to Burgos at 15:15; 18:45 and 19:15. Journey time is around 2hrs 30mins fare €19-25. See
https://www.alsa.es/ If you likely arrival time in Burgos is after 10pm I would suggest you try one of the booking websites and find an inexpensive hostal. There is a wealth of other accommodation in Burgos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Deanpf, so far as I am aware the Albergue does not take reservations. Its a big place with plenty of beds. Without an indication of your travel date its a bit difficult to advise you. Assuming you are travelling mid-week there are buses direct from Barajas T4 to Burgos at 15:15; 18:45 and 19:15. Journey time is around 2hrs 30mins fare €19-25. See
https://www.alsa.es/ If you likely arrival time in Burgos is after 10pm I would suggest you try one of the booking websites and find an inexpensive hostal. There is a wealth of other accommodation in Burgos.
Thanks very much for that info. very helpful. I am arriving on Monday May 30th at 13:45 (might be tight to get the 15:15 bus but it would be my goal). I would love to stay at an albergue on my first night but am wary of arriving late and not getting a bed- or of booking a bus in case my plane arrives late.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can look on www.booking.com for a room, but they are getting pricey if you can find one this late.
For bags, I love Caminofacil and you can book (and pay) on their page today and they'll start picking up your bags tomorrow.
Or you can just have your hotelier call them tonight if you don't have a planned out schedule.
But you MUST make bag transport reservations before 8 am tomorrow or chance not getting them.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back