• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos

gns

Time of past OR future Camino
Ciudad Real to Medina Del Campo - Sep 2023
Reached Burgos today after 12 days of walking. Since I posted in Logrono there has been no real change to the precautions. The weather has been variable with on big rainstorm which luckily came after the end of a stage.

Logrono to Najera was memorable mainly for the rabbits and red squirrels in the park at the edge of Logrono. There has been a major project to upgrade the camino as you leave Logrono. I don’t know if this is new. The municipal in Najera was closed and most people seemed to be in the private Purrta de Najera by the bridge which waa very good.

Najera to Santiago Domingo de Calzada was without difficulty and we all stayed at the big municipal de Santo albergue. The regulations here are being enforced strictly. Mattresses have been removed from the top bunks and alternate facilities in the bathrooms taped over to prevent use. There was still plenty of space.

After Granon the next day we crossed into Castile y Leon. The day was hot and none of the bars or cafes in the intermediate villages were open before stage end in Belorado. We stayed at the Albergue a Peregrinos at the start of Belorado for eight euros. Our room had sixteen capacity reduced to six. They are careful about mask wearing but bathroom facilities are not restricted.

As the people I was walking with decided to take a rest day in Belorado I set out at 5am to try and reach Atapuerca before it got too hot. The first open bar was in the hotel above the church in Villafranca. Once I reached the top of the climb I walked alone through the forest to San Juan de Ortega before continuing to Atapuerca. Bars were open in both San Juan and Ages. During 30km I saw one group of four Spanish pilgrims at the cafe in Villafranca and one pilgtim in the bar at San Juan. Bar a couple of locals and a few cyclists I walked in solitude and bright sunshine. It was oneof the best days I have had on Camino. I stayed in La Plazuela Verde which is a sensitive restoration of an old barn (I think) for 12 euros spoilt a bit by loud music next door.

This morning’s walk to Burgos was fine. I saw three Peregrinos I know and we had coffee at the start of the long drag into town. This was ok as it was Saturday morning with little traffic and early enough to be cool.

I will take a rest day tomorrow then on to the Meseta.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Was thinking of the great food at cerveceria Morito in Burgos where I had black pudding and egg with eels

Reached Burgos today after 12 days of walking. Since I posted in Logrono there has been no real change to the precautions. The weather has been variable with on big rainstorm which luckily came after the end of a stage.

Logrono to Najera was memorable mainly for the rabbits and red squirrels in the park at the edge of Logrono. There has been a major project to upgrade the camino as you leave Logrono. I don’t know if this is new. The municipal in Najera was closed and most people seemed to be in the private Purrta de Najera by the bridge which waa very good.

Najera to Santiago Domingo de Calzada was without difficulty and we all stayed at the big municipal de Santo albergue. The regulations here are being enforced strictly. Mattresses have been removed from the top bunks and alternate facilities in the bathrooms taped over to prevent use. There was still plenty of space.

After Granon the next day we crossed into Castile y Leon. The day was hot and none of the bars or cafes in the intermediate villages were open before stage end in Belorado. We stayed at the Albergue a Peregrinos at the start of Belorado for eight euros. Our room had sixteen capacity reduced to six. They are careful about mask wearing but bathroom facilities are not restricted.

As the people I was walking with decided to take a rest day in Belorado I set out at 5am to try and reach Atapuerca before it got too hot. The first open bar was in the hotel above the church in Villafranca. Once I reached the top of the climb I walked alone through the forest to San Juan de Ortega before continuing to Atapuerca. Bars were open in both San Juan and Ages. During 30km I saw one group of four Spanish pilgrims at the cafe in Villafranca and one pilgtim in the bar at San Juan. Bar a couple of locals and a few cyclists I walked in solitude and bright sunshine. It was oneof the best days I have had on Camino. I stayed in La Plazuela Verde which is a sensitive restoration of an old barn (I think) for 12 euros spoilt a bit by loud music next door.

This morning’s walk to Burgos was fine. I saw three Peregrinos I know and we had coffee at the start of the long drag into town. This was ok as it was Saturday morning with little traffic and early enough to be cool.

The “long drag into town”. Four little words that so charitably understate that entry into Burgos!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Was thinking of the great food at cerveceria Morito in Burgos where I had black pudding and egg with eels
Just had pastry from Mercadona as late lunch as we will meet up later for dinner. Think I’ll pass on the eels though.

I didn’t like black pudding but in Burgos it tastes really good. I had some with eggs this morning and was reminiscing of how great it tasted when I arrived in Burgos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two words Spring to mind...River route :)
I stayed overnight on Mother's Day 2017 in Castanares, then on Monday walked the river route into Burgos. It was cool in the early morning, and the river was like a companion. I wasn't even bothered by the sign letting me know there are rattlesnakes about. . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed overnight on Mother's Day 2017 in Castanares, then on Monday walked the river route into Burgos. It was cool in the early morning, and the river was like a companion. I wasn't even bothered by the sign letting me know there are rattlesnakes about. . .
Thanks for making me laugh 😂 It is a lovely route, and worth the effort of trying to find it...

Did that route last June. Finished in Burgos. Planned to pick it up across the Mesata hoping to reach Leon this year in May. Had to postpone due to lockdown. Planning to continue though may be in 2021. Will follow your journey with much interest Buen Camino .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did that route last June. Finished in Burgos. Planned to pick it up across the Mesata hoping to reach Leon this year in May. Had to postpone due to lockdown. Planning to continue though may be in 2021. Will follow your journey with much interest Buen Camino .
The Meseta, starting in Burgos, is possibly one of the most beautiful and reflective stretches of the Camino. Easy to walk, peaceful, and with lots of time for inner reflection. I love the Meseta. Incredible. Peace.

Buen Camino!

The Meseta, starting in Burgos, is possibly one of the most beautiful and reflective stretches of the Camino. Easy to walk, peaceful, and with lots of time for inner reflection. I love the Meseta. Incredible. Peace.

Buen Camino!
Alex: the Meseta experience moved me to the place of reflection you describe like no other stretch of the Camino. I wrote about it extensively in my journal. To be completely lost in thought for days on end was pure bliss. Although it has been 3 years, I think about that crossing every day when I walk through our local forest lands. Thank you for lending your voice to something deeply felt by many.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I feel so envious, I can recall those days walking from Villafranca da Orca to Burgos about two years ago. At Burgos I said goodbye to Ute who I met at Orisson, we both stayed at the Gite as their main place was full.

I would have missed the river route too but met an English lady who lives in Paris and had walked the CF 14+ times told me exactly what to watch out for in the next village. i was sitting in a bar drinking coffee and she came over and joined me, both drying off after rain. It was my first Camino and, on reaching the village, I knew I would have completely missed the turn off the main road without her directions. The river route was quiet and glorious. sure glad I didn’t know about rattlesnakes!
thanks so much for your posts. Hope your backpack doesn’t feel too heavy as I have jumped in 😀

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Meseta is great once you have reached the top of"killer hill" I am sure you will love it.
I will be with you all the way as I am thinking of walking from Burgos next month.
Buen Camino

There are no rattlesnakes in Spain, @Shona ... so no worries. You missed nothing.
(Well, vipers, maybe... ;) )

I found the river route very easy to find, just using Brierly's map. It is lovely, and infinitely better than an industrial strip.
I didn’t mind too much as otherwise I would not have had coffee at all during the stage.

I am enjoying Burgos. The cathedral is great, and I can recommend the Museum of Human Evolution which gives a discount to Peregrinos unlike the cathedral. Were I homo medievalensis I would see an allegory in this.

I didn’t mind too much as otherwise I would not have had coffee at all during the stage.

I am enjoying Burgos. The cathedral is great, and I can recommend the Museum of Human Evolution which gives a discount to Peregrinos unlike the cathedral. Were I homo medievalensis I would see an allegory in this.
When I was there in 2018 (twice) there was a substantial discount for pilgrims at the cathedral. How quickly things can change.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Enjoy the Meseta - my favorite part.

Thank you for the report of the current status. No matter how many times I walked that Camino, I'm always ready to return. Clean and garbage free! I hope we'll keep it that way.

GNS, thanks for your excellent summary and providing flashbacks to me on our caminos. A few memories:
  • During our first camino (2015), when we arrived in Najera, the first albergue was "completo" so we decided to stay at the municipal albergue. It was donativo and the hospitaleros were very nice. We went to find a bed and found out that there was a single sleeping room with 46 bunk beds! And by early evening, it also was "completo". Imagine sleeping with over ninety pilgrims in one room. Poor ventilation, lots of snoring and other nighttime noises. There was one bath / shower room for men and another for women. Of the three showers in the men's room, one was broken.
  • Checking in at the San Juan de Ortega municipal albergue, the hospitalero asked if we wanted to have dinner there. We knew there was a bar nearby, so we declined. He then behaved very nasty towards us, like the Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld. We did have dinner at the bar and it was excellent. The bartender declared they serve the very best morcilla (blood sausage) in all of Spain. A few pilgrims that had eaten at the municipal came to the bar, saying their dinner was disgusting. By the way, that is how we recalled the night in the municipal, dark, dirty, smelly.
  • I still recall the extremely steep climb right out of Castrojerez. I thought we'd never make it. Having finally made it to the summit, a fellow pilgrim from the US (named Lyle). screamed out "That hill just kicked my ass!"
  • Our second camino we hiked the "river route" into Burgos. It was so scenic and peaceful. We were determined to hike it again last year, but missed the turnoff, so walked the commercial route into town. We'll be more attentive next time !
GNS, thanks for helping me relive some fond memories! Bob

When I was there in 2018 (twice) there was a substantial discount for pilgrims at the cathedral. How quickly things can change.
I am afraid you are right. I checked the website and I did get a discount. A good story spoilt, but another reason to walk the Camino Torres. At the cathedral in Ciudad Rodrigo the discount is 100 %.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GNS, thanks for your excellent summary and providing flashbacks to me on our caminos. A few memories:
  • During our first camino (2015), when we arrived in Najera, the first albergue was "completo" so we decided to stay at the municipal albergue. It was donativo and the hospitaleros were very nice. We went to find a bed and found out that there was a single sleeping room with 46 bunk beds! And by early evening, it also was "completo". Imagine sleeping with over ninety pilgrims in one room. Poor ventilation, lots of snoring and other nighttime noises. There was one bath / shower room for men and another for women. Of the three showers in the men's room, one was broken.

Another experience: 2016

We stayed at the municipal albergue in Najera, and I was so tired, I don't remember falling asleep! We had walked 27 miles that day-- For dinner, we made too much food for the two of us, and so we fed the next four pilgrims who came through the door. -- And then we wandered the town where there was a wonderful fiesta going on. We bought an apricot pie and a huge meat pie and feasted the next day. Back at the hostel, I fell into my top bunk, and didn't hear a thing until it was time to get up the next morning.

Buen Camino everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We can translate víbora as vibrate, hence rattle.
According to this source, the origin of the word "viper" in English is not "vibrate." My guess is that it would not be so in Spanish, either. In Spanish, "vibrate" is "vibrar". Now we could look into the origin of that word! In any case, I think it is safe to conclude that a vibora is a viper, and not a rattlesnake.

Here's the photo I took of the snake sign. It was shortly after joining the 'river route' outside Castanares. We can translate víbora as vibrate, hence rattle. View attachment 80011
Vibora means snake. Not rattle. Similarity to English words will get you if you're not careful. Embarasada is one that has given rise to some hilarious stories...

Vibora means snake. Not rattle. Similarity to English words will get you if you're not careful. Embarasada is one that has given rise to some hilarious stories...
Ahhh, but a rattlesnake—just not this snake which I wish would rattle— is a viper. As is a cottonmouth, copperhead, brown snake, bamboo viper, etc. They are hemo-toxic as distinct from neuro-toxic snakes like the coral snake and banded krate. I'm not a herpetologist, and, apparently, not a linguist either. But, I am happy, now, to be corrected and exposed to the error of my on-the-fly Spanish translation. Obviously a bit wide of the mark. My Mexican friend has informed me a Vibora is a viper. I know a little about word trouble, too. On my first visit to a bar in Madrid, I ordered Jabon y Huevos. Life goes on once the egg is removed from the face. . .:cool:🐍

€60,-
  • Checking in at the San Juan de Ortega municipal albergue, the hospitalero asked if we wanted to have dinner there. We knew there was a bar nearby, so we declined. He then behaved very nasty towards us, like the Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld. We did have dinner at the bar and it was excellent. The bartender declared they serve the very best morcilla (blood sausage) in all of Spain. A few pilgrims that had eaten at the municipal came to the bar, saying their dinner was disgusting. By the way, that is how we recalled the night in the municipal, dark, dirty, smelly.
  • I still recall the extremely steep climb right out of Castrojerez. I thought we'd never make it. Having finally made it to the summit, a fellow pilgrim from the US (named Lyle). screamed out "That hill just kicked my ass!"
  • Our second camino we hiked the "river route" into Burgos. It was so scenic and peaceful. We were determined to hike it again last year, but missed the turnoff, so walked the commercial route into town. We'll be more attentive next time !
GNS, thanks for helping me relive some fond memories! Bob
Your experience at San Juan de Ortega was similar to mine on two different occasions. Never again!

Thank you for posting this. I feel very envious, I actually chickened out of walking the Camino francés this year.
Buen Camino!

Buen Camino.
Brings back many wonderful memories.
Gracias.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thank you for sharing. It has brought back wonderful memories. Stay safe and enjoy

Rattlesnakes? Those are a North American specie. You won't see them in Spain, unless you bring your own.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It wasn't me, Kirkie, VNwalking, and Rebekah, I swear! I'm self quarantined here in Anacortes (which sounds like a small town outside Madrid, I know). I hate snakes. I have nightmares from my time in Viet Nam when I was nearly dispatched by a bamboo viper. We have no poisonous snakes west of the Cascade Mountains which is why I live here. I never thought my casual mention of a beautiful walk into Burgos along the 'river route' and a photo of a viper would get me into so much trouble. But our wonderful Forum community has a way of letting down gently all who err. So, if you'll excuse me, I'll return now to tilting at windmills. . .;)

I still recall the extremely steep climb right out of Castrojerez. I thought we'd never make it. Having finally made it to the summit

I still recall that hill with amusement.

The change in elevation is not significant - about 120 metres. What is significant is is that change occurs over about 1.1 km or about a 10% rate.

My amusement came when a very much younger person and I started at the same time - late morning. We kept pretty much in step for most of the distance. Then, much to my regret she began to pull ahead with about 200 metres to go to the shelter at the top. Then 50 metres from the top she stopped and pulled out a water bottle. The tortoise (me of course) kept going, stopping only at the top. She caught me up there and just kept going.

That hill just confirms my understanding of the diabolical nature of the route planners. Not just here, but everywhere. We go up 100 metres. And immediately descend most of it over the next 1 or 2 kilometres.

This thread is a recap of the writers journey from Logrono to Burgos. And, as I write, @gns has most probably passed through Castrojeriz. To avoid the hill there is a slightly longer route to Puente Fitero (the bridge over the Rio Pisuerga). At the foot of the hill turn right. From there it is 2 km to the village Mota de Judios. From the village its is 7 km along the road BU 403 that leads directly to the Puente. Along this road is a very gentle rise of 50 metres and and equally gentle descent to the bridge.

So you pays your money and you take your choice.

@gna, to you I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, keep going) and I look forward to reading your next installment.

The change in elevation is not significant - about 120 metres. What is significant is is that change occurs over about 1.1 km or about a 10% rate.

My amusement came when a very much younger person and I started at the same time - late morning. We kept pretty much in step for most of the distance. Then, much to my regret she began to pull ahead with about 200 metres to go to the shelter at the top. Then 50 metres from the top she stopped and pulled out a water bottle. The tortoise (me of course) kept going, stopping only at the top. She caught me up there and just kept going.

That hill just confirms my understanding of the diabolical nature of the route planners. Not just here, but everywhere. We go up 100 metres. And immediately descend most of it over the next 1 or 2 kilometres.

This thread is a recap of the writers journey from Logrono to Burgos. And, as I write, @gns has most probably passed through Castrojeriz. To avoid the hill there is a slightly longer route to Puente Fitero (the bridge over the Rio Pisuerga). At the foot of the hill turn right. From there it is 2 km to the village Mota de Judios. From the village its is 7 km along the road BU 403 that leads directly to the Puente. Along this road is a very gentle rise of 50 metres and and equally gentle descent to the bridge.

@gna, to you I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, keep going) and I look forward to reading your next installment.
IMG_2803.jpg Alwyn: Do these photos look familiar? I recall going up that 12% grade outside Castrojerez. I'd move up 300 paces, then pause, then count 200 paces, and pause. Then 100 paces. I began to wonder what was wrong with me. For such a short distance, it was brutal (photo1) And then the steep 18% grade down (photo 2)

Attachments

• IMG_2805.jpg
    IMG_2805.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
View attachment 80087 Alwyn: Do these photos look familiar? I recall going up that 12% grade outside Castrojerez. I'd move up 300 paces, then pause, then count 200 paces, and pause. Then 100 paces. I began to wonder what was wrong with me. For such a short distance, it was brutal (photo1) And then the steep 18% grade down (photo 2)
Sorry, Alwyn, I misspelled. Correction: Castrojeriz.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I live up a hill like that - the last 50 metres to my driveway is much much steeper, and it is a gravel road - short, sharp and steep. Everyone who visits loves the amazing view (270 degrees close sea view around a peninsula), they look down to the wharf below and want to walk down to it. I do warn them that they will have to walk back up, but no-one realises the steepness on the way down! I have had visitors walk down then ring me and ask to collect them in the car! Its only 200 metres. When you get to the beach and look up, you get a much more accurate sense of the steepness. Ive been there nearly 20 years, and walk it multiple times a day, I can tell you, it never gets any less steep, even my dogs lag. There is a playground in the camp ground by the beach that the kids loved, but they would walk down and then yell at me to collect them.
It can actually be a challenge to drive up, not for me, Im used to it, but for some people who freak out, they phone first and let me know they're on their way, park at the beach and I have to collect them (200 metres) in my car.
My dad describes my location as being 'steep to overhanging' - which is an exaggeration - but he has never had any trouble getting his big touring bike up there (the area around the actual house is flat).
The whole area around is also hilly, which is good practice for the Camino. Most of the year we leave the dinghy and canoes down at the beach, but in the summer it gets busy and we have to take them home each time or risk them being 'borrowed'. Two people up that hill carrying two kayaks is a workout.
The only flat land I have ever walked on is the beach itself.

Last edited:

I live up a hill like that - the last 50 metres to my driveway is much much steeper, and it is a gravel road - short, sharp and steep. Everyone who visits loves the amazing view (270 degrees close sea view around a peninsula), they look down to the wharf below and want to walk down to it. I do warn them that they will have to walk back up, but no-one realises the steepness on the way down! I have had visitors walk down then ring me and ask to collect them in the car! Its only 200 metres. When you get to the beach and look up, you get a much more accurate sense of the steepness. Ive been there nearly 20 years, and walk it multiple times a day, I can tell you, it never gets any less steep, even my dogs lag. There is a playground in the camp ground by the beach that the kids loved, but they would walk down and then yell at me to collect them.
It can actually be a challenge to drive up, not for me, Im used to it, but for some people who freak out, they phone first and let me know they're on their way, park at the beach and I have to collect them (200 metres) in my car.
My dad describes my location as being 'steep to overhanging' - which is an exaggeration - but he has never had any trouble getting his big touring bike up there (the area around the actual house is flat).
The whole area around is also hilly, which is good practice for the Camino. Most of the year we leave the dingy and canoes down at the beach, but in the summer it gets busy and we have to take them home each time or risk them being 'borrowed'. Two people up that hill carrying two kayaks is a workout.
The only flat land I have ever walked on is the beach itself.

I absolutely loved Burgos when I passed through there at Easter 2018. A pilgrim I met lived in Burgos and invited me to stay at his home. We had a magic time - Burgos is famous for its Easter parades and afterwards, boy can the locals play!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I absolutely loved Burgos when I passed through there at Easter 2018. A pilgrim I met lived in Burgos and invited me to stay at his home. We had a magic time - Burgos is famous for its Easter parades and afterwards, boy can the locals play!!!
How fortunate you had that experience! Nothing is better than being in the local scene with someone who knows it. You are, obviously, simpático.

Do these photos look familiar?
And then the steep 18% grade down

At least someone had the good grace to put an everlasting surface on the 18% descent. Plus it is only about 300 metres. But, I think, this proves my point the promoters of this route have a view one is not a true pilgrim until you have endure their local adversity. I just come across it some many times.

I live up a hill like that

I have a similar situation on one of my training walks. The first 8 km from home is in three sections:
1) 4.7 km ascend 183 metres - quite gentle most of the way and great views looking back:
2) 1.4 km descend 82 metres - quite gentle between two hills, so no views:
3) 1.9 km ascend 216 metres - similar rate of climb to the hill west of Castrojeriz - great views looking back.
The fourth section is a 6 km descent of 350 metres down to a river - very gentle - starts as a farm then urban

I usually have a breakfast after section 3

@Anamiri, kia kaha

On my current virtual Camino Frances, I was recalling this:
"The photos of the hill though, after Castrojeriz. Is it something of Mostelares? I can still feel the determination as I tackled that. I invented a way of breathing to propel me up and over: two breaths in, two breaths out. 17 minutes. I didn't stop. I was too afraid that I would just collapse and refuse to take another step! We are talking chicken here. Armchair athlete. Not any more though, thankfully." Numbers and gradients and all ups and downs - they don't mean much to me till I am walking them.
That's why my face looks like this when I see what rises ahead!
montes de oca.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's why my face looks like this when I see what rises ahead!
Beautiful.
This is a classic version of what a friend and I call "the camino look." Seen when tackling something that takes grit...and grace. The halfway-up-that-tough-hill look, AKA the "I-ain't-gonna-stop" look.
💖

Walked up the hill this morning. While it wasn’t easy I always take pleasure later in a Camino in how much fitter I am than whe I started. The view is a real reward as well

OK so... how exactly does one get into this River route?
Here it is:

It is a good idea to search the forums. It took me 2 minutes to find this one in the Resources section. It is a very pleasant entry to Burgos, completely different from the (sub)urban walk for ca. 8 kms. all on asphalt/pavements. Terrible.

Edit: I found also a link to a PDF of the river way, but got a warning from my browser when I tried to access it. So I'll leave further searches up to you. The above link is a good descrition of the river way, anyway.

The link above contains a small, but insignificant error: The Camino is not going through the main city gate by the cathedral, but over a small rriver bridge some distance before, which will lead you directly to the municipal albeargue. Well marked, but keep your eyes open. But no big deal.

EDIT: Do NOT use that link: It leads to an unsecure site now! Read the rest of this thread first!

Last edited:
Burgos Is indeed special. The city center is one of the best preserved in northern Spain. Hotels and hostals are also great value. On each pass through the city I try to go to El Morito. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Spain. The warm “salad” with calamares and mushrooms a la plancha with a jamón and nut vinaigrette sounds weird, but is excellent. The alpargatas de jamón, morcillas, and other dishes are also worth ordering. Ask the server for recommendations or order what the locals order. The sangria which I normally do not order also gets high marks.

Do not worry about being served eels there as the gulas are a processed fish product that resemble baby eels. True baby eels are normally over 100 euros a kilo.

My only complaint is that the Museo de la Evolución Humana closes at midday.

€60,-
Burgos Is indeed special. The city center is one of the best preserved in northern Spain. Hotels and hostals are also great value. On each pass through the city I try to go to El Morito. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Spain. The warm “salad” with calamares and mushrooms a la plancha with a jamón and nut vinaigrette sounds weird, but is excellent. The alpargatas de jamón, morcillas, and other dishes are also worth ordering. Ask the server for recommendations or order what the locals order. The sangria which I normally do not order also gets high marks.

Do not worry about being served eels there as the gulas are a processed fish product that resemble baby eels. True baby eels are normally over 100 euros a kilo.

My only complaint is that the Museo de la Evolución Humana closes at midday.
It must open again later, because we spend a whole afternoon there.

It must open again later, because we spend a whole afternoon there.
Midday meant from 14:30 to 16:30. That is what the website states. I actually think that they might even have extended the midday break from 13:30 to 16:30. Coming from Catalonia, it is weird that a world-class museum still has these hours.

Midday meant from 14:30 to 16:30. That is what the website states. I actually think that they might even have extended the midday break from 13:30 to 16:30. Coming from Catalonia, it is weird that a world-class museum still has these hours.
It was 2016 when we went, looks like the hours have changed since then. We would have been there during those hours. We just about had the place to ourselves, so maybe there weren't enough people visiting then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here it is:

It is a good idea to search the forums. It took me 2 minutes to find this one in the Resources section. It is a very pleasant entry to Burgos, completely different from the (sub)urban walk for ca. 8 kms. all on asphalt/pavements. Terrible.

Edit: I found also a link to a PDF of the river way, but got a warning from my browser when I tried to access it. So I'll leave further searches up to you. The above link is a good descrition of the river way, anyway.

The link above contains a small, but insignificant error: The Camino is not going through the main city gate by the cathedral, but over a small rriver bridge some distance before, which will lead you directly to the municipal albeargue. Well marked, but keep your eyes open. But no big deal.
Thanks Alex. For whatever reason I'm beginning to have more and more of senior moments (well... I am after all a year older :rolleyes: ) and forget to scan the forum for previous posts

Thanks Alex. For whatever reason I'm beginning to have more and more of senior moments (well... I am after all a year older :rolleyes: ) and forget to scan the forum for previous posts
I am also a senior. Troublesome some times indeed :) Make sure you take the river route. The alternative is the worst part of the Camino IMHO.

The yellow line is the Camino. The red line (more or less) is the river route. As you can see, if you are passing the end of the airport, you are on the wrong/bad trail, even if this is marked as the "official" Camino. Take care here.

Hope this helps.

Kart Burgos.png

Last edited:
I did a walking route along the river, via Google Maps that is shown below. It starts at Albergue Via Minera because that is where I stayed the night before Burgos. It is correct up until item 16 where Google Maps tries to direct you along the nearby road rather than via the river paths.

If you turn on the satellite coverage you will see the river tracks that you can follow.

To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/eFffeCFL2fhXXzjZ8

Shared route
From Albergue Vía minera to Burgos Cathedral via Ctra. Cardeñuela.

3 hr 11 min (16 km)

1. Head west on Calle Iglesia
2. Turn left
3. Turn left toward Ctra. Cardeñuela
4. Turn right onto Ctra. Cardeñuela
5. Continue onto Calle Principal/Ctra. Villafria
6. Turn left onto Via Minera
7. Slight left
8. Turn right
9. Arrive at location: Orbaneja Riopico
10. Head west toward Calle Villafría
11. Turn right onto Calle Villafría
12. Turn right onto Calle Mayor/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
13. Turn left onto Calle Obidus
14. Arrive at location: Calle Obidus
15. Head northwest on Calle Obidus
16. Turn right onto BU-800
17. Turn right
18. Arrive at location: Mirador del arlanzón
19. Head south toward BU-800
20. Turn right onto BU-800
21. Turn right
22. Arrive at location: Playa fluvial Fuente del Prior
23. Head southeast toward BU-800
24. Turn right onto BU-800
25. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Nuevo Bulevar
26. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Nuevo Bulevar
27. Turn right onto Calle El Monín
28. Turn left onto Paseo Quinta
29. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
30. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
31. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
32. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
33. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Puente Gasset/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
34. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Puente Gasset/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
35. Turn left onto Av. del Arlanzón/N-120
36. Slight right
37. Turn right toward Paseo Espolón
38. Turn left onto Paseo Espolón
39. Turn right onto Plaza Rey San Fernando
40. Turn left to stay on Plaza Rey San Fernando
41. Arrive at location: Burgos Cathedral

Last edited:
I did a walking route via Google Maps that is shown below. It starts at Albergue Via Mineral because that is where I stayed the night before Burgos. It is correct up until item 16 where Google Maps tries to direct you along the nearby road rather than via the river paths.

If you turn on the satellite coverage you will see the river tracks that you can follow.

Shared route
From Albergue Vía minera to Burgos Cathedral via Ctra. Cardeñuela.

3 hr 11 min (16 km)

1. Head west on Calle Iglesia
2. Turn left
3. Turn left toward Ctra. Cardeñuela
4. Turn right onto Ctra. Cardeñuela
5. Continue onto Calle Principal/Ctra. Villafria
6. Turn left onto Via Minera
7. Slight left
8. Turn right
9. Arrive at location: Orbaneja Riopico
10. Head west toward Calle Villafría
11. Turn right onto Calle Villafría
12. Turn right onto Calle Mayor/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
13. Turn left onto Calle Obidus
14. Arrive at location: Calle Obidus
15. Head northwest on Calle Obidus
16. Turn right onto BU-800
17. Turn right
18. Arrive at location: Mirador del arlanzón
19. Head south toward BU-800
20. Turn right onto BU-800
21. Turn right
22. Arrive at location: Playa fluvial Fuente del Prior
23. Head southeast toward BU-800
24. Turn right onto BU-800
25. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Nuevo Bulevar
26. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Nuevo Bulevar
27. Turn right onto Calle El Monín
28. Turn left onto Paseo Quinta
29. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
30. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
31. At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
32. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Cartuja de Miraflores/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
33. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Calle Puente Gasset/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
34. Exit the roundabout onto Calle Puente Gasset/Carr. de Logroño/N-120
35. Turn left onto Av. del Arlanzón/N-120
36. Slight right
37. Turn right toward Paseo Espolón
38. Turn left onto Paseo Espolón
39. Turn right onto Plaza Rey San Fernando
40. Turn left to stay on Plaza Rey San Fernando
41. Arrive at location: Burgos Cathedral
Are you describing the street route or the river route into Burgos? The river route is very easy, but it may be hard to find the start of it. That is why so many find themselves in an urban/industrial area for hours of walking.

Are you describing the street route or the river route into Burgos? The river route is very easy, but it may be hard to find the start of it. That is why so many find themselves in an urban/industrial area for hours of walking.
I edited the post to make it more obvious.

I edited the post to make it more obvious.
Yes, it looks like the river route, but in much more detail than mine. The most important thing is to take left after the highway crossing and just follow the airport edge; Not continuing to go around the end of it. The river route is very easy as long as you can find the entry point to it. The difference is huge.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was 2016 when we went, looks like the hours have changed since then. We would have been there during those hours. We just about had the place to ourselves, so maybe there weren't enough people visiting then.
Or maybe the guards simply forgot to escort you out in the time of midday closure :D

The most important thing is to take left after the highway crossing and just follow the airport edge; Not continuing to go around the end of it. The river route is very easy as long as you can find the entry point to it. The difference is huge.
The other tricky bit is after passing the airport.
When you get into Castrañares, don't take a right at the main cross street but go straight on. Once you get to the river, turn right and follow it all the way into town.
Follow Brierley's instructions to the letter and you'll be right. It's really easy, if you are paying attention. ;)

Screenshot attached, directions from the end of the airport to the river, from my OsmAnd app.
Screenshot_20200805-102007_OsmAnd.jpg

The other tricky bit is after passing the airport.
When you get into Castrañares, don't take a right at the main cross street but go straight on. Once you get to the river, turn right and follow it all the way into town.
Follow Brierley's instructions to the letter and you'll be right. It's really easy, if you are paying attention. ;)

Screenshot attached, directions from the end of the airport to the river, from my OsmAnd app.
View attachment 80183
You are absolutely correct. I have watched, and redirected, several pilgrims who made it to Castanares, and then turned right to follow the asphalt road, instead of crossing it to head for the river...

€149,-
I got lucky. I knew about the river route, but it was not obvious (to me) how to access it. I stayed at the Hotel Versus in Castañares, and as busy as they were on Mother's Day, a nice lady at the front desk drew a sketch for me, and pointed out the direction I should take in the morning. She assured me it was easy to find. I followed her advice, but as you will see from the photo, I really had to believe I was on the right track. Sure enough, and with a sigh of relief, I found it. And the sign with the viper at about the same time.IMG_2711.jpg

I remember from a few years ago a previous thread on the Burgos river route with illustrations. Found it here. Scroll to the bottom and click the link for detailed turn by turn photos.

So, I am very meticulous and an extremely visual person. I made this PDF for my friend and I illustrating the walk from Orbaneja Riopico, through Castañares, and into Burgos along the river. This is an alternate to the industrial route. This was made in part to the directions provided by @annakappa on her thread: Alternate route into Burgos and Clarely's blog post How to enter Burgos. I hope it helps people who do better with pictures than words like me! The PDF includes street view of the walk, as well as top-view images when the former wasn't available.

I wanted to upload the PDF directly, but no matter how small I compressed it, the file was too big. Here's a link where hopefully you can download it yourself easily! It's about 15 mb according to my computer.

Edit: Link removed due to browser warning

Last edited:
I remember from a few years ago a previous thread on the Burgos river route with illustrations. Found it here. Scroll to the bottom and click the link for detailed turn by turn photos.
I found that place a few days ago. When I try to click on the link, I get a STRONG warning from my browser (Chrome) about not entering it, as it is considered malign and dangerous. So I advice to avoid it. (That's why I created a new map, see my previous post above).

€149,-
Alex, thanks for attaching a map. My wife and I walked the industrial route our first camino, then the river route our second camino. It was much more scenic and relaxing. Last year we were planning to hike the river route again. There was lots of road construction and we missed the turnoff, so hiked the industrial route again. I've printed out your map and will bring it with me so we can hike the river route in 2021. Gracias! Bob

I found that place a few days ago. When I try to click on the link, I get a STRONG warning from my browser (Chrome) about not entering it, as it is considered malign and dangerous. So I advice to avoid it. (That's why I created a new map, see my previous post above).
Alex, did Chrome say why that area is considered malign and dangerous?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Alex
Just saw your earlier post. The link in question opens a pdf of pictures. I opened in Chrome on my mobile and didn't receive any warnings but I haven't tried downloading. I'll open on the desktop tomorrow and see if that gives a different result.

Hi Alex
Just saw your earlier post. The link in question opens a pdf of pictures. I opened in Chrome on my mobile and didn't receive any warnings but I haven't tried downloading. I'll open on the desktop tomorrow and see if that gives a different result.
I had a copy of this series of pictures for my last walk into Burgos and I found it very useful, showing exactly where to go on a fairly complex route. I don't know where it went, but I can no longer find it on my iphone or in the Bookmarks, so I tried to open it using the link above. There was no warning, but it did not open. Instead, a weird competition for money prizes was on my screen. I managed to close this and hope that it is not lurking on Chrome. I hope that I can find some other visual directions to walk me through the path on the river route.
I read on the forum some time ago that the left turn after the highway crossing is now marked, but I have not seen that to be so.

I was walking with a very very fast female walker whom i met before Burgos,i was exhausted keeping up with her but she found the river walk flawlessly using an app on her phone without slowing down but she past the municiple in Burgos and I spotted it.Thankfully she wasnt going any further as I would have been dead trying to keep up with her😄

I love the river route too as it is definitely so much better than the freeway from Villafria (though that first cafe on the left is fab).
I like to take a very short detour and visit the amazing Cartuja de Miraflores, which is really very easy to get to with a gps / phone and close to the river route track. It is such an amazing place to visit.

I had a copy of this series of pictures for my last walk ...... I hope that I can find some other visual directions to walk me through the path on the river route.
I read on the forum some time ago that the left turn after the highway crossing is now marked, but I have not seen that to be so.
Use the street view mode on Google maps and you will get all the visual clues that you need.

Rather unhelpfully, at the turn off after the motorway overbridge there is a yellow arrow painted on the road that directs you down the traditional route and just past the turn off there is a Camino sign that also directs you along the traditional route.

However if you spot the long set of white flats (housing units) on the left and take the turn off then just 10 or 20 metres further on there is the word Camino painted on the road in white paint.

From the looks of the number of pilgrims that the Google Street View car passed as it drove this alternate route, it is VERY popular and with luck you will soon spot another pilgrim along the route.

If you like, use this link to put you at the turnoff: https://maps.app.goo.gl/FH58sqTzPx4eEH6C9

Notice the row of rubbish (trash) bins AND (I just noticed) there is a small yellow sign painted on the road that shows both routes.

Make sure you take the river route.
When you get into Castrañares ...

I knew about the river route in October 2017. That morning I left from San Juan and headed to the N120 and followed that. It was a hot day and the cantina at Ibeas de Juarros (for morning tea, of course) and under the AP1 flyover provided the only shade. From my direction of arrival (from the east) there was no visibly signage.

And the discussion above has prompted me to see what signage there is from the airport (the north). The screen capture form Street View attached might help me make my point.
Screenshot (269).png
This was the best close up showing three arrows. The airport is about 1 km away behind the camera.

If you have come down the right hand (west side) of this street (Calle Villafria) you will be excused for taking the right pointing arrow on the metal bollard closest to the crossing. When you get to the traffic lights about 20 metres to the right (not in view) there is no signage obvious in Street View pointing either take the crossing over N120 / Carre Logrono or proceed ahead to Burgos. And nothing on the south side either.

If you have come down the left side of Calle Villafria you will most probably see the left pointing arrow on the green lamppost. That leads to another crossing over N120 / Calle Logrono, but no more visible signage as to what to do.

Either way one would have to be really eagle-eyed to see the third yellow arrow on the lamppost of the street opposite (Calle Obidus) just to the left of the green garage door.

When I arrived at the intersection, tablet with OSMAnd open and chewing through battery, I noticed a small group diagonally opposite. I hailed them but they seemed quite disinterested in having a conversation.

Perhaps we could club together and offer the next clean-up team some yellow paint and brushes ...

Screenshot (269).png

This conversation has become very amusing and brings back great memories for me from 2017.

Please don't judge me too harshly for this - If you choose to go the official route into Burgos around the airport and through the industrial area, you pass a McDonalds!!!!!! Egg McMuffin and coffee, mmmmmm! 🙂

GNS - I hope you continue to enjoy your walk - and keep posting. Through your reports, I feel like I am living once again. 👍

Viewing seemed ok but, as you noted, clicking brings up a warning. I have edited the post to remove the link. My thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love the river route too as it is definitely so much better than the freeway from Villafria (though that first cafe on the left is fab).
I like to take a very short detour and visit the amazing Cartuja de Miraflores, which is really very easy to get to with a gps / phone and close to the river route track. It is such an amazing place to visit.
I loved the Cartuja de Miraflores .... was worth the visit

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please don't judge me too harshly for this - If you choose to go the official route into Burgos around the airport and through the industrial area, you pass a McDonalds!!!!!! Egg McMuffin and coffee, mmmmmm! 🙂

I did the same in Lisbon. I yearned for a BIG mug of coffee, not one of those tiny cups with two sips and it’s gone, which are great when you need a “hit”, but not something you can cradle your hands around and pass the time of day with, so as I was walking past a McDonalds . . . . :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.