• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burst my camino bubble.

camster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2023
Let me explain. I've been planning the walk for three years, having bouts of super excitement and bouts of not thinking about it as much. The thing is whenever I feel excited again about planning and going, I have your wonderful pictures and stories come to mind. I am aware of the not so good days, the blisters, the full albergues, but I wonder if I'm painting myself a just picture of the journey ahead, even though you can't really foresee it to begin with.
So, I'm asking for your not so fun stories, to better help me grasp the grandeur of the journey lying in front of me. Pictures are also welcome...
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
True. No matter how much we try we always have some kind of picture in our heads. Perhaps I should say - expect the unexpected. It helps when stuff crops up - oh, I say to myself, here I am again, in the middle of something unplanned, unanticipated, unknown. It is comforting.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All sorts of grim stories out there. Stay on the forum for a few days or weeks and they will appear as if by magic :) Not sure how helpful they will be though. I do wonder why you have been planning for three years but haven't walked so far. Why not just try it yourself and see?

And back to the original question (in no particular ranking):

• sore knees
  • sunburn
  • blisters
  • bedbugs
  • snorers
  • early risers
  • no vegemite
  • wonky mattresses
  • hard concrete paths
  • mud, mud, mud
  • cow poo
  • smelly silage
  • crabby shopkeepers
I could go on. All terrible. Which is why I've been back 11 times.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
when I went on the Camino I had no expectation, I was not looking for some type of revelation or miracle. The Camino is just a place, amazing and beautiful, but just a place. Having said that, I find incredibly convenient to go on a trail that has a great infrastructure in place to make it easy for us to walk from A to B. Visiting so many of the small towns which appear to have not changed for centuries, they transport you to a different time. For that reason I found it easy to disconnect and enjoy where I was. How often you go to a restaurant, a plaza or rest area in the Albergue and talked to people you never met before for hours. Whichever way we look at this adventure, we have to admit that a place that is able to attract so many for so long must have major Mojo...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our minds are wonderful. When I reflect back to my first camino (780 miles including the Francés) I remember all the positive and rewarding experiences. If I try a little harder I recall times that I let myself down which, I hope, helped me grow as a person in some small manner. When I read my journal I recall mental and physical challenges that seemed almost insurmountable at the time but my mind has chosen to lock those away unless I dig real deep. Walking the Camino is a challenge on so many different levels (mental, spiritual, and physical to name a few) and in some manner each of us choose to remember certain aspects sometimes with a common theme. I myself remember the people and the experiences the most. I can remember towns, cities, trails and albergues quite well but have to resort to my notes and photos to put them in the proper location and recall their names. Others remember the mental/physical challenges, or the food, the landscape, the weather, etc. I am happy to share the difficult times and mental/physical/spiritual challenges in person with most anyone but I am just not able to do that on a public forum. Other people may be better at this.

Buen Camino!

All the physical privations are fine. What annoys me is rude people who try take charge of you. Eg I've been told off for buying bottled water, had pig noises made at me when I snored once, and been told there were no beds in an albergue when there were. Always by older males in my experience. I used to be quite saintly and let it go, but this last camino I told a couple of them to f*** off to their faces.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think a problem many people encounter is that they romanticize what the camino is going to be like beforehand. After all, it's "just walking". Once out there, the realization that it's really hard hits them in the face and I've seen many quit. There's a lot of pain from your head to your toes, hot or rainy weather to deal with, frustrations from not being able to clearly communicate or stress about whether you'll be able to find a bed. But in the end, the people you meet, the scenery you pass and the sense of accomplishment you feel make it all worthwhile .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There will be days (more than two) where you will cry out "what the h-e-double hockey sticks" am I doing here? I could be home on my couch/sofa/chesterfield reading my book/IPad/newspaper will no sore knees/hips/ankles? Have I lost my bloody mind? But then something really nice will happen, like someone finding your lost hat or getting a lovely pilgrim blessing which touches your soul or you will come up over a rise and there is someone serving ginger tea which is so refreshing......and you will get over it!! Buen Camino!!

True. No matter how much we try we always have some kind of picture in our heads. Perhaps I should say - expect the unexpected. It helps when stuff crops up - oh, I say to myself, here I am again, in the middle of something unplanned, unanticipated, unknown. It is comforting.
lol ok, I will try that approach.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A day of rain in the early days will take care of any illusions, let alone day after day of rain. :eek:

That or developping plantar fasciitis or tearing a miniscus a third into your journey.
Eh, the rain... I know, I'm hopeful I'll have a rain-free camino like I've heard other people experience. lol. Wishful thinking I know. I will have a poncho in case ;)
When you say 'day after the rain' you imply wet clothes from the day before, mud, wet shoes? :/ eh ok, now you got me thinking too much haha.

I think a problem many people encounter is that they romanticize what the camino is going to be like beforehand. After all, it's "just walking". Once out there, the realization that it's really hard hits them in the face and I've seen many quit. There's a lot of pain from your head to your toes, hot or rainy weather to deal with, frustrations from not being able to clearly communicate or stress about whether you'll be able to find a bed. But in the end, the people you meet, the scenery you pass and the sense of accomplishment you feel make it all worthwhile .
Yes, you are very right. I think you translated what I have been thinking about for a while. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. When I go on walks and I'm sore when I arrive home, I keep thinking about how on the camino I'd have to walk again to buy food, getting around town, full albergues, fitting in time to wind down, laundry, making supper, etc. Amidst the pain all over your body. It seems to me like a never ending cycle of rinse-repeat everyday. :eek: I have a lot of respect for people who have walked the way already. Practice walks have been an eye opener for me.
Thanks for reassuring me that the people you encounter and scenery truly make it worthwhile. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Often times this summer as we were walking, I would think of this forum and everything I had posted about my previous Camino experience - the nostalgic posts remembering all of the good parts and none of the challenges. I snapped photos of difficult moments this time around to remind myself that it is very challenging and folks should be prepared for those difficulties.

I was thinking specifically about a woman who wanted to bring her blind friend on the Camino and had asked forum members for advice. I thought about her question for 20 kilometers down the rocky hill from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca. No way! I thought as I slowly maneuvered my way along the uneven path with fully functioning eyesight.

Sitting next to the river in Molinaseca, I decided I would respond to the woman's question and advise her against it and just then (which is a very odd coincidence), a blind woman with a white cane with a tennis ball stuck on its red tip came walking across the bridge with her backpack on. I don't know how she made it down that hill - she seemed to be walking alone. We saw her several times after Molinaseca and in Santiago which just goes to show how little I know about what is challenging and difficult for anyone other than myself.

Nonetheless, as per your request I made you (the OP) a bubble bursting photo collage from both of our journeys along the Camino. :) Just to be clear, my collage is intended to be humorous. We loved every moment, especially the challenging ones, and happily, I have 10,000 (literally) more photos of less challenging moments along the way!Bubble Bursts.JPG

Let me explain. I've been planning the walk for three years, having bouts of super excitement and bouts of not thinking about it as much. The thing is whenever I feel excited again about planning and going, I have your wonderful pictures and stories come to mind. I am aware of the not so good days, the blisters, the full albergues, but I wonder if I'm painting myself a just picture of the journey ahead, even though you can't really foresee it to begin with.
So, I'm asking for your not so fun stories, to better help me grasp the grandeur of the journey lying in front of me. Pictures are also welcome...
Thank you!
The hardest walking comes 5 km before your daily destination but the shower that comes after is soooo nice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
- there is nothing to burst: you will rise the next morning in spite of stiff legs, you will rejoice the breakfast that you have saved or will have to buy, you will pack up ´n go as if you have done nothing else all your life, and the "what am I doing here" will come after 6 to seven days...
Then you can take a break if you so desire, but chances are you will keep b*****ing on like the rest of us !!!

• sore knees
  • sunburn
  • blisters
  • bedbugs
  • snorers
  • early risers
  • no vegemite
  • wonky mattresses
  • hard concrete paths
  • mud, mud, mud
  • cow poo
  • smelly silage
  • crabby shopkeepers
Hey...I'd nearly forgotten about all those things! I "was" going to say my experiences were all "rose colored glasses", but in truth I've experienced at least half of your list. :confused:

When you say 'day after the rain' you imply wet clothes from the day before, mud, wet shoes? :/ eh ok, now you got me thinking too much haha.
I was lucky my accuponcturist had recommended rain pants, so I was not soaked from the rain, but my Merino sweater was wet from sweat which was no fun. Also a lot less laudrying done as clothes would not dry over nigjt inless the albergue had a drier. And I wear Gortex shoes, mostly, so no wet shoes, but many did have newspaper in theor boots to help them dry.

And coooold nights, even with all my clothes on and albergue blankets since at the time I only walked with a liner and thin poly something blanket. Had too buy a heavy and uncomfortable mummy sleepback when I finally reached Burgos. Cold nights make for little sleep and tough walking days.

May 2013: the coldest month of May. on record in Spain. How Iever felt the need to ever walk again, I have no idea. But I now walk with a quilt and also a handsfree umbrella. :cool:

but the shower that comes after is soooo nice

Hmm . . . depends. If you are in a freezing cold albergue, with no chance of heating, and only two thin blankets between the three of you . . . . and you have the choice between taking off all your clothes in the grim ablutions . . . . or walking to a warm, cozy bar half a km away . . . . not so sure about the shower . . . .

Yes, you are very right. I think you translated what I have been thinking about for a while. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. When I go on walks and I'm sore when I arrive home, I keep thinking about how on the camino I'd have to walk again to buy food, getting around town, full albergues, fitting in time to wind down, laundry, making supper, etc. Amidst the pain all over your body. It seems to me like a never ending cycle of rinse-repeat everyday. :eek: I have a lot of respect for people who have walked the way already. Practice walks have been an eye opener for me.
Thanks for reassuring me that the people you encounter and scenery truly make it worthwhile. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.
I really disliked my training walks...boring and repeating the yoyo walking cycle over and over near home. :eek:

BUT I love the Camino...It's an adventurous "one way ticket" so to speak, each day new and different, aches, pains and all! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Expect the unexpected. Much funnier that way. Besides - each persons experience is an individual experience and highly subjective. Now having said that - my not so funny experiences I quickly turned into something funny.
Are you talking about the Camino, or vegemite?

Good one lol - but I am talking about the camino. The one time I tasted vegemite I almost threw up in my mouth.
Ok, sticking to the original thread, if vegemite is the worst you experience on the way you are doing well. I suspect waiting over 3 years is going to be your biggest problem, life is too short to p@$$ about, if you want to go stop planning and step outside your door be on your way.

Sorry for taking part in diverting this thread, the folks in the north are going pick up on this V-debate tomorrow and wonder what us mad antipodeans have been going on about.

Last edited:
This is getting way off track. I'll burst a few more of your bubbles:

People who get up at 4.30am and wake you when it's not even hot and there's no bed shortage. People who repeatedly and obsessively rearrange all their pointless stuff and rustle their elaborate plastic bag 'packing system'. People who show you their stupid gadgets, tools, knives, and apps to make themselves feel super important and expert. Big groups that take over a place and exclude people, yet are convinced they are very sociable. People who get frantic because there aren't enough sockets to charge their multifarious (pointless) devices. People who poke and pick at their feet in the kitchen. People who moan about 'The Spanish' being loud. People who wear pretentious cosplay approximations of medieval garb. People who are on some kind of a hair shirt ticket. People who feel the need to monitor every step, emotion and bodily function with an app and then blog it to an indifferent world. People who sew their feet and go on about wool.

All the rain, wind, mud and cowshit in the world isn't as annoying as these people.

Last edited:
Often times this summer as we were walking, I would think of this forum and everything I had posted about my previous Camino experience - the nostalgic posts remembering all of the good parts and none of the challenges. I snapped photos of difficult moments this time around to remind myself that it is very challenging and folks should be prepared for those difficulties. [...]
LOL at the 'Road Blocks' in the picture! Thank you for responding -- and with the bonus pictures :)
What a neat story you told about the blind woman you saw. It's amazing I guess how much you can learn about yourself on the camino, about your own strengths when you face these difficulties that I was asking people to share. I was watching a movie yesterday (6 ways to santiago) and in the movie, very briefly, you see blind people with canes. How awesome and courageous.

Ok, sticking to the original thread, if vegemite is the worst you experience on the way you are doing well. I suspect waiting over 3 years is going to be your biggest problem, life is too short to p@$$ about, if you want to go stop planning and step outside your door be on your way.

Sorry for taking part in diverting this tread, the folks in the north are going pick up on this V-debate tomorrow and wonder what us mad antipodeans have been going on about.
Haha from what I read here, I will not be taking my chances with vegemite!
Yes, I know I should have gone by now, but life had other plans. I cannot wait. Finally found a pair of shoes for my narrow feet after... three years of trying everything on the shelves! But aside from that it's mostly time away from work that is the main issue.
Thank you for your input! :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Seriously, I'll ask for the second time...what is a vegemite? I appreciate all the humorous responses, but no one has answered my question and now I'm really curious! In the U.S. we have a kitchen gadget which is a chopper called a "vegematic". It slices and dices veggies. And we have vegetarian shakes that are a blended mix, usually of spinach, kale and other healthy ingredients...kind of yucky.:p Kanga, are either of these things called a vegemite in Australia? Just askin.:)

It is yeast extract that you spread on toast.
Wow, I never would have thought that! Can't even imagine what it looks like, let alone tastes like...No wonder Anemone said "stick to peanut butter and jelly"!

I guess I caused this thread to get way off topic. Sorry. I should have started a new thread titled "What's vegemite?" :rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Vegemite is a very salty sticky spread made mainly of yeast extract. Very popular in Australia. We Brits have something called Marmite which has much the same ingredients but rather different flavour and texture. There is an advertising campaign for Marmite based on the idea that there is no middle ground - you either love it or hate it! Fans of Marmite tend to be rude about Vegemite - and vice versa. If that means being rude about the Aussies while doing so then it's win-win :)

Preparing for the worst does not make it more bearable. Thinking of all that could go wrong does not make it easier to bear. Understanding that everyone's experience is different based on expectations, pain tolerances, equipment, attitude, patience, tolerance, weather (which in the same location can be quite different than at another time, or INTERPRETED differently than another person) , who else in on the WAY to change the dynamics- all creates a totally different Camino for people leaving at the same time on the same day

My best suggestion? Go with an open mind and the optimism to make the best of it. If you are prepared to flex and breathe, accept, the experience can be rewarding enriching and wonderful
just MHO
nanc

Vegemite is a very salty sticky spread made mainly of yeast extract. Very popular in Australia. We Brits have something called Marmite which has much the same ingredients but rather different flavour and texture. There is an advertising campaign for Marmite based on the idea that there is no middle ground - you either love it or hate it! Fans of Marmite tend to be rude about Vegemite - and vice versa. If that means being rude about the Aussies while doing so then it's win-win :)
Thanks for all the details. It was "Greek to me." Also, when Anemone posted the word Marmite, I thought it was a typo for the mountain critter, marmot. Now that really had me confused!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Preparing for the worst does not make it more bearable. Thinking of all that could go wrong does not make it easier to bear. Understanding that everyone's experience is different based on expectations, pain tolerances, equipment, attitude, patience, tolerance, weather (which in the same location can be quite different than at another time, or INTERPRETED differently than another person) , who else in on the WAY to change the dynamics- all creates a totally different Camino for people leaving at the same time on the same day

My best suggestion? Go with an open mind and the optimism to make the best of it. If you are prepared to flex and breathe, accept, the experience can be rewarding enriching and wonderful
just MHO
nanc
Thank you for the wise words. I want to go with an open mind, indeed. Reading about others' experiences, I guess, gives me things to imagine and feed off of, too, in the mean time. :) but I will remember what you guys have told me when I face harder moments.

You hop up and walk sometimes up sometimes down, sometimes wet, sometimes dry, you book in shower wash eat drink sleep and do it every day...... that's the hardest part every day on a body that get sore.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Haha from what I read here, I will not be taking my chances with vegemite!
Yes, I know I should have gone by now, but life had other plans. I cannot wait. Finally found a pair of shoes for my narrow feet after... three years of trying everything on the shelves! But aside from that it's mostly time away from work that is the main issue.
Thank you for your input! :)
What route are you planning on going?
I sympathise over the shoe thing, my feet are wide and large, they stop making female shoes at least 3 sizes down from my clod hoppers, not to worry men's shoes just as good for the Camino... And a friend put me onto Kinky Boots for my high heels... A completely different take on tramping, they make extra large sizes of women's shoes for cross dressers.

I sympathise over the shoe thing, my feet are wide and large, they stop making female shoes at least 3 sizes down from my clod hoppers, not to worry men's shoes just as good for the Camino... And a friend put me onto Kinky Boots for my high heels... A completely different take on tramping, they make extra large sizes of women's shoes for cross dressers.
Addis make E4 and wider runners with big cushion soles simply Brilliant zero blisters

The number of bad experiences and times you're annoyed depends less on what happens around you than your own attitude.

It's your choice whether you want your Camino to be full of moments where you're in a bad mood or full of potentially good or at least funny memories.

Things you can change, change to the better if you can, or at least try. Things you can't change, learn to accept them as they are instead of getting annoyed or angry, sometimes you'll even learn to love them or at least laugh about them.

About annoying people: More tolerance and less judgement does the trick. Everybody is annoying to someone, at least sometimes. Keep in mind we're all from different upbringings and cultural backgrounds. There's a difference between someone being truly rude and respectless, and someone annoying you simply because they're from a very different background with a very different set of social rules, or because maybe it's just that their personality is very different from yours. That doesn't make them an annoying or bad person in general. You might think of yourself as polite and nice, but there is most likely a person out there whose unwritten rules and boundaries you overstep without knowing. For example, never thought that my beloved coat could potentially annoy someone because it's considered a "pretentious cosplay approximation of medieval garb" :eek: :D. You learn something new every day!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you!
I tell people that you don't walk the Camino for the food or the sleep. The sleeping was especially tough for me. I slept mainly in albergues. It took me awhile to get used to sleeping on bunk beds in a big room. As far as the food, it just wasn't that great. Once in awhile you'd get lucky and have a wonderful communal dinner, but most of the restaurant meals were forgettable at best.

Despite those two areas, I plan to walk the Camino again. The walking and the people and the countryside made up for the downsides.

People who get up at 4.30am and wake you when it's not even hot and there's no bed shortage. People who repeatedly and obsessively rearrange all their pointless stuff and rustle their elaborate plastic bag 'packing system'. People who show you their stupid gadgets, tools, knives, and apps to make themselves feel super important and expert. Big groups that take over a place and exclude people, yet are convinced they are very sociable. People who get frantic because there aren't enough sockets to charge their multifarious (pointless) devices. People who poke and pick at their feet in the kitchen. People who moan about 'The Spanish' being loud. People who wear pretentious cosplay approximations of medieval garb. People who are on some kind of a hair shirt ticket. People who feel the need to monitor every step, emotion and bodily function with an app and then blog it to an indifferent world. People who sew their feet and go on about wool.

All the rain, wind, mud and cowshit in the world isn't as annoying as these people.
Duly noted! Some cringe in there w/ the feet picking in the kitchen... :eek: I guess it's to be expected. Thanks for sharing!

omg crossdressers shoes lol! at least you have options lol. I'm planning on walking the Frances, although a few other routes seem very beautiful, like the norte and vdlp.

The number of bad experiences and times you're annoyed depends less on what happens around you than your own attitude.

It's your choice whether you want your Camino to be full of moments where you're in a bad mood or full of potentially good or at least funny memories.

Things you can change, change to the better if you can, or at least try. Things you can't change, learn to accept them as they are instead of getting annoyed or angry, sometimes you'll even learn to love them or at least laugh about them.

About annoying people: More tolerance and less judgement does the trick. Everybody is annoying to someone, at least sometimes. Keep in mind we're all from different upbringings and cultural backgrounds. There's a difference between someone being truly rude and respectless, and someone annoying you simply because they're from a very different background with a very different set of social rules, or because maybe it's just that their personality is very different from yours. That doesn't make them an annoying or bad person in general. You might think of yourself as polite and nice, but there is most likely a person out there whose unwritten rules and boundaries you overstep without knowing. For example, never thought that my beloved coat could potentially annoy someone because it's considered a "pretentious cosplay approximation of medieval garb" :eek: :D. You learn something new every day!
lol I'll make sure to have a regular coat.
But seriously, what you say is true: attitude makes for a big part. I work with the public and love it, so the 'people' aspect doesn't scare me much, it's actually a plus. I can't wait to meet people and chat about stuff with them. I understand that after a long day of walking and soreness, patience levels would be different and people might irritate me more, but I think that's part of the challenge and makes the camino experience what it is, too.

I tell people that you don't walk the Camino for the food or the sleep. The sleeping was especially tough for me. I slept mainly in albergues. It took me awhile to get used to sleeping on bunk beds in a big room. As far as the food, it just wasn't that great. Once in awhile you'd get lucky and have a wonderful communal dinner, but most of the restaurant meals were forgettable at best.

Despite those two areas, I plan to walk the Camino again. The walking and the people and the countryside made up for the downsides.
Oh yes, I have heard about the food! Thanks for reminding me ;)
Sleep also is a concern of mine. I guess the first few nights are the hardest? That's something I wonder about often, beds, is my sleeping bag going to be comfortable for a whole month on the camino, snorers, am I going to forget which bunk I'm sleeping in and fall on my face getting up in the middle of night bc I forgot I was on the top bunk that night.. lol- all that stuff... :eek:

I too disapprove of the above said, except for the wool...
mind yer woolies and don´t get cold...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My pet hate on the Camino paths - pilgrims (often youngsters) who have tinny music coming out from a device, a phone, iPod anything portable etc. Sometimes sharing this with a friend and not using earphones. Grrr!
I usually let them go well ahead and out of my earshot.

I must say that for me, even the blandest pilgrim lunches are wonderful. There is no better sauce than having walked 16 km first, and knowing that what I'm eating will give me the strength to walk another 12 before I stop for the day...

For me, the hardest has been knee pain on sharp descents. Everything else is just fine compared to that. Hence, I walk the flattest caminos I can find.

I'm not convinced that it helps to know too much. Go without expectations!
I think Kanga's advice is good. All kinds of experiences are possible. I tried to just take one day at a time. Some things were not so pleasant, like the way you can feel a bit processed by staff providing services who seem to have seen one pilgrim too many. However, I hadn't anticipated how beautiful a good deal of the landscape is and it was fabulously rewarding.

Hear, hear!

I was lucky my accuponcturist had recommended rain pants, so I was not soaked from the rain, but my Merino sweater was wet from sweat which was no fun. Also a lot less laudrying done as clothes would not dry over nigjt inless the albergue had a drier. And I wear Gortex shoes, mostly, so no wet shoes, but many did have newspaper in theor boots to help them dry.

And coooold nights, even with all my clothes on and albergue blankets since at the time I only walked with a liner and thin poly something blanket. Had too buy a heavy and uncomfortable mummy sleepback when I finally reached Burgos. Cold nights make for little sleep and tough walking days.

May 2013: the coldest month of May. on record in Spain. How Iever felt the need to ever walk again, I have no idea. But I now walk with a quilt and also a handsfree umbrella. :cool:
I remember that May: cold with some hail and snow to give variety. It was the mud that irked me most though. However, through dumb luck 2013 was the year I chose to take a sleeping bag, instead of a silk liner!

• sore knees
  • sunburn
  • blisters
  • bedbugs
  • snorers
  • early risers
  • no vegemite
  • wonky mattresses
  • hard concrete paths
  • mud, mud, mud
  • cow poo
  • smelly silage
  • crabby shopkeepers
And the downsides are...???

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you!

I set off on my first ever Camino on 30th August along with my husband who has previously cycled The Camino de Santiago 7 years ago. The weekend before I go I'm shaving my hair to raise money for cancer research (which will also mean less toiletries). I've not done a lot of training walks recently but I'm fit and train everyday. I've climbed a lot of munros in Scotland and Peaks in the Peak District (in all weathers and moods) so I'm hoping the physical aspect I'll manage okay. I've not even thought about how the Camino will affect me emotionally and intend to take a relaxed, non rushed, take each day as it comes approach. One challenge for me will be the red wine . I'm not a red wine drinker whereas my husband is and he's particularly looking forward walking through the Rioja Valley ....... I bet we take a day or 2 of not walking . It's will be a big adventure that for sure I know.

Look to France - Chemin St. Jacque - lovely gites along the way - marvelous communal dinners - generally comfortable beds (bunk or not) in generally uncrowded dorms.

Thank you!
Try not to overthink this experience. No one can predict what is going to happen and that is why we do it. Be as prepared as possible and take it from there

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did fall into the expectations hole, but my Camino exceeded them all. I had really no complaints other than minor irritations that daily life can give us.

I do have a friend who, on her first Camino, experienced 23 straight days of rain. Much of it hard rain.

And she has returned to do many Caminos. I'm not sure I would have weathered that (pun intended) as well as she did, but there you go...

Blessings, Priscilla

Winter camino 2014 mine: mud, mud, sprained ankle, prayed for no more mud, hitched rides from strangers due to ankle, got well in Ponferrada, walked in more mud, too hot second day to Fisterra wanted mud. Can not wait to walk again, but maybe not another winter, no more mud!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The challenges are part of the journey on the Camino.

My first time on the Camino, I realized very early (on my first day) that the Camino isn't a leisurely stroll down a nicely paved and flat sidewalk:) It's not easy and the best advice I can give someone, is to listen to your body and don't push yourself beyond what is safe, especially when you are in a hot environment.

For me the good out weighed the bad, and it wasn't even close. I'm heading back for my 3rd Camino next month:)

Good luck, you'll have a great time.

This may be a little off topic, but personally I don’t understand that people do not want to have expectations. I like to have expectations! They are a precious part of my travel preparations.

And sure, when reality hits me, those expectations are not always met, but then something else happens, that could be even better than expected.

I will hold on to my expectations – I like them :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino, like life, will fulfill, destroy, challenge, fail and exceed all your expectations and then some I imagine and just like life it is impossible to predict in which way or when.

My first Camino happened with very little knowledge of the Camino and I really did turn up in St Jean more than a little bewildered and wondering what on earth I was doing. I am happy to admit that my first few days were tempered with fear and anxiety as I struggled to find my place in such an alien, to me, environment. But a few days into my journey I realized it was nothing that I expected and so much more than i could ever have hoped for.

The Camino really is a personal journey just as much as it can be a socially interactive journey and because it is personal it is impossible to know how you will react and feel. But just go with an open mind and heart. There might be days when it is the most amazing thing you have ever done or days when it has become tedious monotony. Just live and enjoy the possibilities it provides.

Oh, and for me, even the awful things had their silver linings. Adversity can produce surprising beauty in humankind. The alchemy of the Camino perhaps.

Go, with expectations and without! Buen Camino!

But @camster is asking about the disadvantages of walking the Camino. Keeping half the globe between me and that gunk is one of the best reasons I could think of for staying here on the right side up.
Ooooo can't let this one slide. Oh Vegemite, how I love thee. LEt me count the ways! truly one of the greatest gifts of life. YEs , you can thank us Aussies later:D:D:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why would you put that picture in my head.... Better to go to the Farmacia. :)

Because it helps to prevent blisters in hot weather. Absorbs perspiration, provides extra soft padding.

But it's a secret. Don't tell anyone.

I am told that Marmite predates Vegemite, and that in the planing for the commercial release of Vegemite, various names were tossed about before Vegemite was settled upon. One of the names considers was Parwill - with the advertising to be based on the line "if Parwill (Pa will), then Marmite (Ma might)" - thank goodness we avoided that one!

the de-mystifying fact of the Camino is that at times you are too preoccupied dealing with your physical reality in every variety & colour; how your feet are, how your back´s needing a bit of attention, when is the next stop at at proper watering hole, where fluids intro versus the exit trading can take place. Consulting map and guide book.
The rest is dialogue with yourself, singing, humming, cursing the justice of the universe -and then in a flash you get the happy feeling, the pangs of pure joy, because everything has been through your head all morning and the silly littlelest thing can spark your purest pleasure; a view, seeing an old frend again from last time, missing your spouse etc.
I have no time to enjoy the larger scheme of things, I am busy existing...
even as it´s been said, the arrival into Santiago can be a downer - what´s next ?

I felt like that for some time until I was able to formulate to some friends:
I did it all on my own, but together with you !
And that´s makes me happy whenever I think of the Camino and why I ´ll come back !

Ooooo can't let this one slide. Oh Vegemite, how I love thee. LEt me count the ways! truly one of the greatest gifts of life. YEs , you can thank us Aussies later:D:D:D
The alternative view being that, as Vegemite is made from the spent yeast from brewing of beer, the only thing that Vegemite gives us is more beer.... Vegemite is reputedly over 8% salt, which might explain why that jar at the back of the pantry never, ever, goes mouldy ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did fall into the expectations hole, but my Camino exceeded them all. I had really no complaints other than minor irritations that daily life can give us.

I do have a friend who, on her first Camino, experienced 23 straight days of rain. Much of it hard rain.

And she has returned to do many Caminos. I'm not sure I would have weathered that (pun intended) as well as she did, but there you go...

Blessings, Priscilla
Wow wow wow :eek: 23 days! holy cow!
I was going to say I wouldn't have enjoyed that, but then again, what if I had? Maybe at some point it gets so ridiculous that you fall into that rythm and, like people have been saying, you deal with it!
But thank you for letting me know it can rain THAT much!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino, like life, will fulfill, destroy, challenge, fail and exceed all your expectations and then some I imagine and just like life it is impossible to predict in which way or when.

My first Camino happened with very little knowledge of the Camino and I really did turn up in St Jean more than a little bewildered and wondering what on earth I was doing. I am happy to admit that my first few days were tempered with fear and anxiety as I struggled to find my place in such an alien, to me, environment. But a few days into my journey I realized it was nothing that I expected and so much more than i could ever have hoped for.

The Camino really is a personal journey just as much as it can be a socially interactive journey and because it is personal it is impossible to know how you will react and feel. But just go with an open mind and heart. There might be days when it is the most amazing thing you have ever done or days when it has become tedious monotony. Just live and enjoy the possibilities it provides.

Oh, and for me, even the awful things had their silver linings. Adversity can produce surprising beauty in humankind. The alchemy of the Camino perhaps.

Go, with expectations and without! Buen Camino!
Thank you for sharing. Love the expression 'the alchemy of the Camino' ! :)

Your Camino will be what you expect it to be. If your focus is on the possible negatives, you will probably experience that. If instead your focus is on the positives, that will probably be your experience. Some will tell you they would never do it again. The majority of those I know that have done the Camino(s) would do it again today if they could. You may get a blister, you may experience snorers, you may experience crude or insensitive Pilgrims. Welcome to the Camino. You will also experience glorious sunrises, you will meet extraordinary people from around the world, you will fall asleep from true fatigue and you will get up the next day, with a clean slate and experience a entire new day, if you want to. The result of your Camino is up to you. Buen Camino!

Thank you!
No, no, no, I won't show you how more than 100 bedbug bites looks like!
I really don't want to :)
Same goes for my busted little toe. And my swollen knee. And sun burns. And blister here and there. No way ;)

Last edited:

• sore knees
  • sunburn
  • blisters
  • bedbugs
  • snorers
  • early risers
  • no vegemite
  • wonky mattresses
  • hard concrete paths
  • mud, mud, mud
  • cow poo
  • smelly silage
  • crabby shopkeepers
Lol...LOL...

Thank you for sharing. Love the expression 'the alchemy of the Camino' ! :)

Thank you! I think it is true about the alchemy. So often in "normal" life people in need of help or comfort are just passed by but the Camino brings out the empathy (?) and good nature in people. Somewhere on this forum I once read the Camino is God's dream of how we should live and it struck a chord with me because i have experienced huge kindness whilst walking. All the best.

So, I'm asking for your not so fun stories, ...
Discovering in Los Arcos that you left your wallet with passport, money, and credit cards in the albergue twelve kilometers back. Then calling to find out no one there speaks German, but the nice American guessed what you wanted and brought it to you by bicycle. But now the story gets fun: Another American sitting nearby on the bench said, "You forgot your passport? How un-German of you." Since she did not understand English, she just stared at him. He assumes she merely didn't get the joke: "Germans are supposed to be so organized and meticulous." She still stares at him. Before he can stick his foot in deeper, the fellow sitting next to him says (with a German accent), "Germans also don't have a sense of humor."

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back