• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burst my camino bubble.

Your Camino will be what you expect it to be. If your focus is on the possible negatives, you will probably experience that. If instead your focus is on the positives, that will probably be your experience. Some will tell you they would never do it again. The majority of those I know that have done the Camino(s) would do it again today if they could. You may get a blister, you may experience snorers, you may experience crude or insensitive Pilgrims. Welcome to the Camino. You will also experience glorious sunrises, you will meet extraordinary people from around the world, you will fall asleep from true fatigue and you will get up the next day, with a clean slate and experience a entire new day, if you want to. The result of your Camino is up to you. Buen Camino!
Very true! That's a great perspective to put the camino in :) thank you... it will help me choose the way I want to envision/see things when I'm there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Discovering in Los Arcos that you left your wallet with passport, money, and credit cards in the albergue twelve kilometers back. Then calling to find out no one there speaks German, but the nice American guessed what you wanted and brought it to you by bicycle. But now the story gets fun: Another American sitting nearby on the bench said, "You forgot your passport? How un-German of you." Since she did not understand English, she just stared at him. He assumes she merely didn't get the joke: "Germans are supposed to be so organized and meticulous." She still stares at him. Before he can stick his foot in deeper, the fellow sitting next to him says (with a German accent), "Germans also don't have a sense of humor."
LOL.. funny story. But wow, what a lucky strike that someone would bring you your things back.

LOL.. funny story. But wow, what a lucky strike that someone would bring you your things back.
Actually, I was the one who answered the phone a few minutes after finding the wallet while cleaning. And who happened to own a bike and know the route to Los Arcos. :)

LOTS of people left things without any way for us to identify the owner, but most of them not of sufficient value to justify looking. One strange one, though. Large bag left with some clothes, lots of cosmetics, a zillion Q-tips, and a copy of S. Yates' Camino book. The strange part is that the book belonged to a library in California, but the only Americans who had stayed that night were from Texas and Oklahoma.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Let me explain. I've been planning the walk for three years, having bouts of super excitement and bouts of not thinking about it as much. The thing is whenever I feel excited again about planning and going, I have your wonderful pictures and stories come to mind. I am aware of the not so good days, the blisters, the full albergues, but I wonder if I'm painting myself a just picture of the journey ahead, even though you can't really foresee it to begin with.
So, I'm asking for your not so fun stories, to better help me grasp the grandeur of the journey lying in front of me. Pictures are also welcome...
Thank you!
Let me explain. I've been planning the walk for three years, having bouts of super excitement and bouts of not thinking about it as much. The thing is whenever I feel excited again about planning and going, I have your wonderful pictures and stories come to mind. I am aware of the not so good days, the blisters, the full albergues, but I wonder if I'm painting myself a just picture of the journey ahead, even though you can't really foresee it to begin with.
So, I'm asking for your not so fun stories, to better help me grasp the grandeur of the journey lying in front of me. Pictures are also welcome...
Thank you!
Thank you for asking this question!!! I start my first Camino in 3 weeks and I'm getting anxious. The excitement of going has turned into a bit of fear not wanting to think about it anymore. I just want to get going and stop trying to anticipate every last challenge I might run into. I've had only 6 months to plan my trip and I think I've burned my excitement out by over training and over preparing. I can't imagine planning for 3 years!!! Now I just want to be on the trail and trust I will overcome or at least be able to handle whatever challenges I'm faced with. Hundreds of thousands of people have walked it, many older than my 65 years, and if they can do it so can I. I already know my Camino started the moment I answered the call to walk it. The same challenges I face in my life are the same patterns I'm facing now. I feel like I am a strong woman who can walk this 500 miles no problem and then I have a fearful, no confidence side of me that emerges to drain the strength out of me. So thank you to all who acknowledge the challenges and lived to tell us all that it's all worth it. The whole experience is worth it!!

I'm planning to do the Camino next spring from the Belgium border. No doubt it will be hard, no doubt I will suffer. I don't really worry about that. I have faith in my stubbornness. my ability to stick my middle finger up to fickle fate and an unshakeable faith in the toughness of the human body. I have the utmost confidence that I will finish what I begin. Many people have done it before in conditions much harder than those I will endure. So I say to all, have faith in yourself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Each of us approaches the Camino based upon his/her needs, and expectations and personality. All of us have some simple expectations, whether short term or longer term, as we journey! Mine include a relatively clean room at night, no bed bugs, a decent meal and clean water! These factors I can somewhat control ( though not always)by planningand choosing a time closer to the beginning of the season like February, orMarch, or April! Weather is up to nature but I prefer the cooler weather! Anticipatory planning is a skill most of us have! Once I have done the planning,I try and savor moment and breathe in the beauty of the experience. I try and take time to be as I walk! When Ifail, I try to recenter and return to the moment! If you name your expectations, plan well, some of them will likely be Fulfilled! You may be rewarded in ways you did not anticipate which is gift! Enjoy your journey!

You can read all these stories, read all the books, watch all the films and videos, ask all the questions and get all the answers and opinions and advice, but truly, the only way to find the good, the bad and the ugly about the Camino (as with anything and anywhere) is to go walk one of the many routes to Santiago yourself.
Go! Go! Go!
(I highly recommend it!)

I didn't mind the pain in my spine from the backpack on the first day, the pain in my feet and the blisters. Didn't mind the rain and the wrong fleece shirt I took that kept my back completely soaked with sweat.
The early sleepers were a logistical bother but I guess people have to sleep so I can't blame them. Good thing I can sleep through anything so I wasn't bothered by the snorers and the oxygen tank user. There were a couple of weird bathrooms/toilets that could be taken as a negative or you can just see them as a quirk of the camino.

There was one thing that put a cloud on my camino experience though, for some reason I was expecting the return from Santiago to Porto to be easy (so many pilgrims every day). Turns out there are only two trains back and the bus tickets have to be bought in advance. At both stations no one wanted to speak English, the ticket office closes at 4 or 5 o'clock (can't remember exactly). They claimed not to know when the buses go to Porto, only to Vigo which is half way. The websites were useless because one didn't load on our smartphones and the other was in Spanish. In the end, after a couple of taxi rides from the bus station to the train station and back to the bus station, we took the bus to Vigo and then a taxi to Porto. The taxi was 180 euro... which is probably the same amount we spent on the entire camino (albergue + food). We found out later a lot of pilgrims end up in a taxi like this.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't mind the pain in my spine from the backpack on the first day, the pain in my feet and the blisters. Didn't mind the rain and the wrong fleece shirt I took that kept my back completely soaked with sweat.
The early sleepers were a logistical bother but I guess people have to sleep so I can't blame them. Good thing I can sleep through anything so I wasn't bothered by the snorers and the oxygen tank user. There were a couple of weird bathrooms/toilets that could be taken as a negative or you can just see them as a quirk of the camino.

There was one thing that put a cloud on my camino experience though, for some reason I was expecting the return from Santiago to Porto to be easy (so many pilgrims every day). Turns out there are only two trains back and the bus tickets have to be bought in advance. At both stations no one wanted to speak English, the ticket office closes at 4 or 5 o'clock (can't remember exactly). They claimed not to know when the buses go to Porto, only to Vigo which is half way. The websites were useless because one didn't load on our smartphones and the other was in Spanish. In the end, after a couple of taxi rides from the bus station to the train station and back to the bus station, we took the bus to Vigo and then a taxi to Porto. The taxi was 180 euro... which is probably the same amount we spent on the entire camino (albergue + food). We found out later a lot of pilgrims end up in a taxi like this.

I've never ever had any problem buying a ticket at the bus station at the time of travel or (the one time) getting one of the (apparently) several buses to Porto, direct route.
Someone at the bus depot hadn't had his (or her) brekkie the day you were there, I guess. That's too bad.

You can read all these stories, read all the books, watch all the films and videos, ask all the questions and get all the answers and opinions and advice, but truly, the only way to find the good, the bad and the ugly about the Camino (as with anything and anywhere) is to go walk one of the many routes to Santiago yourself.
Go! Go! Go!
(I highly recommend it!)

And your experience will probably be different from anyone else's ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually, I was the one who answered the phone a few minutes after finding the wallet while cleaning. And who happened to own a bike and know the route to Los Arcos. :)
No way! lol how cool. The coincidences in the stories on this forum are so awesome :)

Thank you for asking this question!!! I start my first Camino in 3 weeks and I'm getting anxious. The excitement of going has turned into a bit of fear not wanting to think about it anymore. I just want to get going and stop trying to anticipate every last challenge I might run into. I've had only 6 months to plan my trip and I think I've burned my excitement out by over training and over preparing. I can't imagine planning for 3 years!!! Now I just want to be on the trail and trust I will overcome or at least be able to handle whatever challenges I'm faced with. Hundreds of thousands of people have walked it, many older than my 65 years, and if they can do it so can I. I already know my Camino started the moment I answered the call to walk it. The same challenges I face in my life are the same patterns I'm facing now. I feel like I am a strong woman who can walk this 500 miles no problem and then I have a fearful, no confidence side of me that emerges to drain the strength out of me. So thank you to all who acknowledge the challenges and lived to tell us all that it's all worth it. The whole experience is worth it!!
I understand a lot of what you said in there. I hope you enjoy your camino and use the tips provided by pilgrims here. How lucky you are to be able to leave so soon - only 6 months after deciding to go! :) Have fun there and take in the moments! I hope to see some of your pictures too lol. Buen camino!!

I'm planning to do the Camino next spring from the Belgium border. No doubt it will be hard, no doubt I will suffer. I don't really worry about that. I have faith in my stubbornness. my ability to stick my middle finger up to fickle fate and an unshakeable faith in the toughness of the human body. I have the utmost confidence that I will finish what I begin. Many people have done it before in conditions much harder than those I will endure. So I say to all, have faith in yourself.
Wow, what a walk! You seem to be ready to tackle the road head on :) Good luck and Buen camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Each of us approaches the Camino based upon his/her needs, and expectations and personality. All of us have some simple expectations, whether short term or longer term, as we journey! Mine include a relatively clean room at night, no bed bugs, a decent meal and clean water! These factors I can somewhat control ( though not always)by planningand choosing a time closer to the beginning of the season like February, orMarch, or April! Weather is up to nature but I prefer the cooler weather! Anticipatory planning is a skill most of us have! Once I have done the planning,I try and savor moment and breathe in the beauty of the experience. I try and take time to be as I walk! When Ifail, I try to recenter and return to the moment! If you name your expectations, plan well, some of them will likely be Fulfilled! You may be rewarded in ways you did not anticipate which is gift! Enjoy your journey!
I feel the same. Can't wait to see what story is written for me on that Camino :)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice!

Sorry to hear your disagreements happened in the end and because of that, they left a little cloud over the experience. Speaking of bringing the wrong top, that's something I want to make sure/hope doesn't happen. Good to know you can enjoy yourself amidst all you mentioned in the beginning of your post lol.

There's nothing worse than arriving in a town, only to discover there are no beds. This happened to about five fellow pilgrims when we reached Najera, and the hospitalero called the next town to check availability but they were full too. So, they contacted the mayor of Najera who promptly opened the community centre where the pilgrims slept, on mats!

Another time, we actually ran out of money! We had enough for our beds and our meals but nothing for breakfast the next day. We assumed there would be a bank machine in that town but there was not. Thankfully one of the albergues took credit cards so since we would be entering Galicia in the next day or two, we bought ponchos and breakfast with our credit cards. After that, I always made sure I had 100 euros stashed in my wallet for emergencies only.

Then, I got bed bugs not once, but twice! But we stopped at the ferreteria and got cinchos spray and got rid of them.

We also ran into an extremely horrible lady who owned an albergues. She was miserable, and no, we were not demanding anything of her and in fact we asked if we could help her in any way but she was that miserable, we just left and let her keep our $$'s and booked in at the pension in town which was wonderful.

We had a lot of other little things happen as well, but none of it mattered. Anything that happened could be remedied, and as they say, the Camino provides and it did. It was the most cathartic experience of our lives and we believe that all things, good and bad, added to our experience.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Often times this summer as we were walking, I would think of this forum and everything I had posted about my previous Camino experience - the nostalgic posts remembering all of the good parts and none of the challenges. I snapped photos of difficult moments this time around to remind myself that it is very challenging and folks should be prepared for those difficulties.

I was thinking specifically about a woman who wanted to bring her blind friend on the Camino and had asked forum members for advice. I thought about her question for 20 kilometers down the rocky hill from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca. No way! I thought as I slowly maneuvered my way along the uneven path with fully functioning eyesight.

Sitting next to the river in Molinaseca, I decided I would respond to the woman's question and advise her against it and just then (which is a very odd coincidence), a blind woman with a white cane with a tennis ball stuck on its red tip came walking across the bridge with her backpack on. I don't know how she made it down that hill - she seemed to be walking alone. We saw her several times after Molinaseca and in Santiago which just goes to show how little I know about what is challenging and difficult for anyone other than myself.

Nonetheless, as per your request I made you (the OP) a bubble bursting photo collage from both of our journeys along the Camino. :) Just to be clear, my collage is intended to be humorous. We loved every moment, especially the challenging ones, and happily, I have 10,000 (literally) more photos of less challenging moments along the way!View attachment 35776
Yes! We were served tuna on top of lukewarm Spaghettios! :eek:

I tell people that you don't walk the Camino for the food or the sleep. The sleeping was especially tough for me. I slept mainly in albergues. It took me awhile to get used to sleeping on bunk beds in a big room. As far as the food, it just wasn't that great. Once in awhile you'd get lucky and have a wonderful communal dinner, but most of the restaurant meals were forgettable at best.

Despite those two areas, I plan to walk the Camino again. The walking and the people and the countryside made up for the downsides.
Totally understand. The good news is I found the food to be heaps better the second time around because I knew what to order and had learned a bit of Spanish in the interim. Even so still made one memorable mistake...tripe and pig snout soup. The pig snouts were sliced in transverse sections from the tip back and floated at the top of the soup looking exactly like what they were. The broth was delicious though.
PS Met a fellow Aussie carrying a jar of vegemite who said he would rather share his wife than share his vegemite! Damn it!

Last edited:
Discovering in Los Arcos that you left your wallet with passport, money, and credit cards in the albergue twelve kilometers back. Then calling to find out no one there speaks German, but the nice American guessed what you wanted and brought it to you by bicycle. But now the story gets fun: Another American sitting nearby on the bench said, "You forgot your passport? How un-German of you." Since she did not understand English, she just stared at him. He assumes she merely didn't get the joke: "Germans are supposed to be so organized and meticulous." She still stares at him. Before he can stick his foot in deeper, the fellow sitting next to him says (with a German accent), "Germans also don't have a sense of humor."
So, where does Hape Kerkerling fit in then? Best read about Camino, for me.

So, where does Hape Kerkerling fit in then? Best read about Camino, for me.
The contrarian faction, I think. He gets his ego boost from being different. Entertaining, but very self-centered. Perhaps if he had more self-respect, he would have more respect. That is just my opinion; I could be wrong.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Exactly: Vegemite is an evil thing -
How rude - Vegemite is a tradition and very good for greasing axles - also such fun to see a pilgrim's face who hasn't achieved any tolerance for it when we get them to try it - doesn't work with the Brits - they have Marmite!

Thank you!
Relax and enjoy it. My friend told me not everything, and I'm glad he didn't. The Camino always provides. You will hear things that may not even happen. This is a "Life" experience. Enjoy the anticipation and adventure. We have been home now 2 months, and there is not a dat goes by the Csmino does not happen in my head.

Can I ask when you encountered the snow? I'm planning on walking April/May of 2018 and now you've got me worried ;-)....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There will be days (more than two) where you will cry out "what the h-e-double hockey sticks" am I doing here? I could be home on my couch/sofa/chesterfield reading my book/IPad/newspaper will no sore knees/hips/ankles? Have I lost my bloody mind? But then something really nice will happen, like someone finding your lost hat or getting a lovely pilgrim blessing which touches your soul or you will come up over a rise and there is someone serving ginger tea which is so refreshing......and you will get over it!! Buen Camino!!

h-e-double hockey sticks...I love that...

Never heard of Hape Kerkerling. What's the connection to my little story?
Groleau said: ↑
He wrote a book called "I'm off then..." He is a German tv personality, comedian, whatever. Sorry, my post was too brief and did not allow for those who may not have heard of him. I read a fair number of books before walking the Camino Frances, and afterwards too. His book holds the best colour in my memory, if I have to colour code, then he is sunshine yellow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you!

Prior to setting off on the Camino Frances, I researched it to death - for about 4 months. When I got there, it was nothing like I expected. It hurt more than I thought it was going to (blisters, feet, etc.) but was so much more beautiful than I thought it would be. After I reached Santiago, I continued on to Muxia and then Finnistere. What I can tell you is that I enjoyed every single step I took to get there and although the research may have helped a very small bit, experiencing the real thing was completely different. When I finished, my only thoughts were about when I might do it again. So, don't spend too much time on what to expect when you get there. Do some training carrying a full back pack, make sure you pack only the bare essentials - the lighter your pack the better and expect to experience the time of your life. Buen Camino.

Thank you!
I wish I had heard more reality about down sides, because I might have felt less down about them if I knew others had felt the same way but still came away enjoying their Camino. The biggest down side for me was the fact that due to the heat, and the early rising required in albergues, that you needed to stop walking by 2pm. So upon arrival at very small towns, there was nothing to do and everything was closed for siesta until dinner served 5-6 hours later. Lots of down time, and if you were walking solo, lots of alone time. This got very lonely and depressing repeated day after day.

Lots of down time, and if you were walking solo, lots of alone time. This got very lonely and depressing repeated day after day.[/QUOTE]

But, will you walk again?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of down time, and if you were walking solo, lots of alone time. This got very lonely and depressing repeated day after day.

But, will you walk again?[/QUOTE]
Although I thought I would not want to, now that I've been home about a month and a half, I would consider doing a new route, or a different "pilgrimage" with a new destination. It helps knowing what to expect.

But, will you walk again?
Although I thought I would not want to, now that I've been home about a month and a half, I would consider doing a new route, or a different "pilgrimage" with a new destination. It helps knowing what to expect.[/QUOTE]
I completely understand. My first camino was in Sept/Oct with lots of pilgrims. My second was in April/May with few pilgrims. At first I was very lonely and then I got used to it just about the time the next wave of pilgrims caught up to me and was almost reluctant to give up my solitude. And I totally agree that it is all about managing expectations. Every camino is different.

Can I ask when you encountered the snow? I'm planning on walking April/May of 2018 and now you've got me worried ;-)....
Don't get too worried about the snow. Not being used to snow, I felt exactly the same when I walked in April/May this year. When I started on 2 April from SJPdP, the Napolean route to Roncesvalles was closed due to snow so I enjoyed the Valcaros route. There was snow at Roncesvalles but just a thin layer and not huge snow drifts. There was another snow storm about two weeks on but again it was certainly do-able and I had no special snow gear apart from good rain gear, several layers, and a pair of waterproof socks because I walked in quick drying ie quick getting wet, trail runners. Take the usual sensible precautions and listen to advice from pilgrim office and hopitaleros.
Oh and the best thing I did to get over the fear was read the blogs of @mspath http://allmycaminos.blogspot.fr/. She is a legend.

Try not to overthink this experience. No one can predict what is going to happen and that is why we do it. Be as prepared as possible and take it from there
I'm not convinced that it helps to know too much. Go without expectations!
Agree , when I walked the camino for the 2nd Time, I kep asking me.... What l am doing here.... After several days, I told mysef 'stop asking stupide question, just walk, and if there IS à reason, the camino will let you know.... ' And it Works ....

Thank you!
I would like to respond to your post - I talked with a few people, and started following this forum, once I decided to walk the Camino Frances. My friend and I trained, and prepared well. By day 3 of the actually walking, I was frustrated - why did people NOT tell me how physically trying/exhausting the pilgrimage was? Did they forget how physically challenging it was? Then, after returning from walking the entire French Way, I understand - memories of the the physical challenges, for me, melted away quickly. The experiences along the path, and the changes within me, are lasting. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think back to something about the pilgrimage, and how this experience has positively impacted my life. I would suggest, if you can, not to worry. Anxiety before any big trip is perfectly normal. But once on the path, you will be supported by the other pilgrims.

We also ran into an extremely horrible lady who owned an albergues. She was miserable, and no, we were not demanding anything of her and in fact we asked if we could help her in any way but she was that miserable, we just left and let her keep our $$'s and booked in at the pension in town which was wonderful.
Was it in Larasoana?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would like to respond to your post - I talked with a few people, and started following this forum, once I decided to walk the Camino Frances. My friend and I trained, and prepared well. By day 3 of the actually walking, I was frustrated - why did people NOT tell me how physically trying/exhausting the pilgrimage was? Did they forget how physically challenging it was? Then, after returning from walking the entire French Way, I understand - memories of the the physical challenges, for me, melted away quickly. The experiences along the path, and the changes within me, are lasting. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think back to something about the pilgrimage, and how this experience has positively impacted my life. I would suggest, if you can, not to worry. Anxiety before any big trip is perfectly normal. But once on the path, you will be supported by the other pilgrims.
The Camino is a lot like childbirth in that way. :)

Thank you!

The camino is as wonderful as you imagine. It's also harder than you can imagine. If (when) I do the Camino Frances again, I will listen and HEED the advice of those that went before and truly travel light, bringing only one extra set of clothes and minimal toiletries and supplies. I will carry more water each day over the Pyrennes and Meseta. I will get up earlier and walk from 0600 to noon, have a good lunch and relax in the town where I settle for the night. I will pay the money for 2 bed rooms whenever possible, since the cleanliness of albergues is iffy at best in some places. Bed bugs are real. Heat stroke is real. Take heat and dehydration seriously. Care for you feet well. Take off your socks at every stop and let them air out. Vaseline up before you put on your expensive double layer socks. Lace your boots well. Loose boots cause a lot of blisters. Walk in your boots for 6 months before you go. Use trekking poles. We saw so many injuries from falls and twisted ankles. Thank God our poles kept us from falling or twisting our ankles. Take tendinitis seriously, rest for a day or two if it starts up. Don't medicate and keep going. We saw several pilgrim friends go home early due to tendinitis.
Enjoy the journey and listen to what God has to say to you. When I left my rock at Cruz del Ferro, I thought I heard a voice say "kneel here." I don't usually kneel, especially on rocky soil, but I did it. I knelt and asked God what I should do...go home early to care for my mom, or keep going to Santiago. When I opened my eyes at the end of that questioning prayer, on a rock in front of me was in black sharpie "Don't worry, Keep walking." I did. My mom was still alive upon my return, and the day before reaching Santiago I decided to retire. I believe I heard God say, "You have finished well, it's time to enjoy the rest of your journey, I will take care of you."

Don't get too worried about the snow. Not being used to snow, I felt exactly the same when I walked in April/May this year. When I started on 2 April from SJPdP, the Napolean route to Roncesvalles was closed due to snow so I enjoyed the Valcaros route. There was snow at Roncesvalles but just a thin layer and not huge snow drifts. There was another snow storm about two weeks on but again it was certainly do-able and I had no special snow gear apart from good rain gear, several layers, and a pair of waterproof socks because I walked in quick drying ie quick getting wet, trail runners. Take the usual sensible precautions and listen to advice from pilgrim office and hopitaleros.
Oh and the best thing I did to get over the fear was read the blogs of @mspath http://allmycaminos.blogspot.fr/. She is a legend.

My original inspiration, and continues to offer her knowledge freely and generously. Thank you, mspath!

There's nothing worse than arriving in a town, only to discover there are no beds. This happened to about five fellow pilgrims when we reached Najera, and the hospitalero called the next town to check availability but they were full too. So, they contacted the mayor of Najera who promptly opened the community centre where the pilgrims slept, on mats!

Another time, we actually ran out of money! We had enough for our beds and our meals but nothing for breakfast the next day. We assumed there would be a bank machine in that town but there was not. Thankfully one of the albergues took credit cards so since we would be entering Galicia in the next day or two, we bought ponchos and breakfast with our credit cards. After that, I always made sure I had 100 euros stashed in my wallet for emergencies only.

Then, I got bed bugs not once, but twice! But we stopped at the ferreteria and got cinchos spray and got rid of them.

We had a lot of other little things happen as well, but none of it mattered. Anything that happened could be remedied, and as they say, the Camino provides and it did. It was the most cathartic experience of our lives and we believe that all things, good and bad, added to our experience.

Buen Camino!
Oh no, bed bugs! :eek: You know, if there is one thing I hope I don't have to deal with, it's that.

Totally understand. The good news is I found the food to be heaps better the second time around because I knew what to order and had learned a bit of Spanish in the interim. Even so still made one memorable mistake...tripe and pig snout soup. The pig snouts were sliced in transverse sections from the tip back and floated at the top of the soup looking exactly like what they were. The broth was delicious though.
PS Met a fellow Aussie carrying a jar of vegemite who said he would rather share his wife than share his vegemite! Damn it!
Ok, I'm glad I asked my question, bc I'm learning new things... I don't think I need to see pig snouts floating in my soup before I croak, so this story is staying with me for when I order soup over there. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Prior to setting off on the Camino Frances, I researched it to death - for about 4 months. When I got there, it was nothing like I expected. It hurt more than I thought it was going to (blisters, feet, etc.) but was so much more beautiful than I thought it would be. After I reached Santiago, I continued on to Muxia and then Finnistere. What I can tell you is that I enjoyed every single step I took to get there and although the research may have helped a very small bit, experiencing the real thing was completely different. When I finished, my only thoughts were about when I might do it again. So, don't spend too much time on what to expect when you get there. Do some training carrying a full back pack, make sure you pack only the bare essentials - the lighter your pack the better and expect to experience the time of your life. Buen Camino.
Thank you! Yes, I am anticipating more pain than I can imagine or have experienced yet on practice walks., which seems impossible -- haha, but yet I know to be true. Thanks for the tips.
Edit: Oh and tell me about the beauty... yes! Certain places look so amazing. I cannot wait to experience them in person.

I wish I had heard more reality about down sides, because I might have felt less down about them if I knew others had felt the same way but still came away enjoying their Camino. The biggest down side for me was the fact that due to the heat, and the early rising required in albergues, that you needed to stop walking by 2pm. So upon arrival at very small towns, there was nothing to do and everything was closed for siesta until dinner served 5-6 hours later. Lots of down time, and if you were walking solo, lots of alone time. This got very lonely and depressing repeated day after day.
Thank you for sharing. Yeah, it will be interesting to see how days unfold themselves. I wonder how busy I'll be with everything.

Thank you for reassuring me. I think it's such a transformative and unique experience that the pain you feel is secondary in the long run, because what stays with you is much deeper and lasting. I try and tell myself it will be worth it :) I just can't imagine going through said pain. I wonder if everyone hits that wall or if it's not as bad for some.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The camino is as wonderful as you imagine. It's also harder than you can imagine. If (when) I do the Camino Frances again, I will listen and HEED the advice of those that went before and truly travel light, bringing only one extra set of clothes and minimal toiletries and supplies. I will carry more water each day over the Pyrennes and Meseta. I will get up earlier and walk from 0600 to noon, have a good lunch and relax in the town where I settle for the night. I will pay the money for 2 bed rooms whenever possible, since the cleanliness of albergues is iffy at best in some places. Bed bugs are real. Heat stroke is real. Take heat and dehydration seriously. Care for you feet well. Take off your socks at every stop and let them air out. Vaseline up before you put on your expensive double layer socks. Lace your boots well. Loose boots cause a lot of blisters. Walk in your boots for 6 months before you go. Use trekking poles. We saw so many injuries from falls and twisted ankles. Thank God our poles kept us from falling or twisting our ankles. Take tendinitis seriously, rest for a day or two if it starts up. Don't medicate and keep going. We saw several pilgrim friends go home early due to tendinitis.
Enjoy the journey and listen to what God has to say to you. When I left my rock at Cruz del Ferro, I thought I heard a voice say "kneel here." I don't usually kneel, especially on rocky soil, but I did it. I knelt and asked God what I should do...go home early to care for my mom, or keep going to Santiago. When I opened my eyes at the end of that questioning prayer, on a rock in front of me was in black sharpie "Don't worry, Keep walking." I did. My mom was still alive upon my return, and the day before reaching Santiago I decided to retire. I believe I heard God say, "You have finished well, it's time to enjoy the rest of your journey, I will take care of you."
Wonderful post. I appreciate your advice and will definitely remember it. Thank you for sharing your tips and your camino moments.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
it will be interesting to see how days unfold themselves. I wonder how busy I'll be with everything.
I hope not tooooo much! ;)

Lots of down time, and if you were walking solo, lots of alone time. This got very lonely and depressing repeated day after day.
I think it's such a transformative and unique experience that the pain you feel is secondary in the long run
Being alone and content by yourself is really different from loneliness.
Being comfortably quiet is really different from being depressed.

A lot of rural small-town Spain is not a happening place. There are no tapas bars or nightlife. There's 'nothing to do.' For those who seek a party or are addicted to entertainment from the outside, it can be a hell realm. But if you want transformation......it's perfect. The quiet relentlessness of the camino confronts us with ourselves, all our reactivity, and all the ways we drive ourselves crazy. And somehow we have to learn to relax, and to surrender to ourselves, each other, and life - just the way it is here and now. Yeah, the camino can transform - but the process is not always so much fun.

So there aren't magical sunbeams with a soundtrack playing in the background. It can be hard work, physically and mentally. The pain isn't secondary, it's the doorway in to the camino alchemy, and there's not a lot that's better.

I never imagined that I would have a “bad experience” — but the one thing that really surprised me was a loss of faith that I would finish. I had read about blisters, but I walked with very worn-in boots, and walked a lot as part of my job (well, did when I walked my camino) so didn’t expect them to be a problem, but the hard surfaces not only gave me blisters, the blisters challenged me that I was not “invincible”. I began to wonder if I would ever make it Santiago, and that it was not a “given”. This was the hardest part of my camino, and it wasn’t really about my sore feet. But there is always a solution — I bought new shoes, my feet healed and I made it, perhaps a more humble pilgrim. But the good far outweighs the bad, and I’m back for more soon, although I’m such a non-planner — I’ve only just decided to go in a month and a half (eeekkk!). “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”

I have not gone through huge pain on the Camino. A baby toe blister sure hurts, but you can just stop for a day and it heals, so I don't consider that to be "hitting the wall". :p
I never had much pain on the Camino. In fact, I never took a single pain reliever. And I met other people who walked without blisters, bed bug bites, or any real pain.

I never imagined that I would have a “bad experience” — but the one thing that really surprised me was a loss of faith that I would finish. I had read about blisters, but I walked with very worn-in boots, and walked a lot as part of my job (well, did when I walked my camino) so didn’t expect them to be a problem, but the hard surfaces not only gave me blisters, the blisters challenged me that I was not “invincible”. I began to wonder if I would ever make it Santiago, and that it was not a “given”. This was the hardest part of my camino, and it wasn’t really about my sore feet. But there is always a solution — I bought new shoes, my feet healed and I made it, perhaps a more humble pilgrim. But the good far outweighs the bad, and I’m back for more soon, although I’m such a non-planner — I’ve only just decided to go in a month and a half (eeekkk!). “Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”
Ah, the blisters. Had you brought products or anything like that to prevent them or remedy to them with you?
It's true that until we are met with a challenge, we feel invincible, that these things like blisters will only happen to others. I hope my feet manage when walking the camino :eek:
I also hope your second camino will be less painful on your feet! :)

I never had much pain on the Camino. In fact, I never took a single pain reliever. And I met other people who walked without blisters, bed bug bites, or any real pain.
Yes, it's weird. Is it some special blessing for us? Or we just walk in adifferent way than others? Or maybe we're wimps and God knows it, so He gave us a break. I never did any of this "training" I hear about because I hadn't heard of Camino till I retired. But some of us have troubles that others don't and I don't know why.

This is getting way off track. I'll burst a few more of your bubbles:

People who get up at 4.30am and wake you when it's not even hot and there's no bed shortage. People who repeatedly and obsessively rearrange all their pointless stuff and rustle their elaborate plastic bag 'packing system'. People who show you their stupid gadgets, tools, knives, and apps to make themselves feel super important and expert. Big groups that take over a place and exclude people, yet are convinced they are very sociable. People who get frantic because there aren't enough sockets to charge their multifarious (pointless) devices. People who poke and pick at their feet in the kitchen. People who moan about 'The Spanish' being loud. People who wear pretentious cosplay approximations of medieval garb. People who are on some kind of a hair shirt ticket. People who feel the need to monitor every step, emotion and bodily function with an app and then blog it to an indifferent world. People who sew their feet and go on about wool.

All the rain, wind, mud and cowshit in the world isn't as annoying as these people.
Hilarious..Guffawing as I munch my Vegemite toast...the mediaeval garb ..really?? Is the pig bladder pouch sufficiently waterproof for an iPhone 7?? I must get me one!!!!

Well... there was the day when I idiotically let us run out of cash just as we were entering a multi-day "ATM desert" (now where was that emergency €100 in the liner of my pack? Oh, yeah, we took it out four days ago...) Kindly cafe keeper pointed us off the camino down a dirt farm road where an hour's walk would take us to a bus stop on the highway. Only, the schedule posted at the bus stop indicated just one bus a day! We hitchhiked to the next town where, miraculously, there was an ATM.

So, cash replenished, we walked on down the highway with the intention of rejoining the camino - only that was also the day when my sweetie's stress fracture first appeared. No taxis, no buses, and we should have hitchhiked again but she stoically insisted we keep walking as the pain grew more intense. Finally got to a bus stop that would take us to the city, called our doctor at home and determined that the mysterious pain was probably a hairline fracture suddenly aggravated by all the pavement walking.

That was the end of our camino that year. We spent a lovely couple of days before our flight home limping from pintxo to pintxo and planning when we'd come back - with more cash and better conditioning next time.

Well... there was the day when I idiotically let us run out of cash just as we were entering a multi-day "ATM desert" (now where was that emergency €100 in the liner of my pack? Oh, yeah, we took it out four days ago...) Kindly cafe keeper pointed us off the camino down a dirt farm road where an hour's walk would take us to a bus stop on the highway. Only, the schedule posted at the bus stop indicated just one bus a day! We hitchhiked to the next town where, miraculously, there was an ATM.

So, cash replenished, we walked on down the highway with the intention of rejoining the camino - only that was also the day when my sweetie's stress fracture first appeared. No taxis, no buses, and we should have hitchhiked again but she stoically insisted we keep walking as the pain grew more intense. Finally got to a bus stop that would take us to the city, called our doctor at home and determined that the mysterious pain was probably a hairline fracture suddenly aggravated by all the pavement walking.

That was the end of our camino that year. We spent a lovely couple of days before our flight home limping from pintxo to pintxo and planning when we'd come back - with more cash and better conditioning next time.
Aw, sorry about the abrupt ending. What town did you guys have to stop at? I worry about pavement walking too. It gets hard after a while. Are you guys talking about going back anytime soon?

Aw, sorry about the abrupt ending. What town did you guys have to stop at? I worry about pavement walking too. It gets hard after a while. Are you guys talking about going back anytime soon?

We ended that trip in Burgos and yes we're going back! We both hate gyms but my wife has agreed that if she's not doing resistance training by Thanskgiving, I have to nag her until she does. Bones, unfortunately, are a "use it or lose it" item.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We ended that trip in Burgos and yes we're going back! We both hate gyms but my wife has agreed that if she's not doing resistance training by Thanskgiving, I have to nag her until she does. Bones, unfortunately, are a "use it or lose it" item.
Very cool that you are continuing :) I agree with you about going to the gym, my idea of walking it has made me join a gym as well! Good luck when you go back!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back