• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Bilbao to Pamplona and / or bus Madrid to Pamplona?

Does anyone have experience taking the bus from Bilbao to Pamplona?

From a previous post by Johnnie Walker I have checked the web site for the bus company (http://www.laburundesa.com) but cannot determine if you have to change buses along the way....and more importantly if the buses operate on Sunday..I am looking at Sunday April 27th.

Also can someone give me the drill (I know I've read about how to do it.. here before..but can't seem to find it when I need to) for getting from Madrid airport to the bus that will get me to Pamplona..and ..the scheduled times/fare for Sunday April 27th ...after 3:30 pm...

My booked routing of flying to Pamplona from Madrid...went....well you know...when Spanair changed their schedule and now offer only one flight to Pamplona on April 27th...departing at 8:40pm...that is a little late for me after flying all day/night from Canada. So now I'm looking at these two options.

Thanks for all your help..not just with this question..but for all the excellent info that is posted on this site...can't wait to get my forum badge!

Marilyn
( 22 days and counting!!!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Marilyn
I have taken the bus from Bilbao to Pamplona in the past and it is a very easy, comfortable trip of about 2 hours with no changes. The website you need is http://www.alsa.es. There are 4 buses on Sunday 27th April. It costs 12.45 euros one way.
From memory, from Madrid airport you take the metro to Avenida de las Americas and the buses leave from the huge bus station there to Pamplona. I think there is also a bus from the airport to the bus station but I have never used that.
I think the bus company used to be continentalauto but it has all been taken over by the same company so you will find the timetable on the Alsa site. The journey takes about 5 hours and costs 26.29 euros one way. There are 10 buses on the Sunday but some leave very early and some travel through the night.
Of the two I think the Bilbao journey is the more scenic and if you are travelling on to Roncesvalles you will have couple of hours to explore Pamplona between buses. Of course if you are tired after your long flight the Madrid option might give some opportunity to catch up on some sleep. Personally, I am always too frightened of missing something to close my eyes for long!
You can book seats in advance but I have always got a seat by just turning up. Sometimes the queues at the ticket booths can be quite long so give yourself plenty of time to buy a ticket.
Have a safe journey and Buen Camino
Laura

The bus Company is “La Burundesa” and the trip takes 2 hours. Price: ± 12 Euros

The timetable from Bilbao to Pamplona is approximately:
Monday to Thursday: 7:30 – 10:00 – 13:30 – 16:00 – 18:15 – 20:30
Friday: 7:30 – 10:00 – 13:30 – 15:30 – 16:00 – 18:15 – 20:30
Saturday: 7:30 – 10:00 – 13:30 – 16:00 – 18:15 – 20:30
Sunday: 8:30 – 11:45 – 16:00 – 17:30 – 20:00 – 21:00
Departures from Garellano Station.
The connection between Bilbao airport and the bus station (in the city centre) can be made by taxi. Approximate price: 20 Euros. Or by bus: Price: 1.15 euro. Departs every half hour from the airport (arrivals area) and from the bus station. It takes approximately 25 minutes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Laura and Sil for the detailed information....I think destiny has me staying with my flight from Madrid to Pamplona....the bus or Bilbao options would get me to Pamplona a bit earlier..(but still after the 6 pm bus)..but not early enough to warrant the expense of the changes or me trying to make connections from airport to bus ..in what likely will be a very jet lagged state...I will have a 5 hr layover in Madrid airport!

I do have a new question....I know the bus departs from Pamplona at 6 pm to arrive in Roncesvalles at 7:30 pm...in time for Pilgrims mass....but I've read that you must pre-order (by 6 pm) the supper that is served after mass......how does one arriving on the bus do that??

I am presuming that you mean for dinner at the La Posada? They always accommodate the pilgrims arriving by bus and have two sittings if it is busy. They will serve dinner before and after mass.
If you go to the bus station in Pamplona early enough you might find other pilgrims milling about who will be willing to share a taxi to Roncesvalles. It costs ± 42 euro.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very useful info, thanks so much. i will arrive Bilbao on Feb 5th 2013, from there i will try to get a bus to Pamplona where my boyfriend lives, your help will make my trip much easier, thanks again for every one.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back