• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bus from Casar de Caceres

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Obviously there is a fancy-schmancy bus station in this wee town/village/hamlet. However, I cannot find any information about buses leaving from there - all the info I have suggests the bus leaves from Caceres! If that is the case, is it worth walking to Casar de Caceres or should we just skip straight on (by bus) to Banos de Montemayor - as a piece of architecture, the bus station is of interest to us, as would be the bull ring and there's apparently a cheese museum which excites the cheesemaker in me - but I'm not sure if they are worth 11km there and then the same route back the next day (this is the stretch that Daddy and Grandpa are with us and we want to make the most of their experience, rather than retracing the same ground). Of course, if the bus left from there it would be a no-brainer (or if we have made good time up to that point we would even walk on to Embalse and then take the bus the following day from Canaveral).
So basically, does anyone know if a bus leaves from CdC to Banos de Montemayor?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't know about the bus from CdC...but I do know that the albergue in CdC is very sketchy. That may be charitable as I found it to be one of the worst ever.
Of course, this was mid-August withe the temp up around 54 degrees that day. No one had been there for a week. I moved on.

Hi, kiwi,
Here's one schedule, for buses between Casar de Cáceres and Cáceres http://www.norbabus.com/principal.aspx?viene=UnaLinea&id_linea=1

ALSA has a line from Cáceres to Salamanca, but it doesn´t look like there's a stop in Casar de Cáceres. https://www.alsa.es/rutas/salamanca-caceres.htm

On your other question, I don't think the 11 km between the two are particularly "unmissable." Straight, mostly near the highway, but also going through agricultural roads and fields. So it's not an 11 km slog on asphalt. There is a good churros place in Casar de Cáceres, and it opens at unimaginably early hours so you can be sure of getting coffee and something to eat. But based on my experience eating churros in that place, I would say churros are not a good way to prepare you for a long walk, unless you want to walk feeling like you have a ball of iron in your stomach. (this is not meant to suggest that these churros were bad churros, just that churros in general seem to me to leave you with that sensation).

I saw the cheese museum but can't remember whether I went in or not. I particularly am not a fan of the native cheese, it is very gooey and pungent, but many love it. So I would say that on balance you might be better off just hopping on the bus in Cáceres and skip on to Baños, where there are a few things to see and a nice choice of places to eat, shops, baths, etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I liked the cheese museum in Casar de Cáceres very much, but I have a probably questionable liking for Spain's quirkier museums. A week or so south of CdC it is well worth popping in to Monasterio's Museo del Jamón (very interesting about the dehesa). I am kicking myself that last week I apparently missed a giant squid museum in Luarca, and the cider museum in Villaviciosa was shut when I passed by. At some point I trust there will be a Museo del Pan de Cea and I will be close to having a full menú.

I thought the countryside between Casar de Cáceres and Aldeanueva del Camino was up there with the loveliest on the VdlP, and I'm a great fan of Galisteo's walled village and minaret turned into church steeple, visible from many km off. Not forgetting Cáparra's lovely lonely triumphal arch. Also, next time, I'm determined to visit Hervás, a few km from Aldeanueva, just off the camino, which apparently has one of the best preserved juderías in Spain.

Oh I really don't like hearing that we are missing a fantastic stretch (especially as deep down I don't want to take a bus at all, but will be doing it merely for the sake of others in the group)
And so I have written a new plan that sees us walking as far as Galisteo, then taking the road to Plasencia where we would catch a bus to Banos. It is dependent on Grandpa being able to manage 20km a day and so we shall just have to see how he goes. If he struggles, then we shall take Laurie's advice (although my kids LOVE churros so they will definitely want to go to CdC!!!)

I recommend getting the bus from Caceres to Casar de Caceres (Monday to Friday).
Timetable:
http://www.norbabus.com/principal.aspx?viene=UnaLinea&id_linea=1
Beware Saturdays (only 2 buses) and Sundays (none) and public holidays.
The first few km out of Caceres are on a very busy road that I didn't enjoy.
But the walk after Casar is quite glorious, so I think your plan is good.
And I enjoyed the cheese and churros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree with Marianne. We did it on a hot day and there was a lot of walking either on road or near road. Never did end up eating the cheese or churros. I didn't like the albergue much at CdC - it's noisy as the bells of the church across the plaza do double rings on the hour which is terrible for those who are light sleepers. Every time someone uses the loo at night, the fan goes on so don't sleep in the room facing the toilets! Our friend with the burro was staying at the private albergue near the pool. I suspect he knew something that we didn't...

I'm considering doing the section from Caceres to Salamanca or Zamora in early April, but I hear the albergue at the Embalse on stage 12 is closed. Are there any other options? Would a person be smarter just to begin in Canaveral or even Baños?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back