• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Jaca to San Juan de la Pena Info

Time of past OR future Camino
Others have mentioned that there is a bus from Jaca to San Juan de la Pena. I believe someone said it leaves Jaca at 9:30 am. It does not appear to be ALSA and Google is not coming up with the bus info. Can anyone post additional info about this bus -- What is the bus Co. name? Where do you get it? Is there a timetable? Thanks! Liz

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I caught the bus back in September 2016. I can't tell you the bus company. But I am pretty sure it left around 9 from the bus station in Jaca. It is the same bus station I came in from Zaragoza and also left on a bus up to Somport in the afternoon. The bus went up to the new monastery, dropped us off and took anyone who wanted to visit the old monastery back down. You can walk down to the old from the new. The track back down from the old monastery back to the Camino path was pretty slippery back then.

I agree, I was in Jaca around that time too, the bus leaves from the bus station, in the city center of Jaca, at some time between 9 and 9:30, indeed. You should have enough time to visit San Juan, then walk down to spend the night in Santa Cilia de Jaca, probably.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From the Jaca tourist office webpage:

AUTOBÚS AL MONASTERIO

Hasta el 26 de agosto de 2018

Salidas 09.25 y 10.25 desde la Plaza Biscós y vuelta a las 18 y 20 h. Precio del viaje: 15 € con ida y vuelta y entrada a los dos monasterios. Más información y horarios en el teléfono 974 35 51 19.

I have taken that bus in 2016, and was told at the Tourist Office about the bus schedule for that day. I suggest that you ask there, as they can book it for you and there are sometimes changes in the schedule or additional buses. I took the bus up to the two monasteries, then down to the bottom of the hill, where I walked to the albergue at Santa Cilia to spend the night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We were there in Sept/Oct 2019, staying at Jaca Albergue. The very friendly and helpful hospitalero there could provide you all info of the bus. We were done visiting both monasterio around 2 pm, and when talking to the driver of the bus, they said they are leaving at 2:30 pm back to Jaca but could also drop us off at the camino so we could continue to walk to Santa Cilia and we did. Or you could also go back to Jaca and spend another night at the nice albergue. If you want to spend more time at the monasterio, there is a returning bus around 6pm or so .
One thing to pay attention to when taking the bus around 9:25am at the bus station -- there were two buses, one clearly marked San Juan de la Pina, and the other one not clearly marked (I forgot the color of the bus), we thought we would take the well marked bus, but it turned out it was for tourists and we got on the other bus, so make sure you ask instead of just waiting there! I thin both buses are operated by same group of drivers as I saw them changing back and forth at the new monastery!
Enjoy the fantastic views!

I believe the bus is available during 'the high season' only, and that was not toward the end of April 2019, when I visited the bus station and Jaca tourism office. I and three other pilgrims availed of the Taxi Sinel service, which was very helpful--€60 return trip for four of us, i.e. €15 each, which we felt was good value--and of course the visit to San Juan de la Pena was Well Worth It!

I believe the bus is available during 'the high season' only, and that was not toward the end of April 2019, when I visited the bus station and Jaca tourism office. I and three other pilgrims availed of the Taxi Sinel service, which was very helpful--€60 return trip for four of us, i.e. €15 each, which we felt was good value--and of course the visit to San Juan de la Pena was Well Worth It!

When this thread first got posted, back in January, I did a little googling and found this bit of information. But since it was not consistent with what people were saying, I didn’t post it. But now that @Silverton says that she did not find the bus running in April, I thought I would post to say that the Jaca Tourist office posted a link in summer 2019, saying there would be daily buses from Jaca at 10 am (july) and two daily in August. Looks like round trip service, with returns in late afternoon, 6 or 7 pm. That may be too long for some people, but it is a wonderful place, so making a day trip out of it is a nice ideal. The bus looks like an official Jaca Turismo bus, though, so I wonder if it is possible that some of the private companies also offer bus service.

But it is good to know that the taxi service seems reasonable — Silverton, did the taxi wait there for you, or did you get to spend as much time as you wanted and then called for the return?

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie, and thanks for all your sensible advice on the Camino Aragonés (as well as so many other routes).
The taxi company took us up, and returned for us at an agreed time--two round-trips for them to the old monastery. We walked across to the 'new' monastery, exhibition and coffee shop. I had googled Taxi Sinel and found their rates listed. We contacted their mobile number on WhatsApp, easily. We got them to/from Sta Cilia, but I'm sure Jaca is an option too. The Jaca tourist office duo seemed rather uninterested, but it wasn't yet high season, although a good week after Easter.

… if you miss the bus there is always hitch hiking. The tourist officer in Jaca can tell you about the best spots to begin. There are two ways up to the monastery.

I hitched a ride from a gas station as far as the turn off just before the village of Bernués then hictched a second ride to the monastery. Afterward I followed a hiking trail down to Sta Cilia. The views were awesome. (The gas attendant knew some of the drivers. He stood by me as I enquired)

Jaca Tourist Office to Monastère Saint-Jean de la Peña : https://goo.gl/maps/TjPqqKbRfYzab7D97

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a bus up to the monasteries from Jaca in September 2023. It left about 9.00am and delivered us to the new monastery. The bus then left at about 2.00pm and picked us up at the old monastery on the way back. Well worth the trip.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back