• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Leon to Virgin del Carmen

Carolyn G

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
May 2019
(Future - CP September 2020)
Hi - does anyone have current information on taking a bus from Leon to Virgin del Camino to pick up the Camino from there? I’ve seen posts saying there was a bus stop by the Cathedral - would you know exactly where? Does the bus stop more than once in Virgin and which stop is closest to the Camino? Is the Leon bus station located within practical walking distance from the Cathedral area? Thank you for any & all help.
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not at the Cathedral but at the west end of the pedestrian walk to the Cathedral. More specifically the bus stop is on the Plaza de Santa Domingo, the bus makes numerous stops up the hill to Virgen del Camino, stay on the bus until the very end of its route. This will have you in front of the chapel and leave you with the choice of following the N-120 to Villadangos del Paramo or the path on the left side of the road to Vilar Mazarife.

And yes, the bus station in Leon is just across the river and very close to the Cathedral and you will walk straight through Plaza de s. Domingo to get to the center of town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go here, to this webpage
Then, bottom of the screen.
Click in "galeria de imagenes". This is the bus schedule. As you can see, Virgen del Camino is a terminal.
No need to go to the bus terminal in Leon; you can take the bus in Santo Domingo square; it is a busy roundpoint. Your bus stop is at a big brick building, near a BBVA bank.
You pay to the driver; keep some coins at hand.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you please tell me the name of the website? When I click on your link it takes me to a vodaphone introduction.

I caught a taxi for 12 Euro instead three days ago as it just seemed simpler. I wanted to start my first day on the Camino early so rather than possibly waiting for a bus I got a taxi and was there in maybe 10 min. I then took the southern option and stayed at Tio Pepe Albergue in Villar de Mazariffe and really liked it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi - does anyone have current information on taking a bus from Leon to Virgin del Camino to pick up the Camino from there? I’ve seen posts saying there was a bus stop by the Cathedral - would you know exactly where? Does the bus stop more than once in Virgin and which stop is closest to the Camino? Is the Leon bus station located within practical walking distance from the Cathedral area? Thank you for any & all help.
Buen Camino!
Download the app moovit.

Yes, the above info is good: the bus runs every half hour from the Santo Domingo Plaza, in front of the BBV building. There is an identifiable bus shelter there. I believe that La Virgen is on the bus sign. At any rate, you can ask the driver. It is a half hour bus ride for under 2 Euros.

For a current bus schedule, you can get one from the Tourist Info office directly across from the cathedral.

In my halting and limited Spanish, I asked the driver if he could let me know where to get off the bus. I sat near the front (he knew I was a pilgrim from my sticks and pack) and he did let me know exactly where to get off.

It was easy and good. I'm always nervous about such things, and I needn't have been.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, the above info is good: the bus runs every half hour from the Santo Domingo Plaza, in front of the BBV building. There is an identifiable bus shelter there. I believe that La Virgen is on the bus sign. At any rate, you can ask the driver. It is a half hour bus ride for under 2 Euros.

For a current bus schedule, you can get one from the Tourist Info office directly across from the cathedral.

In my halting and limited Spanish, I asked the driver if he could let me know where to get off the bus. I sat near the front (he knew I was a pilgrim from my sticks and pack) and he did let me know exactly where to get off.

It was easy and good. I'm always nervous about such things, and I needn't have been.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all! The information was great! The bus schedule for this route is not posted inside the stop (June ‘19) but the BLUE A1 bus to Virgin del Camino does run on the schedule posted in this thread and you get off at the end of the line. BTW, ORANGE is just to the right if you need a new Sim Card. Buen Camino !

Buen Camino!
I caught the bus today (Saturday). It stops outside the BBVD building. Cost E1.45. I used Google maps to tell me when to get off at the closest stop to my destination. It was a number 1 bus but not the regular number 1. It had La Virgen on the sign on the bus. I found it by asking an old lady at the bus stop who just happened to also be going there so she gestured "follow me". I did, the Camino provided

Buen Camino!
The bus number 1A runs every half hour on the quarter past and quarter too...I was there the other day. Better than the unpleasant industrial area!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The bus number 1A runs every half hour on the quarter past and quarter too...I was there the other day. Better than the unpleasant industrial area!
The bus is blue and not outside the Cathedral but in the nearby plaza as described by others.

First bus at 8:30 am on Sundays, every hour. A 20 min ride.

See below for bus times (Route A1) on different days of the week. The address for the Santo Domingo bus stop (as central as you get) is: Plaza de Santo Domingo, 9 (opposite BBVA bank branch). Ask the driver for 'La Virgen' or 'La Virgen del Camino'. While in 'La Virgen', do have a look at the modern basilica in La Virgen (a very interesting building, funded by a Leonese emigrant to Mexico behind the founding of Cervecería Modelo, of Corona beer fame). The basilica dates from the middle 20th century but it incorporates the Baroque altar of the former church. See if you can spot St James amongst the apostles in the facade.

A better option to bus out of León (if you must) in my view, is to take the bus in Avenida de Quevedo, 2: that way you get to walk past the impressive Hostal de San Marcos (former Pilgrim Hostel and now 5* Parador) (and its church facade covered in shells) and cross the pedestrian Roman bridge over the Bernesga river out of the city: missing the magnificent Hostal would be a huge shame. This way, you will still miss the industrial area if you think you really cannot cope with it ;-)

LUNES A VIERNES LABORALES
Salidas SANTO DOMINGO
06:15
06:45
07:15
07:45
08:15
08:45
09:15
09:45
10:15
10:45
11:15
11:45
12:15
12:45
13:15
13:45
14:15
14:45
15:15
15:45
16:15
16:45
17:15
17:45
18:15
18:45
19:15
19:45
20:15
20:45
21:15
21:45
22:15

SÁBADOS LABORALES
Salidas SANTO DOMINGO
08:00
10:00
12:00
14:00
16:00
18:00
20:00
22:00

DOMINGOS Y FESTIVOS
Salidas SANTO DOMINGO
08:30
09:30
10:30
11:30
12:30
13:30
16:00
18:00
20:00
22:00

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back