• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Madrid to Burgos

Steven Light

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May - July 2018)
Meseta (October 2019)
2023?
We are flying into Madrid for our Meseta walk next week. It sounds like the bus is the best way to get to Burgos. My question is should we make reservations or can we count on getting 2 seats on whichever bus is at the best time depending on flight issues, etc? Can’t wait to be walking again!
Thanks,
Steven

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you get to the terminal with the bus 'station', there is an Alsa desk beside the exit, inside the terminal, where you can buy tickets.

Reservations are a gamble. Maybe you get there on time, maybe not. Waiting is a gamble, maybe there will be seats on the next bus, maybe not; I think it's likely there would be, but no guarantee. You might get to the terminal on time and find a queue, so get in that queue to buy your ticket as soon as you get there. I personally buy my ticket on arrival and take the next available bus. Your camino has already started, so letting the universe dictate your bus isn't a bad thing.

There is a shop inside the terminal where you can buy snacks for the trip as well, after you get your ticket.

Download the ALSA app.

Fill in all your details and those of your travel companion(s).

Keep a regular watch on buses that suit your travel plans. Book if necessary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190928_233002_com.mo2o.alsa.jpg
    Screenshot_20190928_233002_com.mo2o.alsa.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 13
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bus leaves from T4. Free shuttle from other terminals. Allow time. As advised above plenty of food options

When you get to the terminal with the bus 'station', there is an Alsa desk beside the exit, inside the terminal, where you can buy tickets.

Reservations are a gamble. Maybe you get there on time, maybe not. Waiting is a gamble, maybe there will be seats on the next bus, maybe not; I think it's likely there would be, but no guarantee. You might get to the terminal on time and find a queue, so get in that queue to buy your ticket as soon as you get there. I personally buy my ticket on arrival and take the next available bus. Your camino has already started, so letting the universe dictate your bus isn't a bad thing.

There is a shop inside the terminal where you can buy snacks for the trip as well, after you get your ticket.
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you!

Absolutely make reservations, I did the same Camino as you starting in Burgos. Be aware that you need to watch carefully for your bus at T4 as the buses do get into a jumble as the airport departures get busy.

I would make reservations too - have previously had to wait a few hours while buses came and went fully booked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always made reservations online beforehand when catching the ALSA buses. I do not see it as a gamble as it is not expensive and you have the piece of mind that you won't get to the ALSA desk/window and be told the bus is fully booked, which I have seen before.

Just make sure you have at least two hours or so after you arrive in Madrid before your bus departs terminal 4 at the airport.

There are direct buses from the bus station at Madrid airport to Burgos bus station (no need to go into central Madrid), with ALSA. You can buy tickets online in advance on the website. You can also take a taxi https://aktis.taxi/ if you want. I have dropped my mum off in Burgos to do the reverse trip before, and she was very happy with the service.

Last edited:
The one time I did this, I booked - and am glad I did as the bus was full. But I needed to get to Burgos at a certain time. If you don't have time constraints, winging it is more feasable, but still a gamble. If you do book, leave yourself lots of time to make the connection, at least 2 hours after arrival if not more. I had 3 and needed them as my flight was late and arrival formalities were a bit slow that day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I downloaded the alsa app and bought and paid for the ticket to Burgos while I was on the bus at the airport transferring to terminal 4. Very efficient, clever, fast.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back