• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bus from Madrid to Pamplona

createspace

Time of past OR future Camino
May 30 to June 30, 2013
My son and I arrive at the Madrid airport 7:40 A.M. May 29. I believe the best way to get to St. Jean would be take RENFE train from Atocha station leaving 11:35 A.M. for 17.65 E arriving Pamplona 14:40. Then I ride share to St. Jean. Is this correct? The bus from Madrid takes longer and costs more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: train from Madrid to Pamplona

I"m not sure where you checked, but I feel your information may be wrong. Last time I checked, you could get a bus from Madrid to Pamplona for around 25 euros and the train was over 80 euros.

You can then either ride share to SJPP, or you can take a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and ride share to SJPP from there.

It is true that the RENFE.com website shows tickets on that date for 17.65 euros. The trick is being able to use the RENFE website to buy them. The broker that I have used in the past for prices about the same as the discounted RENFE tickets isn't showing anything under $67.

I'd try to buy them on the RENFE site, but I wouldn't try for too long. A quick search through the forum will show that a lot of people (including me) have spent a lot of time and gotten very agitated trying over and over to buy tickets on that website without success.

Good luck, and let us know if you are successful! Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Would you get the bus tickets online from ALSA or wait until I've arrived at the airport in Madrid?
I believe the first bus leaves at 10:40 and doesn't arrive in Pamplona until 15:30. I'd love to ride share from Pamplona to St. Jean.

The trip takes less than 5 hours by bus.
It's a lovely trip - I love Spanish buses.. much nicer than US buses.

Here is a link to my blog with more information:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-from-madrid-to-pamplona.html

From the Madrid airport, you can catch a city bus to the Avenida de Americas bus terminal, get off the bus, go upstairs and purchase bus tickets at the kiosk. It's under two euros to get to the bus terminal and they have free wifi on the bus!

You can also take a bus directly from the airport. There are about 8 buses a day run by Conda.
Here is where you can look:
http://gospain.about.com/gi/o.htm?z...p_&tt=13&bt=0&bts=8&zu=http://www.movelia.es/

You want to go "Ida" only - one way

train from Madrid to Pamplona

The buses in Spain are great:) some even have free WiFi on the bus, it's an interesting trip from Madrid, you you will pass many pilgrims on the trip, as the bus route travels close to the Camino in many places, it is tempting to get off the bus and join them :). The fare is half the train fare. Arrival time in Pamplona is a respectable early afternoon. Just remember to take a snack and drink as there are few opportunities along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

If you want to buy your bus tickets online, try this site: https://www.movelia.es/en/index.html

I'd had better luck with movelia than with Alsa when using a US credit card.

Nancy

Anniesantiago said:
From the Madrid airport, you can catch a city bus to the Avenida de Americas bus terminal, get off the bus, go upstairs and purchase bus tickets at the kiosk. It's under two euros to get to the bus terminal and they have free wifi on the bus!

You can also take a bus directly from the airport. There are about 8 buses a day run by Conda.

I used to go to the 'Avenida Americas' in the center only to find that in 2011 , the bus stopped at T4 anyway. In October 2012 I boarded the Pamplona bus at T4 after buying my ticket at the terminal.I think that they all stop at T4 now? My bus was a night bus which departed from T4 at 02h30 , arriving in Pamplona before 8am.
A bus is considerably cheaper than a train.

Thank you very much. I have a lot more confidence that taking the bus to Pamplona is the right thing to do. I'll buy tickets and take the bus from T4 at the Madrid airport. Seems to make the most sense.
I'll post for ride share from Pamplona to St. Jean for May 30 in the afternoon. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

createspace said:
.............. taking the bus to Pamplona is the right thing to do. I'll buy tickets and take the bus from T4 at the Madrid airport. Seems to make the most sense.
taking into account that there are two of you and that you would have also had to use the Metro which have inflated their T4 supplement , I reckon that the savings must be over €100 - that a lot of Menu del Dias. :mrgreen:
Also , the bus station at Pamplona is more central than the train station.
Ps. The ticket office is on the very end of the right hand side of T4 before the exit. - the boarding platform is just outside the exit - very handy indeed.

RENSHAW said:
. In October 2012 I boarded the Pamplona bus at T4 after buying my ticket at the terminal.I think that they all stop at T4 now? My bus was a night bus which departed from T4 at 02h30 , arriving in Pamplona before 8am.

I just checked arrival date/ times into Madrid Terminal 2 given that I arrive at 2200 27 May, it will probably be after 2300 before I pickup my checked bags and clear immigration, too late to be travelling into madrid to find my accommodation, I may as well consider an overnight trip to Pamplona, that is if that service is still running and it isn't too difficult to get to the bus depot or T4?

Hi,
Getting the bus from T1 or T2 to T4 is very easy, here are the details:

traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic17380.html#p126004

Until 11:30 at night, the buses run every 5 minutes, so you shouldn't have much of a wait.

Looks like the ALSA bus leaves the airport at 1:15 a.m. if I'm reading the movelia schedule correctly, arriving Pamplona at 6:30.

But as an aside, 11:00 pm is not late for Madrid. Metros and streets will have lots of people in them. But if you're just going to hop on a bus or train to Pamplona the next morning, this might be less of a hassle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thank you, my only plans for Madrid was some pre Camino shopping, which I can do in Pamplona , a SIM card, and Altus poncho, a 0630 arrival gives me plenty of time to shop:)

Regards Frank

Hi, Frank,

Good plan -- so long as you can get some shut-eye on the bus! Like others have said, the buses in Spain are usually much more comfortable than what we get in the US. Are you going to start walking in Pamplona on your day of arrival? Now that would be pushing my limits! Laurie

p.s. I remember just seeing recently a posting about a new equipment store in Pamplona, with Altus ponchos and everything, have you seen that?

ffp13 said:
Thank you, my only plans for Madrid was some pre Camino shopping, which I can do in Pamplona , a SIM card, and Altus poncho, a 0630 arrival gives me plenty of time to shop:)

Regards Frank

Frank , not sure now what exact time my 'Night Bus' was , I think your only concern will be weather the ticket office will be open at T4. it stands to reason that it will be as there are dozens of busses dropping in to T4 all the time , even at midnight , with destinations all over Spain.

Ahh , and what you need to know is that there is a Change at Zaragoza. The Bus is confusingly for Logono so you could be handed two tickects.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

whether the ticket office will be open at T4
It is a ticket machine, actually, but the driver can sell tickets as well. I think the machine takes credit cards and cash.

Thanks again for the added advice,

I have travelled on the Spanish buses several times, but never the US buses. I saw the recent post on the new pilgrim shop in Pamplona it sounds more promising than many of the other stores that I have seen there ( more for tourist pilgrims than serious walkers ) what time do the ticket windows close at the Madrid bus terminal?

If you want to buy your bus tickets online, try this site: https://www.movelia.es/en/index.html

I'd had better luck with movelia than with Alsa when using a US credit card.

Nancy
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the link. I just checked it. I have had a quote from International Rail in Australia for train tickets from Atocha to Pamplona and it works out cheaper than the bus. I don't know if it is safe to buy the rail tickets through International Rail in Australia so if there are any Aussies reading this maybe you could tell me. Sriyantra

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the link. I just checked it. I have had a quote from International Rail in Australia for train tickets from Atocha to Pamplona and it works out cheaper than the bus. I don't know if it is safe to buy the rail tickets through International Rail in Australia so if there are any Aussies reading this maybe you could tell me. Sriyantra
hi there, I'm just looking for the same thing...bus/train from Madrid to Pamplona, how did you get on? was it safe buying your ticket in Australia.

Hi Nancy,

I buy mine directly through the Renfre site - and avoid getting kidnapped by RailEurope. RailEurope and other agencies seem to cost far more.

This is the direct website:

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Trains are almost never full. Buses can fill, so a reservation may be useful, particularly from the airport. I used PayPal for my last bus ticket from the Madrid airport to Pamplona. Transactions are secure. You may need to notify your credit card company that there will be a transaction from Spain. For security reasons they often reject foreign transactions.

€46,-
I buy mine directly through the Renfre site - and avoid getting kidnapped by RailEurope. RailEurope and other agencies seem to cost far more.

This is the direct website:

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/
Thanks Kanga. I did go through International Rail and was happy with their price. They emailed the tickets to me so in my non planning style I am organised!!! It's funny but I am not phased by the walking part it's just getting to the starting gate that I want things to go smoothly. I do trust that I am meant to do this, but I also have a healthy respect that life can send a curly one at any time. Buen Camino

hi there, I'm just looking for the same thing...bus/train from Madrid to Pamplona, how did you get on? was it safe buying your ticket in Australia.
Hi Pippa, I went through International Rail. The quote was just a few euros more than was quoted on RENFE which wouldn't let me book, and I tried numerous times. The only difference is I would have liked to have gone on the mid morning train but International Rail could only offer the 7.35am service. We are early risers anyway so it wasn't a big problem for us and we are staying about 1.1/2km away from the station so we will probably walk there. I have been told that there was no need to book that we could just get a ticket at the station.....but.....I like to have some things organised in advance and this was one of them.

International Rail gave me the quote, I rang and paid by Visa over the phone and they emailed our tickets. It clearly shows Renfe on the ticket so I am trusting that everything will be OK when we get to Atocha. As I said to Kanga, it is all the ancillary travel bits that are concerning not the actual walking that phases me!
International Rail email is contactus@internationalrail.com.au

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is a video explaining step by step how to go from Madrid to SJPDP

This is REALLY helpful to watch. Thanks! But when I go to actually book a train ticket, once I'm past the first page it reverts to all Spanish. Dang! Am I missing something?

Hi Nancy,

I have bought tickets three times from Eurorail Australia and no problems. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back