• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Madrid to Sevilla

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
I am arriving in Madrid at 5.30 PM, and am hoping I can take an overnight bus from there to Sevilla. can anyone help with finding the appropriate bus timetable to see if this is possible. Also what times the ticket office at the bus depot would keep?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Alan,
The bus company that runs the Madrid-Sevilla route is Socibus. You can find the timetable at http://www.socibus.es
Depending on the day of the week, it looks like you have buses leaving at 10 pm, 11 pm (some days), midnight, and 1 am. It's a 6 hour bus ride, cost is about 19 E.

There are fast trains (AVE) at 8, 9 and 10 pm that would get you there in 2 1/2 hours. And if you buy your ticket online in advance, the cost can be as little as 30 E.

Are you going to walk the Vdlp? Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie

Thanks for your reply to my query. Yes, I am walking the VDLP, beginning April 1st next year, and I have followed your postings with great interest! I paid for my ticket and travel insurance yesterday, at a considerable saving compared to last year [AUS $2000, CAN $1800 this year]. On my outward journey it will take me 6 hours to get to Sydney, where I will stay in the new youth hostel, which overlooks the harbour and the Opera House, and which will help me get used to the albergue experience again. Then my plane leaves Sydney at 9AM, and lands in Madrid 34 hours later, after an overnight stay in Seoul on the way.

Buen camino

Alan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Alan,
Are you kidding us?
Have you really bought your ticket 10 months in advance?
And are you already genuinely concerned about such details as the departure time of the bus from Madrid to Sevilla?

Where is your sponteneity?
How about joyfully embracing the unexpected.

Actually though, pilgrims who are as prepared as you can be a blessing when a question or quandry does arise.

Enjoy your preparations.
David, Victoria, Canada

Hi there
Well done Alan its great to get the air flight bargains from Australia- We often wait for the November "specials" as we too have been to Europe in their spring/our autumn- albeit only once every 2 years -jetlag can be a problem !!!. I would be interested to know if you do book the train in advance, where and when you will pick the ticket up from- however it will probably be only within 2-3 months that you can book.
Cheers Jill

To Alan!
I plan to start from Sevilla 29.04.11 - and I too have booked my airflight from Norway to Spain and back already. I do not feel ashamed of that nor for having shecked up bus or train possibilities from my aeroporto to Seville.
Most of us pilgrims cannot afford to pay for fullprice tickets and there ends my spontanity.
By the way, how many of us can do a walk for 6 weeks without a bit of planning, leave work, family etc. unexpected???
randi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alan, my last post was meant for David!
Enjoy your planning. You will be a month ahead of me and I hope to hear from you a long the way.
Randi

I guess what was missing in my note was an encouraging tone of "You do it your way, I'll do it mine." and neither way is wrong. Just do it!

There was a man on the Via de la Plata this spring who's constant worrying was tiresome. He had a travel agency book him hotels and arrange for his pack to be delivered each day for the first week or 10 days. He knew it was a crutch, and spoke of doing a "real" pilgrimage when his reservations ran out.

Just the decision to eat lunch was a burden. At about 11:00 am he would ask where I itended to have lunch. "Next village" was my off hand reply. Then he would get into the details... "Oh, you know there is a cafe in the next village?" "No, but if there is, I'll think about lunch there."
"But what if there isn't a cafe?" "We'll have to go to the second village..." He was perplexed that he didn't know where lunch would be, and I was no help.

One evening I joined a table of pilgrims in a cafe just before supper hour. "Where are you having dinner?" he asked. "Probably right here." I said, without really thinking about it. "But there are two cafe's in town." he replied. "So...?"I asked. "How do you know this one is better?" he queried.
"I don't", I shrugged. "But what if the other one is better...?" I thought my escape was to say I would eat where ever the others ate, but this only made things worse. Then he had to have the same conversation with everyone at the table!

I had pity on him, because his fretting bordered on pathological. While I was mildly annoyed, I also had compassion because his indecisiveness was truly crippling.

He walked with us while he was on his prepared itinerary, but he disappeared as soon as his reservations ran out. I'll never know how he finally made out.

Alan's detailed planning brought back memories of this insecure pilgrim. "There is a train to Sevilla you know" "How do you know the bus is better?" Not that Alan is this messed up.

And as I said in my previous note, sometimes it is convenient to ride on the coat tails of well prepared pilgrims.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi all,

Whilst I agree that booking air fares well in advance is advisable to get the best prices, I do find it strange that people need to know in advance details of bus journeys, how to get tickets, etc. A few years back I travelled from Australia to England through 20 countries over 2 years, all by land and ferry except for flights to and from Bangkok/Myanmar and Bangkok to Calcutta. I did not advance book a single hotel/hostel/backpacker accomodation, train, bus or ferry. Just relax and realise that the journey is the adventure, not the arrival.
Camino-David

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you kidding us?
Have you really bought your ticket 10 months in advance?

There are some of us who have work and family commitments (not to mention money) and because we have only limitied time allowed in Europe, unfortunately the only way to do bookings etc is to plan ahead. We need to know how long it is going to take us - within reason - so we don't get nabbed for overstaying and so that we can take advantage of the lower cost early bird fares. I took advantage of the early bird fare last time I went and yet it still cost me about 2,800 dollars and then I had insurance on top of that! That is why we, in the antipodes, seem to put in more planning than others! Added to that it usually takes a minimum of 24 hours flying time, without taking into account time spent in one of the "stopover airports" waiting for a connecting flight, which can be anything up to 12 hours and is usually a minimum of about 3-4hours! Time can be of the essence for us. Cheers, Janet

Alan Pearce said:
I am arriving in Madrid at 5.30 PM, and am hoping I can take an overnight bus from there to Sevilla. can anyone help with finding the appropriate bus timetable to see if this is possible. Also what times the ticket office at the bus depot would keep?

Alan

Hi,

Best choice is the AVE (High speed train), just 2 and a half hours to Seville.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back