• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Muxia (or Finisterre) to Santiago: quickest, least curvy, least likely to cause motion sickness)

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino primitivo April 24
I’ve been searching for a way to get back to Santiago and I need some advice.

I’m almost to Finisterre. I’d planned to walk back to Santiago but I just don’t have it in me. I’ve been walking for a month and honestly, the thought of going back the same route is just too much.

However, the though of getting on a bus, which, from what I’ve read, causes motion sickness in the best of us. I’m prone to it and I’m dreading the thought.

Has anyone done this recently? From what I can gather, the quickest route is from Muxia but how curvy is it? I can’t seem to pull up the route (on a map to get a visual) in Rome2rio or on the Monbus website.

I have time to walk to Muxia or I can catch the bus from Finisterre if there is a more direct route to Santiago.

Also, taxis are probably not a good option. They drive like a bat out of hell. It’s worse. Not to mention expensive.

And yes, I have Dramamine. It can only do so much. Believe me.

Thanks in advance.

Cat

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have taken the regular bus service from Finnisterre back to Santiago, but some time ago. It follows the coast for some distance before heading inland to Santiago. I don't remember it being particularly difficult, but I'm not someone who gets motion sickness. This year I took a bus tour to Finisterre and Muxia. It took a different, more direct, route on the return from Muxia to Santiago, but that is possible because it isn't picking up passengers.

Neither of these compare to the regular bus service from Fonfria to Sarria. The day my wife and I took it, the driver seemed determined to drive at the speed limit irrespective of the bends in the road that might have deterred a less determined driver from doing that.

I hope you find something that does work for you.

Hi Cat, Muxia is my favourite, but I purposely have left from Finnisterre twice because there are more options for bus departures. One year I caught the earliest bus and it was the milk run and it took forever and it was a curvy, windy trip. The last time I went I caught the earliest bus and it was an express and we were back to Santiago in just over an hour. Highway driving and relatively straight. My spanish is not great and I saw no indication that I was on an express bus. The bus ticket kiosk was closed the day before so I couldn't get any information. Just got lucky! I hope that it all works out for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve been searching for a way to get back to Santiago and I need some advice.

I’m almost to Finisterre. I’d planned to walk back to Santiago but I just don’t have it in me. I’ve been walking for a month and honestly, the thought of going back the same route is just too much.

However, the though of getting on a bus, which, from what I’ve read, causes motion sickness in the best of us. I’m prone to it and I’m dreading the thought.

Has anyone done this recently? From what I can gather, the quickest route is from Muxia but how curvy is it? I can’t seem to pull up the route (on a map to get a visual) in Rome2rio or on the Monbus website.

I have time to walk to Muxia or I can catch the bus from Finisterre if there is a more direct route to Santiago.

Also, taxis are probably not a good option. They drive like a bat out of hell. It’s worse. Not to mention expensive.

And yes, I have Dramamine. It can only do so much. Believe me.

Thanks in advance.

Cat
I got the bus recently from Muxia to Santiago and it was a perfectly fine journey in a very good bus from Monbus.

Hi Cat, Muxia is my favourite, but I purposely have left from Finnisterre twice because there are more options for bus departures. One year I caught the earliest bus and it was the milk run and it took forever and it was a curvy, windy trip. The last time I went I caught the earliest bus and it was an express and we were back to Santiago in just over an hour. Highway driving and relatively straight. My spanish is not great and I saw no indication that I was on an express bus. The bus ticket kiosk was closed the day before so I couldn't get any information. Just got lucky! I hope that it all works out for you.
That is lucky. I’ve searched but haven’t seen a route from Finisterre that’s less than 3 hours. I have a plan, now, to take the bus from Muxia, which looks like it travels more on highways. I’m hopping off the bus in Negreira for the night and will walk into Santiago from there. That gives me only one hour on the bus. I’m feeling good about.

Thanks for your input!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
However, the though of getting on a bus, which, from what I’ve read, causes motion sickness in the best of us.
In June I took the bus (Monbus?) from Muxia to Finisterre and on to Santiago. I was unaware of its reputation, and never noticed the slightest curviness or nausea-inducing tendency. It was perfectly normal.

Just wanted to follow up. Took the bus from muxia to Santiago today. It’s was fine. Very smooth. Not too curvy. And took about hour and a half. Easy peasy.

I will add, it’s wise to buy your ticket in advance. There were people who were not able to fit on the bus and had to stay behind. People with tickets boarded first. But there was a bit of chaos while the angry bus driver sorted it all out.

One last thing, I bought the ticket for Muxia to Negreira, planning to spend the night there and walk into Santiago the next day. But we zoomed right past Negreira before I realized what had happened. There was nothing to be done at that point. I don’t think she would have turned around, and I sure wasn’t going to ask! I rode on into Santiago. Oh well. Happy to be here!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wanted to follow up. Took the bus from muxia to Santiago today. It’s was fine. Very smooth. Not too curvy. And took about hour and a half. Easy peasy.

I will add, it’s wise to buy your ticket in advance. There were people who were not able to fit on the bus and had to stay behind. People with tickets boarded first. But there was a bit of chaos while the angry bus driver sorted it all out.

One last thing, I bought the ticket for Muxia to Negreira, planning to spend the night there and walk into Santiago the next day. But we zoomed right past Negreira before I realized what had happened. There was nothing to be done at that point. I don’t think she would have turned around, and I sure wasn’t going to ask! I rode on into Santiago. Oh well. Happy to be here!
Can you tell me where you bought the bus ticket in advance? Thanks

It’s easy to buy a ticket online at monbus’ website. There are now buses from Finisterre to Santiago with no stops, avoiding all the meandering along the coastal towns. My impression is that as long as there are enough pilgrims to fill up a bus, they will do a direct route. Last week, there were two full buses of pilgrims and they both went straight to Santiago. I don’t know whether they ran a bus with the 2.5 hour route, but that’s more likely to be of interest to locals going to one of the small coastal places from Finisterre, or between those towns.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back