• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Pamplona to St Jean

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We need to take the bus Sept 7th. We arrive by train around 11:00 am. There is a bus leaving at 2:30 (about). That is the bus we need to arrive in St. Jean at 4:30pm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Should I get the bus tickets from Pamplona to St. Jean in advance? Or get the tickets when we arrive by train in Pamplona?

Hi Jo, if you’re pretty sure you want that bus, go ahead and book it. Alsa buses fill up frequently.
Jill

I take no chances now, if I know which bus I want to get. For example, the Alsa bus I booked from Madrid to Leon in May was full. My sister met me at Madrid airport and she had to get the next bus, which she said was also then full. Several times my bus from Santiago to Porto has been full.
Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do they, Jill?
I've always taken a taxi with a group.
I didn't think the buses would fill up that fast.
I arranged a taxi ahead of time from Pamplona to SJPdP this past April as there are fewer buses running at that time. We were picked up in a small car with a young man as driver. He was very hyped up in personality and acted like a race car driver trying to win! It was a very scary hour and a half riding with him on the twisty roads with almost no shoulder. I hung on for dear life and even shrieked a few times, but he was oblivious to me. He was on a mission to get us to the finish line. I sighed with great relief when we finally arrived and wondered if there are ever accidents on that mountainous road transporting pilgrims daily to SJPdP. It was a white knuckle horror experience for me....maybe I just had a truly "crazy" driver!

I arranged a taxi ahead of time from Pamplona to SJPdP this past April as there are fewer buses running at that time. We were picked up in a small car with a young man as driver. He was very hyped up in personality and acted like a race car driver trying to win! It was a very scary hour and a half riding with him on the twisty roads with almost no shoulder. I hung on for dear life and even shrieked a few times, but he was oblivious to me. He was on a mission to get us to the finish line. I sighed with great relief when we finally arrived and wondered if there are ever accidents on that mountainous road transporting pilgrims daily to SJPdP. It was a white knuckle horror experience for me....maybe I just had a truly "crazy" driver!

:p Like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, huh?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are there other ways to get from Pamplona to SJPdP besides the bus? We are arriving in Pamplona too late for a bus and will have to stay in Pamplona for the night. But the earliest bus the next day arrives in SJPdP at 11:45 am. I'd rather not leave for Orisson that late, but don't want to lose another day either.

Are there other ways to get from Pamplona to SJPdP besides the bus? We are arriving in Pamplona too late for a bus and will have to stay in Pamplona for the night. But the earliest bus the next day arrives in SJPdP at 11:45 am. I'd rather not leave for Orisson that late, but don't want to lose another day either.

Why not spend a night in Pamplona and enjoy the city. That way, when you walk back through and every pilgrim in the world is staying there, you can stop short at Trinidad de Arre, or walk on through to one of the villages before Perdon!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why not spend a night in Pamplona and enjoy the city. That way, when you walk back through and every pilgrim in the world is staying there, you can stop short at Trinidad de Arre,
I suggest St. Stephens in Zabaldika, one of the best places we stayed on a 66 day Camino. So now you know we were slow but it was just a three hour walk for us to the cathedral in Pamplona. We toured Pamplona on our way back home.

Why not spend a night in Pamplona and enjoy the city. That way, when you walk back through and every pilgrim in the world is staying there, you can stop short at Trinidad de Arre, or walk on through to one of the villages before Perdon!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we will stay in Pamplona for the night but the first bus to SJPdP the next day is not until 10 am arriving at 1145 am. Just feeling a bit concerned about departing for Orisson so late in the day as we'll need to stop in at the Pilgrim Office before heading out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your reply. Yes, we will stay in Pamplona for the night but the first bus to SJPdP the next day is not until 10 am arriving at 1145 am. Just feeling a bit concerned about departing for Orisson so late in the day as we'll need to stop in at the Pilgrim Office before heading out.

If you have reservations at Orisson, it will only take you a few hours to arrive there.
Why not see SJPP, which is lovely, and start fresh next morning?

If you do NOT have reservations at Orisson, I would never leave SJPP for Roncesvalles after noon.
That's cutting it short, in my opinion.
It would be frightening to get caught on the trail in the dark.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have reservations at Orisson, it will only take you a few hours to arrive there.
Why not see SJPP, which is lovely, and start fresh next morning?

If you do NOT have reservations at Orisson, I would never leave SJPP for Roncesvalles after noon.
That's cutting it short, in my opinion.
It would be frightening to get caught on the trail in the dark.
We have reservations for the same day at Orisson. I'm sure we'll be fine, just thinking that there won't be many others leaving after noon and our first day walking after flying from Vancouver. Last minute jitters I suppose... I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Thank you.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Help Please!
I am booking (very late I know) to fly out of South Africa on Tuesday 4 Feb, to leave SJPdP on Thursday 6 Feb or Friday 7 Feb. I hoped to fly to Madrid, train to Pamplona, bus to SJPdP. However, it seems there are no buses from Pamplona. Is it because it is February? I am travelling alone so taxi fare is a bit steep. Bouricott also doesn't seem to go to SJPdP in Feb from Bayonne.

Recommendations to stop in Valcarlos on the first day out?

I intend walking to Burgos then returning via Madrid.

Any suggestions will be welcome

I am booking (very late I know) to fly out of South Africa on Tuesday 4 Feb, to leave SJPdP on Thursday 6 Feb or Friday 7 Feb.
Consider the busline PLM Autocares. They have a bus on their schedule that goes to Pekotxeta, a village on the border with France at Arneguy. They are almost the same town. The camino passes through Arneguy. You can walk the camino in reverse for 8.4 km (two or three hours) to SJPdP or start from there and walk 3.3 km to Valcarlos. At this time of year I don't think you really don't have time to safely walk the additional 12 km from Valcarlos to Roncevalles.

The PLM Autocares bus line leaves from the Pamplona bus station twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, leaving at 11:00 AM and scheduled to stop at Valcarlos at 12:30 and Pekotxeta at 12:45. See the schedule at
https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/
www.plmautocares.com

Horarios - PLM Autocares
Consulta todos los horarios que te ofrecemos en PLM Autocares entre Madrid - Logroño y Pamplona.
www.plmautocares.com
www.plmautocares.com

I am booking (very late I know) to fly out of South Africa on Tuesday 4 Feb, to leave SJPdP on Thursday 6 Feb or Friday 7 Feb.
Also, there is year-round (almost daily) service from Pamplona to Roncesvalles on Autocares Artieda.
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rick, it is so kind of you to take the time to research and help others. Where would the forum be without people like you! It was a pleasure for me to meet you in Barcelona last October. Wishing you a healthy, happy...and witty 2020!

Help Please!
I am booking (very late I know) to fly out of South Africa on Tuesday 4 Feb, to leave SJPdP on Thursday 6 Feb or Friday 7 Feb. I hoped to fly to Madrid, train to Pamplona, bus to SJPdP. However, it seems there are no buses from Pamplona. Is it because it is February? I am travelling alone so taxi fare is a bit steep. Bouricott also doesn't seem to go to SJPdP in Feb from Bayonne.

Recommendations to stop in Valcarlos on the first day out?

I intend walking to Burgos then returning via Madrid.

Any suggestions will be welcome

Take Renfe Cercanias from Madrid airport to Chamartin then take the Renfe train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye. Take Donostialdea Metro from Irun Colon to Gare d'Hendaye if your Renfe train terminates in Irun Renfe station.

Alternatively take ALSA bus from Madrid Airport or Avenida de America to San Sebastian. Then take Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun. San Sebastian bus and renfe station are co-located.

Take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP.

The train from Bayonne to SJPdP runs 4 or 5 times daily all year. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP doesn't run in winter months.

There are flights from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is 3 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

I started the Norte in San Sabastian as I didn't really want to take an extra bus to Irun and I'd heard it wasn't as interesting a city anyway. My mama used to say "You don't miss what you don't know". I don't consider myself a purist and had the time to spend an extra day in beautiful San Sabastian.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back