• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from San Juan de Ortega, or Villafranca montes de Oca to Burgos

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi, I am planning to finish my walk in Atapuerca and need to get to Burgos by bus to catch another bus to Bilbao for the airport. I've been searching for hours and I can't find anything. I've searched as far back as Villafranca montes de oca where there must be a bus as it's so near the main road but nothing comes up when I search. There are some links from a few years ago but none of them work. Please, has anyone got any ideas? I've looked at the Jiminez bus site but can't work it out at all. Help!
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walk roughly 6 km from Atapuerta to Quintanpalla following road BU V 7012 and then get bus to Burgos.
See www.Rome2Rio.com for more info.

Last edited:
Hi, I am planning to finish my walk in Atapuerca and need to get to Burgos by bus to catch another bus to Bilbao for the airport. I've been searching for hours and I can't find anything. I've searched as far back as Villafranca montes de oca where there must be a bus as it's so near the main road but nothing comes up when I search. There are some links from a few years ago but none of them work. Please, has anyone got any ideas? I've looked at the Jiminez bus site but can't work it out at all. Help!
Thank you!
Hope this will help: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Atapuerca/Burgos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, that is very helpful. Now I need to find out the timetable from Quintanapalla. I was thinking of getting a taxi to Villafria and then the bus because I know there are frequent buses from there - but it's quite a long way and may be expensive. I need to catch a bus from Burgos at 10.00 am.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Now I need to find out the timetable from Quintanapalla. I was thinking of getting a taxi to Villafria and then the bus because I know there are frequent buses from there - but it's quite a long way and may be expensive. I need to catch a bus from Burgos at 10.00 am.
Hi @marigold
Have you funds to get taxi from Atapuerca to Burgos station ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks both of you. I just looked at the Soto y Alonso timetable and it is not on Saturdays. I suppose I'll have to get a taxi, but I could get it just to Villafria… I'm sure it will work out!

I'm pretty sure that there are regular buses along the N120 to Burgos. One option is to walk down to Zalduendo and get the bus from there. I found a timetable a couple of weeks ago, I'll try and post it but also the locals in San Juan or Atapuerca will probably be able to help you with advice. I'm pretty sure it went through villafranca too so you could check times there too.

Another possibility, thanks. Villafria is on the N1 and Zalduendo the N120. So different directions. I really need to check before I go because there are so few buses and it will be a Saturday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks but I think that's a bit difficult way out there. I may just finish a day earlier in Villafranca . Surely I will be able to get a bus from there. The Jiminez bus goes from Santo Domingo but that's too early...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you!

I took a bus from Villafranca to Burgos-picks up on the main road and drops off st Burgos bus station. Cheap too

I took a bus from Villafranca to Burgos-picks up on the main road and drops off st Burgos bus station. Cheap too
Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing. Do you just flag the bus down and pay on the bus? Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walk roughly 6 km from Atapuerta to Quintanpalla following road BU V 7012 and then get bus to Burgos.
See www.Rome2Rio.com for more info.
Thanks, that was a great website and a good idea. I've checked it out and the bus is every 3 hours and not on a Saturday, and not on the Friday evening. So I think I'll get a bus from Villafranca earlier.

Good luck. We were told to wait at a bus stop on a Saturday and a few buses came by that were full. It was awful. May 2017. It was very cold and rainy that day. We made it on the third bus.
Oh dear! Which bus stop was that? Glad you finally made it..

If all else fails, you can take a taxi from Atapuerca to Burgos. That's what I did earlier this year - it is a bit pricey (I believe about 30-40 euro), but if you are with a few other people and split the cost, it makes the cost more reasonable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you![/QUOTEwe got a bus from here to Burgos in July 2016 and a bus back the following year from Burgos. I think for some reason we had to be there around 2.30 in the afternoon to get this bus. The timetable was on the bus shelter unfortunately I cannot at the min remember the bus company but it’s def doable

Thank you!

We walked from San Juan de Ortega down the BU-V-7012 to the N-120 and caught the regular bus at Zalduendo into Burgos. It’s about the same distance as walking to Ataouerca from San Juan de Ortega. It’s a bit lonely - no pilgrims - but we had no trouble at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for that. I will try to find a timetable from Zalduendo

Thanks for that. I will try to find a timetable from Zalduendo
The timetable is displayed in the bus stop and there is a bar/restaurant across the street and they know all the schedules. They don’t speak much English, but they were really quite helpful. You can also get a taxi to come and pick you up there, but it’s probably more pricey than the bus. The bus takes you to the central station which is like a 10 minute walk to the historic area near the cathedral.

From Atapuerca to Burgos and arrive before 10 am? To me, that will be too hurried and stressful -and too many eventualities to consider. I'd arrive at Atapuerca, call it a (final) day , then calmly look for the bus to Burgos and sleep in this wonderful city.

€149,-
Yes, thanks for the advice, I am planning to stop one day earlier!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back