• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Santarem to Fatima and then from Fatima to Tomar?

Corrine Maira

Time of past OR future Camino
Saint Jean to Santiago ( 2018)
I am planning to walk from Lisbon to Santaram. Is there a bus from Santarem to Fatima? Is there a bus from Fatima to Tomar?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In early April 2019 I did the same thing. I stayed in Santarem the night before and took the afternoon bus to Fatima because I missed the morning bus. It is an easy walk to the bus station. I got a map of Santarem at the hostel which showed where the bus station was.

Upon arriving in Fatima at the bus station I stopped at the souvinier shop near the bus station and got a map of Fatima. You will be two blocks away from the Basilica so it is an easy walk.

There are two albergues near the Basilica and I stayed at the parish one which is north of the cathedral on the map. The other one is west of the cathedral. There is a plaque near the door with a phone number to call to get in. It is donativo so please be considerate. I was the only one there the second night, the first night there was a young woman with me.

To get to Tomar you will return to the bus station at Fatima and take the bus to Tomar. The bus will pull over in Tomar and you will walk a short walk to Tomar Hostel or whichever you choose and resume your camino.

Many blessings,
Trish

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Trish,. Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Do you remember the morning bus times? Do you think one night in Fatima is enough or two nights? I'd like to take an early morning bus out of Santaram and have a whole day. Then leave on an early bus to Tomar. 1 or 2 days, do you think?

Took the morning bus to Fatima, Sept 2019, arrived about 9:00am, from Tomar.
One full day is enough to walk the entire Fatima site, attend Mass at the Basilica and see all the buildings. Buses run from Fatima in all directions, with great connections, due to the constant stream of Portuguese visitors into and out of Fatima. There are also some nice pilgrim trails from Tomar to Fatima (about 30km), that appear on regional maps of the area. Met a Pilgrim who took 3 days to walk from Tomar to Fatima, spent a day there, then walked back to Tomar and carried on with the Caminho Portuguese. I opted for the bus ride after talking with him.
Cheers and Bom Caminho!

I am planning to walk from Lisbon to Santaram. Is there a bus from Santarem to Fatima? Is there a bus from Fatima to Tomar?
Why not simply walk from Santarem to Fatima and then from Fatima to Tomar. It is a well marked route with loads of services and Albergues. Santarem to Fatima takes two days and to Tomar, one. It is a beautiful route and well worth doing. Try it, you won't regret it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Meant to also add that the basilica in Fatima has it's own donativo albergue. One of the only one I know that gives you a pack on arrival with starched heavy cotton sheets and pillowcase and pure white bath towel

Trish,. Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Do you remember the morning bus times? Do you think one night in Fatima is enough or two nights? I'd like to take an early morning bus out of Santaram and have a whole day. Then leave on an early bus to Tomar. 1 or 2 days, do you think?
Hi Corrine,

I don't remember the morning time, but the afternoon was around 3:00 pm. When the man that registered me saw that I walked from Lisbon he allowed me to stay for two nights. It is a donativo and I was sure to give.

There is a tour ride that meets outside the southern end of the property and goes to the village of the children and where the Blessed Mother appeared and is worth taking. The museum is free and worth visiting. There is a booklet near the information booth that tells the pilgrim information that will help you. I spent a whole day just walking and going to mass there. Bom Caminho

Bus information
From Santarem to Fatima at 10:45 arrives 11:30 cost is 9.10€ (Express Bus)
From Fatima to Santarem at 17:45 arrives 18:30 cost is 9.10€ (Express Bus)
All days timetable
More info visit https://www.rede-expressos.pt/
From Fatima to Tomar:
Several options available private and public. I have choosed public transport no costs available online, but cheaper for sure:
Departure 15:04 Arrival 16:00
Departure 18:45 Arrival 19:40
Timetable for weekdays
More info visit http://www.rodotejo.pt/
Bom Caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back