• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Santiago to Burgos

mthomson

This will be my first Camino and I will be flying into Santiago on June 17th. I want to take a bus from Santiago to Burgos. Does anyone know if there is a bus from Santiago to Burgos and if so does it leave from the airport or do I have to get it from the city? Also, if I have to go into the city, do you know if there is a bus to there also or do I have to take a cab?

Thank you for any info you can share.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is an ALSA bus that leaves Santiago at 23h15 and arrives in Burgos at 06h15: Costs 37.01 euro
It leaves from PLAZA CAMILO DIAZ BALIÑO.
You can get a bus from the airport to Santiago and get the ALSA bus from there.

There is also a daily train that leaves at 9h04 and arrives in Burgos at 16h42 and costs 38.20 euro.

OK, now I'm thinking of walking from Roncesvalles. Yea, I know, I can't make up my mind.

I was only going to walk from Burgos because I am arriving on June 17th and want to be in Santiago on July 25th and didn' think I would have enough time to walk the whole Camino I'm not the fastest walker, but think I can do 10 to 12 miles a day....albiet slowly.

Now I am wondering how do I get to Pampalona and then to Roncesvalles. I fly into Santiago, with a connecting flight in Barcellona. Do I get off in Barcellona and take a train/bus to Pampalona or go all the way to Santiago and take a train/bus to Pampalona.

Also, do you think a slow walker can make it from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 37 days and still get to enjoy the beautiful countryside.

Thank you so much for your help!

Marilyn from Montana who can't make up her mind!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Marilyn,
Mother Hen has given you helpful details; which is exactly what you get on this site!
Here's my thinking.....you're getting enthused.......do some training....walk 5km per day...visit your local pool & swim a few lengths OR simply thread water.
I think if everything goes in you favour with you might manage Camino Francs, but you are the best judge of that. Injury, fatigue etc may strike, and then???
If following all your research and planning you decide to do this and you are falling behind, then hop on the bus.
I say all this because you are travelling a long way from Montana and spending a considerable amount of time in Europe.It may be your only oppurtunity. It depends on your goal.
Continue to read the posts here and the different threads / caminos.

Buen Camino

Brian

Thank you for your reply, Brian. I am already doing approx 6 miles of walking per day and on weekends more. I just don't know if that time frame will be enough time to do the whole Camino and also take time out to spend a night or two in some town I find of interest. I also am not sure about transportation to Pampallona. If you have any information about transport, I would be grateful.

Thank you for your time and expertise,

Marilyn

If you already have your plane ticket the "getting off in Barcelona" option is probably not available. Your failure to get on the connecting flight will result in the cancellation of the remainder of your reservation, including the return from Santiago to home. If you don't have your ticket it would be easier and faster to fly into Biarritz rather than Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Jeff for that information. I had no idea that it would cancel my return flight if I got off in Barcelona. I guess I am committed to go into Santiago as I do already have a ticket to there.

Hmm, now I do have a dilema. Is it possible ( and within reason) to take a bus/train to Pampalona frome Santiago, and how long and expensive might that be.? Guess I should have made up my mind for sure before booking. Well, if it is too much I will go back to my plan A and start in Burgos.

Thank you for your help!

Marilyn

Hello Marilyn,
Welcome to the forum!
You may alaready have gottin this information by PM, but .... your travel issues aside, it is certainly possible to walk from Roncesvalles to santiago in 37 days. I did it in 30 days and while I didn't take "rest days" there were days when I walked a shorter distance than other days. And I am not a fst walked. I figured out about 3.5 km per hour with a fullj pack.
So, plane tickets and travel arrangements aside, the walking part is quite do-able.
Buen Camino,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Deidre,
I do think I will walk from Roncesvalles. Now, I need to figure out how to get there from Santiago. If anyone has any advise, please jump in. I thought getting a round trip to Santiago would be the easiest for me, but didn't think that one through all that well, ugh!
Is Mother Hen out there with any advise??

Thanks,
Marilyn

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back