• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Santiago to Madrid - need I worry?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Advice needed! SOS!

I want to go by bus from Santiago to Madrid the 28 of July, preferably in the evening. I have tried to buy ticket online - doesn't work. I tried their phone number (ALSA) - doesn't work.

My question is: does anyone know how crowded these busses are? Do I even need to reserve a ticket, or would it be possible to buy the ticket on board?

It is the night bus 21.30 - 06.30 between Santiago and Madrid. Of course I can go before or after that in the morning/evening, I don't mind, but 28 of July would be good.

So do I need to get a ticket before, to be sure, or not? Anyone familiar with this route?

Thanks! :0D

/Bad Pilgrim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Weeell I put in all info, destination, my name, credit card number, and push By, the last step... And the page shows a Wait-sign, or whatever. And nothing more happens.

I tried to book on my cellphone a few weeks ago, with ALSA, and the same thing happened. I waited for 15 minutes...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have never managed to book Alsa online the past few years, hehehe.
In May I took it from Sdc to Madrid (the same timing as yours). I actually walked to the bus station earlier in the day to get the tickets (just in case). In the end it was only half full (you don't need to make 2 trips) although there are a couple of people disembarking/embarking along the way to Madrid.
I took Alsa twice on my trip. Both times the ticket booth were not opened (even during normal working hours). Both times I bought the tickets from the machine next to the booth. Paid cash (they gave change) as my Visa doesn't seems to work with Alsa.

Have never managed to book Alsa online the past few years, hehehe.
In May I took it from Sdc to Madrid (the same timing as yours). I actually walked to the bus station earlier in the day to get the tickets (just in case). In the end it was only half full (you don't need to make 2 trips) although there are a couple of people disembarking/embarking along the way to Madrid.
I took Alsa twice on my trip. Both times the ticket booth were not opened (even during normal working hours). Both times I bought the tickets from the machine next to the booth. Paid cash (they gave change) as my Visa doesn't seems to work with Alsa.

Ok! So it is possible to by the ticket from a booth or at least from a machine at the bus station in Santiago? I would very much like to get hold of the tickets before...

Bp

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bad Pilgrim...I believe there is a ticket service at the Oficina de Peregrinos by Alsa.
Good luck.

Ok but... The Pilgrim Office *shudder*... I haven't been there for the last ten years... Isn't that where you have to stand in line for like five hours? But thanks for the info, I will go there to check it out... Perhaps...

Ok but... The Pilgrim Office *shudder*... I haven't been there for the last ten years... Isn't that where you have to stand in line for like five hours? But thanks for the info, I will go there to check it out... Perhaps.

Have faith BP....a guard will show you the right direction...:).no need to mingle with us the plebs...joking joking...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took the train from SdC to Madrid. Got tickets at the Pilgrim's Reception Office. Easy, fast and (in my opinion) much preferred over a bus.
Buen Camino!
--jim--

Oh, I know it's faster... I am just worried it would be so much more expensive. But I will check it out, thanks!

BP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Bad Pilgrim: the ticket office at the Pilgrims' Office does not require standing in the Compostela line and as far as I know there is no price differential. Staff (in my experience) speak English and are helpful. The bus station in Santiago is sometimes not staffed and you will need to buy your ticket from a machine with a not-easy-to-understand menu. Online booking with Alsa does provide you with access to discounts but I've never been able to figure it out.

With a little perusing on the internet, and using tomorrow's date (Saint James' Day) for SdC to Madrid, I found the bus price to be 48€ and the train about 58€. Some of the trains were "completo" though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Advice needed! SOS!

I want to go by bus from Santiago to Madrid the 28 of July, preferably in the evening. I have tried to buy ticket online - doesn't work. I tried their phone number (ALSA) - doesn't work.

My question is: does anyone know how crowded these busses are? Do I even need to reserve a ticket, or would it be possible to buy the ticket on board?

It is the night bus 21.30 - 06.30 between Santiago and Madrid. Of course I can go before or after that in the morning/evening, I don't mind, but 28 of July would be good.

So do I need to get a ticket before, to be sure, or not? Anyone familiar with this route?

/Bad Pilgrim
I took that bus in May 2016. I had enough time to purchase in the early afternoon and it was not a problem for me. The bus was half full and was pretty well filled up after leavin La Coruna. The bus stops in Central Madrid bus depot and then terminates at the airport. I hope that helps.
Don

took that bus in May 2016. I had enough time to purchase in the early afternoon and it was not a problem for me. The bus was half full and was pretty well filled up after leavin La Coruna. The bus stops in Central Madrid bus depot and then terminates at the airport. I hope that helps.
Don

The normal train has a similar price to the bus. The (very) expensive one in the trenhotel, which you buy a cabin with a bunk bed and a shower. I travelled in it in 2015 from SdC to Madrid. It was too expensive for what it offered, but it was good to sleep on a real bed the entire night and get there clean - the experience was quite cool too. I'd not do that again though, as flights are way cheaper and quicker.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had trouble booking online last year, but then I downloaded their app and was able to complete the transaction.

I often found difficulty with the alsa website in the past, but two things that do work are the movelia site (where you can buy alsa tickets) online or the alsa app on phone.

Advice needed! SOS!

/Bad Pilgrim

If you are still on the Invierno, oh mystery pilgrim, you could always buy your tickets from Santiago at the bus station in Lalín. It is not far from the center.

Buen camino, laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are still on the Invierno, oh mystery pilgrim, you could always buy your tickets from Santiago at the bus station in Lalín. It is not far from the center.

Buen camino, laurie

Oh no,

I am in Silleda now! I should have read this earlier...

@Bad Pilgrim: the ticket office at the Pilgrims' Office does not require standing in the Compostela line and as far as I know there is no price differential. Staff (in my experience) speak English and are helpful. The bus station in Santiago is sometimes not staffed and you will need to buy your ticket from a machine with a not-easy-to-understand menu. Online booking with Alsa does provide you with access to discounts but I've never been able to figure it out.
That sounds good. I will be in Santiago the day after tomorrow to try it out! Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Advice needed! SOS!

/Bad Pilgrim
I caught the train which was great and hassle free to Madrid

Hi. I am a bit late into this thread but will add my info anyway. Train from sdc to Madrid is normally about 50 euro. But the one at 6am is a lot cheaper, I think 22 euro when I last checked. Buen camino all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I am a bit late into this thread but will add my info anyway. Train from sdc to Madrid is normally about 50 euro. But the one at 6am is a lot cheaper, I think 22 euro when I last checked. Buen camino all.

22 euros?? Holy smoke! I better check that one out...!

Oops. May have sold you a pup there. Just had a look on the Renfe app and it is quoting 35 for the 5.15 and the later ones are full. The 22 I saw was when I was looking a few months ahead. Sorry friend!! (Hangs head in shame)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bad Pilgrim
I have traveled by the Alsa overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid. It was a nightmare: every seat occupied and the bus was very hot. My ticket, bought at the Santiago bus depot earlier on the day of my departure, stated on it that it went to the airport. It did not. It terminated at the main bus depot, where the Alsa staff at the wicket had no idea why it was not going to the airport or whether there would be any bus going there at any time. Finally, someone at the bus station information desk said that I could get to the airport by the Cercanias train, which is what I did. Fortunately, I had several hours extra before my flight (connecting to Canada) left, or I would have had to pay a last minute price for a replacement ticket. I made my flight, with little time to spare. I was so exhausted that I was throwing up on the flight, a first for me. If you are not flying out the same morning and cost is critical, you might take the Alsa overnight bus, but I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Bad Pilgrim
I have traveled by the Alsa overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid. It was a nightmare: every seat occupied and the bus was very hot. My ticket, bought at the Santiago bus depot earlier on the day of my departure, stated on it that it went to the airport. It did not.... If you are not flying out the same morning and cost is critical, you might take the Alsa overnight bus, but I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck.

Thanks for the information! We are flying out of Madrid on the morning of Sept 11., AC back to Canada. How long ago did you have this awful experience?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oops. May have sold you a pup there. Just had a look on the Renfe app and it is quoting 35 for the 5.15 and the later ones are full. The 22 I saw was when I was looking a few months ahead. Sorry friend!! (Hangs head in shame)

Don't worry! I can do with 35! I am one greedy pilgrim...

@Bad Pilgrim
I have traveled by the Alsa overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid. It was a nightmare: every seat occupied and the bus was very hot. My ticket, bought at the Santiago bus depot earlier on the day of my departure, stated on it that it went to the airport. It did not. It terminated at the main bus depot, where the Alsa staff at the wicket had no idea why it was not going to the airport or whether there would be any bus going there at any time. Finally, someone at the bus station information desk said that I could get to the airport by the Cercanias train, which is what I did. Fortunately, I had several hours extra before my flight (connecting to Canada) left, or I would have had to pay a last minute price for a replacement ticket. I made my flight, with little time to spare. I was so exhausted that I was throwing up on the flight, a first for me. If you are not flying out the same morning and cost is critical, you might take the Alsa overnight bus, but I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck.

Oh, sorry to hear about your experience! That sounds bad. At least I don't have a plane to catch the same day, no...

... I wonder if I would be more successful with booking Renfe online, than I was with booking ALSA... I am at it right now... Please stop me if it is no use... :0o

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hiii everyone,

Sorry for bothering you with this thread... I got to Santiago today, went straight to the Pilgrim's Office, and... There was no one queing for bus tickets. So I got mine in just a minute. It was that easy...

Everyone else was lining up to get to the Mass in the cathedral... That is probably the reason why there were no pilgrims at the Office...! One of the advantages of skipping Mass... :OD

Thanks for your help! :O)

BP

This is likely too late but I have to go with JimGeier's advice and go by train. They have a service on overnight trains called, "TrenHotel." Beautiful. I took a late train from Logrono to A Coruna on May 15/18 at a cost of 60 euro. That provided an electric chair that went from regular sitting position to fully flat out reclining position. In addition, you are provided with a neat little sack with a blanket, ear plugs, ear phones, tooth brush, toothpaste, and a sleeping mask. I boarded at 1 AM and was in A Coruna at 8 AM, 7 hours of sleep and a 20 minute train to Santiago from there.

This too is likely a tad late, however, it maybe worth mentioning. I completed my Camino on 24th June and did not book my flight out of SDC as I didn't want to have a deadline. Long story short it was very busy time, flights were extremely expensive or booked out. My daughter surprised me booking me booking a flight out of Madrid at 6.30pm the next day thinking I'd have no trouble getting to Madrid by then. Normally I probably could have, however, as it was so busy the early morning train and bus were fully booked, I wasn't going to make the time. I was desperate and had to make that flight. Somehow I jagged a ride share company called Bla Bla car. It turned out absolutely wonderful. There was two other passengers, pilgrims who were in the same boat, desperate to get to Madrid and found Bla Bla car by chance. Our driver Francesco was great, it was an enjoyable trip with great conversation, arrived earlier and was half the price.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back