• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus from Santiago to the Airport Porto

Rieky

Hello,

We will walk with five lady's from Porto to Santiago in March.
Can you tell me if we can take bus or train to the airport back?
We have a hotel near the airport.
Rieky

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Rieky,

There is a bus from Santiago to Porto Airport (one a day leaving at 11:00am). Timetable\Prices can be found in the International section of the Alsa website here.

You can also get the train from Santiago to Vigo and then change for the International Train to Porto. There are two a day leaving 07:46 and 19:37 from Vigo. This arrives in Central Porto so you would need to get metro\taxi\bus out to your hotel. Details of the train here.

Regards
Mig

I recommend the bus from Santiago which stops at the airport on the way to Porto. We were warned not to take the train by friends who had done so and regretted it. I booked seats with Alsa on line but could not pay using any of our credit or debit cards. We live in England. However they do accept payment by Paypal. I am warning you of this because I had to phone Spain to find out why my cards "failed". The bus takes you to, or near, places you will have walked through on the caminho. "Bom caminho!) to you. Maricristina

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
maricristina said:
.....We were warned not to take the train by friends who had done so and regretted it......The bus takes you to, or near, places you will have walked through on the caminho
Just to say that the train journey is very scenic and also criss crosses the Camino Route and towns until at least the Poruguese border. The line then follows the Minho estuary and the coastline before returning inland to Porto. The train looks to be slightly cheaper (EUR 25 approx, compared to EUR 32.5 on the bus). Whilst there are quite a few trains daily between Santiago and Vigo there is the slightly inconvenient times of the two daily trains between Vigo and Porto.

I'm not sure if Mariacristina's friends had a particular problem on their train journey but I've used the train twice, once through to Porto and once to Redondela (for return to Vigo Airport) and would also recommend it, if it does fit with your overall schedule and flight times.

All the best with your planning. Nice dilemma to have - scenic bus or scenic train? :wink:
Regards
Mig

I will give the thumbs up to the train, I went to Porto from Santiago on it after my 1st camino. It may not be quick or even comfortable sometimes as it shuntles it way around northern Portugual but as it goes through the towns on the coast and the interior you get to see some truly beautiful sights as dusk sets in. You have a change over period in Vigo of 1 or 2 hours so you could use that do a little bit of sightseeing. It is more of an effort with the getting on and changing of metros in Porto, but i think it is worth it.

Dear Miguel, Maricristina and Mike,

Thank you for your worthfull information.
We will choose the best of the two when we are on the spot.
But we have much info at this moment.
Thanks again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No problem Rieky. The Portugues is a lovely Camino and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Not sure if you already have your accommodation sorted but if not and your group fancies pampering themselves for an hour or so, this hotel often has offers on at EUR 75 per night and includes double\twin room, breakfast and one hour thermal circuit (including experience showers, varying steam baths, relaxation chairs, hydromassage bath or outdoor hot tub). Alternatively you can stay in the Albergue and stick your feet under the thermal fountain in the centre of town for a fraction of the price.

Caldas de Reis is 2 days walk from Santiago so the spa sets you up nicely for the walk into town!

Mig

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back