• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Madrid - Ferrol

Tulle

Time of past OR future Camino
1999 Burgos-SDC, 2003 Leon-SDC, 2007-2012 Le Puy-SDC, 2014 Burgos-Covarrubias, Camino Ingles 3 times
In September I intend to walk Camino Ingles. My plane will arrive in Madrid about 22.30 so I thought a night bus to Ferrol would be nice. Somewhere I found a bus leaving from the airport around midnight, but now I can't find the site. I find a bus leaving Estacion de sur 00.30. Could it be the same bus? Will it be enough time to go from the airport to the Estacion? I hope for an answer from Castillian, he seems to know everything

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It may be the same bus. Do not know. But would suspect not the same bus.

Suggestion: why not spend the night in Madrid or two nights? see wonderful Madrid. Then head to Ferrol.

Walked the Ingles this April-May. Loved it. Actually liked it better than the Frances. May have been the lack of people on the trail that I liked vs Fances. And the wonderful people in that part of Spain.

What about taking train to SDC? Ferrol? Catch train at Chamartin station. Believe you catch Cercanias regional train C1 MAD>Chamartin.

https://www.raileurope.com/europe-t...n-station/madrid-chamartin-train-station.html

By the time you get off plane and get moving... buses, metro, etc runs may be fewer.

If needed I can give you the address of a great, very clean, place to stay in Madrid.

I stayed in the Silva Hotel in Ferrol. Clean. Nice staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere I found a bus leaving from the airport around midnight, but now I can't find the site

The bus is operated by Alsa and you can find it at the web of Alsa: www.alsa.es/en If by whatever reason the web of Alsa doesn't work for you, you can also purchase your tickets at the web of Movelia: www.movelia.es

I find a bus leaving Estacion de sur 00.30. Could it be the same bus?

Yes, it's the same bus. It departs from the airport at 23:59, it goes to Estación Sur de Autobuses and departs from Estación Sur de Autobuses to Ferrol next day at 00:30.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The bus is operated by Alsa and you can find it at the web of Alsa: www.alsa.es/en If by whatever reason the web of Alsa doesn't work for you, you can also purchase your tickets at the web of Movelia: www.movelia.es

Yes, it's the same bus. It departs from the airport at 23:59, it goes to Estación Sur de Autobuses and departs from Estación Sur de Autobuses to Ferrol next day at 00:30.
Thank you so much, Castilian! Then I hope the plane will land in time... If it doesn't will it be possible to find a hotel near the airport that late at night without booking?

It may be the same bus. Do not know. But would suspect not the same bus.

Suggestion: why not spend the night in Madrid or two nights? see wonderful Madrid. Then head to Ferrol.

Walked the Ingles this April-May. Loved it. Actually liked it better than the Frances. May have been the lack of people on the trail that I liked vs Fances. And the wonderful people in that part of Spain.

What about taking train to SDC? Ferrol? Catch train at Chamartin station. Believe you catch Cercanias regional train C1 MAD>Chamartin.

https://www.raileurope.com/europe-t...n-station/madrid-chamartin-train-station.html

By the time you get off plane and get moving... buses, metro, etc runs may be fewer.

If needed I can give you the address of a great, very clean, place to stay in Madrid.

I stayed in the Silva Hotel in Ferrol. Clean. Nice staff.
Thank you for your good ideas. But this time I want to get to Ferrol at once and start walking:) I have stayed in Madrid before and I know there are many more sights I should have seen, but not this time...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If it doesn't will it be possible to find a hotel near the airport that late at night without booking?

Unless you stay at the accommodation available at the airport itself (www.premium-traveller.com/es/aeropuertos/madrid/air-rooms), you would need to commute to a nearby hotel. And if you need to commute, IMHO, it would be better to commute to the downtown and continue next day (well, actually same day but a bit later once you ended your sleeping time at your accommodation) from the downtown to Ferrol either by bus or train (whatever suits you better). Once at the airport, if you finally need to stay overnight in Madrid, you can look for possible accommodations and phone them ahead to be sure they have a room available for you (and how much does it cost).

TIP: The Express bus from the airport to the downtown at your travel times ends in Cibeles (instead of in Atocha) so if you are looking for an accommodation on the downtown, to look around that area (Cibeles) may be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you stay at the accommodation available at the airport itself (www.premium-traveller.com/es/aeropuertos/madrid/air-rooms), you would need to commute to a nearby hotel. And if you need to commute, IMHO, it would be better to commute to the downtown and continue next day from the downtown to Ferrol either by bus or train (whatever suits you better). Once at the airport, if you finally need to stay overnight in Madrid, you can look for possible accommodations and pone them ahead to be sure they have a room available for you (and how much does it cost).

TIP: The Express bus from the airport to the downtown at your travel times ends in Cibeles (instead of in Atocha) so if you are looking for an accommodation on the downtown, to look around that area (Cibeles) may be a good idea.
Thank you very much! Very useful information

Plane tickets are now booked:) I hope to reach the bus for Ferrol at 23.59. Is it necessary to book tickets or can I buy them at the airport?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could buy them at the airport at the Alsa's office (I think it closes at midnight but I'm not fully sure)... unless the bus was full, i.e.

Worrying again.. Just found that our plane will arrive at T2, and the bus will be leaving from T4... I know there is a shuttle bus, but will there be enough time? We have about one hour and a half. Best to buy tickets beforehand instead of looking for the ticket office? Is it possible to buy the tickets from the driver of the bus?

I know there is a shuttle bus, but will there be enough time? We have about one hour and a half.

If the info about the transit bus provided at the web of the airport (www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/transport-between-terminals.html) is right, you should have enough time.

Best to buy tickets beforehand instead of looking for the ticket office?

That way you would avoid the (possible) queue at the ticket office. OTOH, if your flight was delayed and you missed your bus, you would (probably) lose the money of your bus ticket unless the rules of the fare you booked online said otherwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Worrying again.. Just found that our plane will arrive at T2, and the bus will be leaving from T4... I know there is a shuttle bus, but will there be enough time? We have about one hour and a half. Best to buy tickets beforehand instead of looking for the ticket office? Is it possible to buy the tickets from the driver of the bus?

No you don't have enough time.

You should allow 3 hours from the stated arrival time before committing to onward travel purchases and planes. Planes are always arriving late.

Plane arrival time is usually the time it lands on the runway.

Taxi time, deboarding your plane, finding your bags, and passport control will take minimum one hour.

Then you have to find the shuttle which takes 10 minutes and runs every 5 minutes. So allow 15 minutes.

You will need to board your bus 10 minutes before it is scheduled to leave ... the doors close and the bus moves on schedule.

So we are summed up to 1hr 25min ... assuming no glitches. Murphy's law applies.

You might make it but I doubt it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Tulle is arriving to T2 so she won't have to go neither through customs nor through immigration because, AFAIK, all flights out of that terminal are either domestic or within the Schengen Area.

Okay. I guess we can disregard everything I wrote then. An hour should be enough.

Well, I really hope Castilian is right because I have now bought the tickets...
So have to hope for luck. Fingers crossed..

Well, here is what happened: the plane landed in good time, so we were really optimistic.. But alas, the baggage belt(right word?) didn't work! Waited nearly 2 hours for the mochilas (love that word) and no chance of getting the bus. Hotel near the airport, 3 hours of sleep and then taxi to the bus station. New tickets, money lost of course..But now in Ferrol, hoping for no rain tomorrow☀️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! You should try to walk it:))

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back