• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus or taxi from Santiago to the airport?

Ria Mattheus

We are flying from Santiago to Barcelona on Sept 10, and must be at the airport at 6h50. We will stay just opposite the cathedral. What will be the best option to get to the airport? By bus or by taxi? Which will go the quickest and maybe more or less the prize?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a taxi. Less stress trying to get to the Bus on time and worrying about arriving late....

I like taking public transportation, so I usually try to take the bus. The first one leaves at 6 am, from the Plaza Galicia, about a 5 minute walk from the cathedral. They leave every half hour. It does take a roundabout route, though, going first to the train station, then the bus station, and then to the airport. But the ride is not much more than a half hour I think and is just a couple of euros. (maybe three?). The taxi rate has gone up a euro or two, it's now 21 or 22.

The bus route takes you through the "center" of Lavacolla, so you will almost always see pilgrims crossing the highway near the church to begin the ascent. I always like that part of the trip, though it usually does fill me with an urge to bolt from the bus and continue walking. Buen camino, Laurie

Used taxi - easy peasy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We found the airport bus easy but we did not have to catch a plane (picking up and returning a hire car). I'm not sure that I'd have the nerve to rely on it if the first is at 6am and you have to be there by 6:50. On one occasion we were waiting for a bus on another run and it simply did not come at all.

We are flying from Santiago to Barcelona on Sept 10, and must be at the airport at 6h50. We will stay just opposite the cathedral. What will be the best option to get to the airport? By bus or by taxi? Which will go the quickest and maybe more or less the prize?
Hi Ria, at that time you have to take a taxi at a flat rate of €20,-
Wish you well, Peter.

We have done both at that time of day, however, the taxi rate costs only a couple of euros more than taking the bus ( which you still have to walk to the bus station to get)! Why not take the easy way out! Less hassle, more relaxing, etc. etc!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like taking public transportation, so I usually try to take the bus. The first one leaves at 6 am, from the Plaza Galicia, about a 5 minute walk from the cathedral. They leave every half hour. It does take a roundabout route, though, going first to the train station, then the bus station, and then to the airport. But the ride is not much more than a half hour I think and is just a couple of euros. (maybe three?). The taxi rate has gone up a euro or two, it's now 21 or 22.

The bus route takes you through the "center" of Lavacolla, so you will almost always see pilgrims crossing the highway near the church to begin the ascent. I always like that part of the trip, though it usually does fill me with an urge to bolt from the bus and continue walking. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, the Airport bus from the bus station costs much more! Can't remember how much, but we DID check it out this year and decided that, for the two of us, it just wasn't worth the hassle!

Laurie, the Airport bus from the bus station costs much more! Can't remember how much, but we DID check it out this year and decided that, for the two of us, it just wasn't worth the hassle!
Hi Anna, The only airport bus I know about is the one that starts at plaza Galicia, which does make stops at the train station and bus station on its way to the airport. The fare for that bus is three euros, 5.10 round trip. And in my experience the service is very dependable.
http://www.aena.es/csee/ContentServ...es/Page/1237554501825/Transporte-publico.html

Last edited:

As Laurie pointed out the bus starts running at 0600. Most airports recommend you are there at least 2 hours before your flight. Most airlines won't let you check in with less than 20 minutes. Your only option to meet the 0650 timing (that being assumed as your departure time) is taxi.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are not clear if your flight leaves at 6:50 am or that is the time you want to be at the airport for check-in, boarding, etc purposes. The old two hours early bit.
Assuming you want to be at the airport at 6:50 am, and that not being the time of your departure, I would say take the bus. The bus stop is about a 5-10 minute walk from the cathedral and the bus ride to the airport only costs 3 euros, which is way less than a taxi which is at least 20 euros. I took the bus to the airport on both my Caminos. It's about a 30-45 minute ride to the airport.

Hi Anna, The only airport bus I know about is the one that starts at plaza Galicia, which does make stops at the train station and bus station on its way to the airport. The fare for that bus is three euros, 5.10 round trip. And in my experience the service is very dependable.
http://www.aena.es/csee/ContentServ...es/Page/1237554501825/Transporte-publico.html
OK! I give up! I'll have to consult my better half on this one!:rolleyes:
HOWEVER, I do remember that in June, we decided that there was very little difference for the two of us to opt for the taxi. In the past, we have always walked to the bus station and caught the airport bus. Our poor OP Ria will have to step over our opinions and maybe decide on the last minute!:confused:

@annakappa , I'm with Laurie on the price, in fact Imthink it is even less. Just to have everything sorted out ahead of time I bought it via Ryanair who obviously takes a cut. I remember being surprised at how inexpensive the ticket was. For a person on their own the difference witha taxi is a lot, especially when you consider how we pilgrims tend to be such penny pinchers when ot comes to how much we leave in donativo albergues

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanx for all the replies!!! I do appreciate! We are actually flying out at 8h50 to Barcelona, but we must be at the airport 2 hours prior! I think the taxi will be more convenient, specially because we are two persons. We can split the costs. Must we organize a taxi the night before or will we find a taxi easy that time of the morning?

Thanx for all the replies!!! I do appreciate! We are actually flying out at 8h50 to Barcelona, but we must be at the airport 2 hours prior! I think the taxi will be more convenient, specially because we are two persons. We can split the costs. Must we organize a taxi the night before or will we find a taxi easy that time of the morning?
You mentioned in your original post that you are staying opposite the cathedral. You might ask the concierge/owner/hospitalero (?) the night before to book you an early taxi for the following morning.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a taxi stand in the little road that leads from the side of San Martin Pinario down to the road that runs along the side of the parador. At that hour there will surely be taxis waiting there, but you can also call ahead and reserve one. Price will be the same. Buen camino, Laurie

Ahh....thanx again mspath and peregrina2000!!! We are staying at San Martin Pinario - so it will be easy to get a taxi!!!!! Do you know how long will it take to get to the airport by taxi? We are having breakfast still at the hotel - want to know how to organize! The forum got all the answers!

Ahh....thanx again mspath and peregrina2000!!! We are staying at San Martin Pinario - so it will be easy to get a taxi!!!!! Do you know how long will it take to get to the airport by taxi? We are having breakfast still at the hotel - want to know how to organize! The forum got all the answers!

The bus takes 45 minutes (the 0600 bus gets there 0645) ... a taxi should be somewhat faster.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
how long will it take to get to the airport by taxi?
I have taken a taxi from San Martin Pinario to the airport twice, and I think it is about 20 minutes. The desk will arrange to have a taxi there for an early morning departure.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back