• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus or train along del Norte?

frkflis

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the camino norte in 2015
Hi everybody
I've heard about a railroad along del Norte, but I cant find anything about it now :oops:

I'm walking from Bilbao to Gijon, and want to travel back to Bilbao by train or bus. Do you know anything about how to get back to Bilbao?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everybody
I've heard about a railroad along del Norte, but I cant find anything about it now :oops:

I'm walking from Bilbao to Gijon, and want to travel back to Bilbao by train or bus. Do you know anything about how to get back to Bilbao?

The Feve (narrow gauge railway) is here: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/feve/
You will need to change I think in either Oviedo or El Berron. It will take you all day!!!

The Alsa (autobus) site is here: https://www.alsa.es/
A lot quicker and I think you can get a through bus - but very boring drumming along the autopista!

Your choice depending on what time you have.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Bus is quicker, direct and more frequent.

Narrow gauge railway is more scenic but less frequent, way more slower (more than 8 hours including transfer times) and you'll have to change trains twice (firstly in Oviedo or El Berrón and later in Santander).

Use the links provided by TerryB for more info about buses on that route as well as about the narrow gauge trains (tip: to look for train schedules from Gijón to Bilbao, you might need to make two separate searches: one from Gijón to Santander and another one from Santander to Bilbao).

By train, you can also make the route using Iberian gauge railway but that means a big detour and a change of trains along the route (for example in Palencia) although the time you actually spend on a train isn't more than using the narrow gauge railway... Not sure of what would be the fare using the narrow gauge railway but I guess that making the route using the Iberian gauge railway is much more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for your answers :) I'll take the bus

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.