• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus out of Leon to avoid city walking

Pandy51

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept 2018
Portuguese 2019
Buenos Dias Pilgrims, my BFF and I are starting our first pilgrimage in Chicago tomorrow. Of course, the first 3 legs will be by plane, train and bus and the final leg will be on our legs After spending her 66th BD in Madrid, taking the train to Leon and spending the night, we will be taking a bus to the edge of Leon to join the path and start our journey to Santiago. We are staying around the main plaza in Leon. Would someone be able to give us a quick reference to finding the bus that takes us close to the Camino where passes by Leon? If you see 2 happy ladies skipping up and down the trail starting 9/20, that's us! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you want to go all the way to Villadangos and start there, go to the Leon Bus Station. Alsa has a bus that stops at various points..... bus station is only 5-10 minutes from center of town across the river
León at the Estación de Autobuses de León bus station, located on Avenida Ingeniero Sáenz de Miera, s/n.

Bus makes 4 stops before Villadangos.

Trobajo Del Camino (5 min)
La Virgen Del Camino (10 min)
Valverde De La Virgen (13 min)
San Miguel Del Camino (15 min)

Alsa.com

We took the Alsa bus at the Estación de Autobuses de León bus station, which is a short walk from central Leon to La Virgen Del Camino and walked to Villar de Mazarife, it was a lovely walk and avoids the route by the highway.

Suppementing Falcon269’s response, the last stop on that bus will be La Virgen del Camino. The street running perpendicular to the street on whoich the bus has been running is the Camino. Turn right, and a few hundred yards down is the split to choose Villadangos or Mazarife. IMHO, the way to Mazarife is far preferable, since the other route runs right along the main road.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went to bus station WRONG!! I was sent across the river to Plaza de Guzman, it’s the statue/ fountain as you enter city. As you look toward Leon bus stop is at 9 o’clock. City bus every 1/2 hour takes you to la Virgin del Camino. Easy Peasy! Buen Camino

I took a city bus to la Virgin del Camino in the morning (weekday) -- asked how to find the bus stop which was a short walk from our albergue. The bus had many school students, who were very helpful in helping us know where to get off.

I would do that again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take the city bus from Plaza de Santo Domingo in front of the BBVA bank to La Virgen del Camino. Get off the bus at the last stop, and you will almost be at the split to choose Villadangos or Mazarife.

While you are waiting at the ‘round-about’ bus stop in front of the BBVA bank, ask any bus driver to confirm that the number of the bus to La Virgen del Camino is 1A - (I wrote it down in last spring’s map) - it may not be easy to find the number on the schedule at the stop. And, I highly recommend taking the left hand route to Villar de Mazarife—watch for the signs and the arrows painted on the road. I have always stayed at Tio Pepe’s, but there are other nice albergues, too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Buenos Dias Pilgrims, my BFF and I are starting our first pilgrimage in Chicago tomorrow. Of course, the first 3 legs will be by plane, train and bus and the final leg will be on our legs After spending her 66th BD in Madrid, taking the train to Leon and spending the night, we will be taking a bus to the edge of Leon to join the path and start our journey to Santiago. We are staying around the main plaza in Leon. Would someone be able to give us a quick reference to finding the bus that takes us close to the Camino where passes by Leon? If you see 2 happy ladies skipping up and down the trail starting 9/20, that's us! Buen Camino!
If you are in the main plaza, you are very near the Way. You won't need a bus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good question - it's mine too.
Same question over and over for me too.
It's not an ugly walk. First you see San Isidro again (or for the last time?), pass the San Marcos Parador/Plaza, cross the river... OK there is some pavement walking but you can stop at the shop or first/second cafe con leche (or beer) and there are nice bodegas before Virgen de Camino (see attached photo) and then you are already out in the country. Either going left or right.

Attachments

• 0822-bodegas before La Virgen del Camino (Leon-San Martin del Camino, 09.06.2011).jpg
    0822-bodegas before La Virgen del Camino (Leon-San Martin del Camino, 09.06.2011).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Same question over and over for me too.
It's not an ugly walk. First you see San Isidro again (or for the last time?), pass the San Marcos Parador/Plaza, cross the river... OK there is some pavement walking but you can stop at the shop or first/second cafe con leche (or beer) and there are nice bodegas before Virgen de Camino (see attached photo) and then you are already out in the country. Either going left or right.

I agree, entering and leaving the cities is a wonderful part of the Camino experience, and Léon is a great city experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
City bus to Virgin del Camino. Very wise.

I don't disagree, but repeat offenders may be happy doing it just once. I like the walk out of Leon, but do not like the walk into Burgos. Into Logrono is a drag; out of Logrono is great. Personal preference!!:)

Yes ... and walking into Santiago is sad - because the camino is almost finished (and it is full of noise and tourists). But ... walking out of Santiago is great because the trip to Finisterre means a new camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love all the city walking I have done over the years on my five Camino's. Some times a challenge. But I want to experience it all.
I love the gradual transition of the hustle and bustle of each city to the eventual calmness and serenity of the country side.
Cities are part of your Camino, enjoy it all.

Please have a look at this image. You will see that almost every alburgue in Leon is within easy walking distance of the Camino.

The two hostels (the green circles) you can see, actually on the Camino (the red dashed line), are about 400 metres apart and would take about 12 minutes to walk.

But if you do need a bus then just over the river you can find the bus station. On weekdays there are buses to Valverde de la Virgen (7.6 kms or a little under 5 miles) which is a 13 or so minute bus trip and that will get you out of Leon. First bus goes around 8:00 AM and then 8:45 and 9:30. Have fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't disagree, but repeat offenders may be happy doing it just once. I like the walk out of Leon, but do not like the walk into Burgos. Into Logrono is a drag; out of Logrono is great. Personal preference!!:)
Walking out of Logrono I got lost!

The walk into Burgos on the river route is very beautiful in my opinion! As you say, it is all personal preference though.

Answering the theme of the thread (not to you Falcon) Personally, I don't understand why people would want to skip entering or leaving the cities. It is all part of the camino, and also not as bad as people claim. The walk out of Leon is fine, I find it enjoyable.

The worst for ugliness is the last stage into the city of Santiago. I advise you skip that, catch a bus from O'Pedrouzo to Negreira. It is pretty then to Finisterra. (toung in cheek)!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back