A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Bus out of Leon to avoid city walking

Pandy51

Camino(s) past & future
future, Sept 2018 starting in Leon
Buenos Dias Pilgrims, my BFF and I are starting our first pilgrimage in Chicago tomorrow. Of course, the first 3 legs will be by plane, train and bus and the final leg will be on our legs After spending her 66th BD in Madrid, taking the train to Leon and spending the night, we will be taking a bus to the edge of Leon to join the path and start our journey to Santiago. We are staying around the main plaza in Leon. Would someone be able to give us a quick reference to finding the bus that takes us close to the Camino where passes by Leon? If you see 2 happy ladies skipping up and down the trail starting 9/20, that's us! Buen Camino!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
If you want to go all the way to Villadangos and start there, go to the Leon Bus Station. Alsa has a bus that stops at various points..... bus station is only 5-10 minutes from center of town across the river
León at the Estación de Autobuses de León bus station, located on Avenida Ingeniero Sáenz de Miera, s/n.

Bus makes 4 stops before Villadangos.

Trobajo Del Camino (5 min)
La Virgen Del Camino (10 min)
Valverde De La Virgen (13 min)
San Miguel Del Camino (15 min)

Alsa.com

Camino(s) past & future
Starting April 14 at St Jean Pied de Port
We took the Alsa bus at the Estación de Autobuses de León bus station, which is a short walk from central Leon to La Virgen Del Camino and walked to Villar de Mazarife, it was a lovely walk and avoids the route by the highway.

andycohn

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2012,13,15); Finisterre / Muxia (15); Portugeuse (17); Primitivo (17); Norte (18); Ingles (18)
Suppementing Falcon269’s response, the last stop on that bus will be La Virgen del Camino. The street running perpendicular to the street on whoich the bus has been running is the Camino. Turn right, and a few hundred yards down is the split to choose Villadangos or Mazarife. IMHO, the way to Mazarife is far preferable, since the other route runs right along the main road.

Camino(s) past & future
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CP April 2019
I went to bus station WRONG!! I was sent across the river to Plaza de Guzman, it’s the statue/ fountain as you enter city. As you look toward Leon bus stop is at 9 o’clock. City bus every 1/2 hour takes you to la Virgin del Camino. Easy Peasy! Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
2011-12-14-15-16-17-18CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
Take the city bus from Plaza de Santo Domingo in front of the BBVA bank to La Virgen del Camino. Get off the bus at the last stop, and you will almost be at the split to choose Villadangos or Mazarife.
While you are waiting at the ‘round-about’ bus stop in front of the BBVA bank, ask any bus driver to confirm that the number of the bus to La Virgen del Camino is 1A - (I wrote it down in last spring’s map) - it may not be easy to find the number on the schedule at the stop. And, I highly recommend taking the left hand route to Villar de Mazarife—watch for the signs and the arrows painted on the road. I have always stayed at Tio Pepe’s, but there are other nice albergues, too.

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
Buenos Dias Pilgrims, my BFF and I are starting our first pilgrimage in Chicago tomorrow. Of course, the first 3 legs will be by plane, train and bus and the final leg will be on our legs After spending her 66th BD in Madrid, taking the train to Leon and spending the night, we will be taking a bus to the edge of Leon to join the path and start our journey to Santiago. We are staying around the main plaza in Leon. Would someone be able to give us a quick reference to finding the bus that takes us close to the Camino where passes by Leon? If you see 2 happy ladies skipping up and down the trail starting 9/20, that's us! Buen Camino!
If you are in the main plaza, you are very near the Way. You won't need a bus.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Good question - it's mine too.
Same question over and over for me too.
It's not an ugly walk. First you see San Isidro again (or for the last time?), pass the San Marcos Parador/Plaza, cross the river... OK there is some pavement walking but you can stop at the shop or first/second cafe con leche (or beer) and there are nice bodegas before Virgen de Camino (see attached photo) and then you are already out in the country. Either going left or right.

Attachments

Pierre Julian

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese, sections of Northern, Portuguese, Mozarabic.
Same question over and over for me too.
It's not an ugly walk. First you see San Isidro again (or for the last time?), pass the San Marcos Parador/Plaza, cross the river... OK there is some pavement walking but you can stop at the shop or first/second cafe con leche (or beer) and there are nice bodegas before Virgen de Camino (see attached photo) and then you are already out in the country. Either going left or right.
I agree, entering and leaving the cities is a wonderful part of the Camino experience, and Léon is a great city experience.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I agree, entering and leaving the cities is a wonderful part of the Camino experience, and Léon is a great city experience.
I don't disagree, but repeat offenders may be happy doing it just once. I like the walk out of Leon, but do not like the walk into Burgos. Into Logrono is a drag; out of Logrono is great. Personal preference!!:)

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
City bus to Virgin del Camino. Very wise.

Pierre Julian

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese, sections of Northern, Portuguese, Mozarabic.
I don't disagree, but repeat offenders may be happy doing it just once. I like the walk out of Leon, but do not like the walk into Burgos. Into Logrono is a drag; out of Logrono is great. Personal preference!!:)
Yes ... and walking into Santiago is sad - because the camino is almost finished (and it is full of noise and tourists). But ... walking out of Santiago is great because the trip to Finisterre means a new camino!

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
I love all the city walking I have done over the years on my five Camino's. Some times a challenge. But I want to experience it all.
I love the gradual transition of the hustle and bustle of each city to the eventual calmness and serenity of the country side.
Cities are part of your Camino, enjoy it all.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%