• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Pamplona to SJPP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte September 2023
Greetings - My trip has been postponed two weeks due to injury. I now leave mid September for the Camino Frances starting at SJPP

I am unable to book a bus from Pamplona—>SJPP Have these buses stopped running?

I cancelled my previous reservation on 9/1 for the noon Renfre bus. Your input in much appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings - My trip has been postponed two weeks due to injury. I now leave mid September for the Camino Frances starting at SJPP

I cancelled my previous reservation on 9/1 for the noon Renfre bus. Your input in much appreciated.
I have a feeling that the buses from Pamplona to St-Jean can only be reserved within a month or so. I have run into that problem before, finding that there was no bus information. Try again a bit closer to the date.

I have a feeling that the buses from Pamplona to St-Jean can only be reserved within a month or so. I have run into that problem before, finding that there was no bus information. Try again a bit closer to the date.
Thank you Danielle. That is what I was thinking. However, I booked my 9/1/22 ticket in April. I will keep trying.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Danielle. That is what I was thinking. However, I booked my 9/1/22 ticket in April. I will keep trying.
I hope I am right. I would like to take the bus Sept 30. If they don't have a bus, I will post here to find companions for a shared taxi. Good luck.

Are you doing the entire Camino Frances and walking through October?
Actually, I am just walking for 2 weeks. Starting St. Jean and not sure where I will end... I have been many times before and this time, a friend wants to try it; she is not sure how she will do because of a foot problem so no real plan... If you are starting then, you are welcome to walk with us although I will walk to Orisson and back on Oct 1, then, taxi to Orisson early on Oct 2, and walk to Burguete. My friend will sleep in Roncesvalles. I know it sounds funny but as far as Orisson and Roncesvalles are concerned, been there, done that and prefer St-Jean and Burguete!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually, I am just walking for 2 weeks. Starting St. Jean and not sure where I will end... I have been many times before and this time, a friend wants to try it; she is not sure how she will do because of a foot problem so no real plan... If you are starting then, you are welcome to walk with us although I will walk to Orisson and back on Oct 1, then, taxi to Orisson early on Oct 2, and walk to Burguete. My friend will sleep in Roncesvalles. I know it sounds funny but as far as Orisson and Roncesvalles are concerned, been there, done that and prefer St-Jean and Burguete!
Thank you for the invite. I start walking on the 15th. Staying in Orisson before moving forward. I wish you the best of luck!

When I walked last September (I started on Sept 9th), the daily bus from Pamplona to SJPP, served by Alsa, had stopped serving this route the week prior. As I had planned to start in Roncesvalles this wasn't a problem for me since Autocares-Artieda had a daily bus to Roncesvalles, but I recall others who were going to SJPP having to work around this issue, either by sharing a taxi from Roncesvalles to SJPP, for example. Perhaps Alsa serves this route seasonally? I checked the Alsa site and you can buy tickets up and until Sunday, the 4th.

Caveat: Covid restrictions were still in place when I walked last year, however, so bus routes/schedules then may have been impacted in a way that isn't true this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you could always just show up at the bus station a bit early and get your ticket then or pay cash on the bus. that’s what i did in april for a bus to roncesvalles. it wasn’t the same one that goes to sjpp but it shouldn’t be an issue i would think.

Hi there, my friend and I will be leaving SJPDP on September 21. I too was concerned that buses no longer ran from Pamplona, however, it is as stated above, from my investigations on the Alsa site and putting in 'mock' dates, that tickets are only released approximately 4-5 weeks in advance. It's worthwhile to note that the bus seems to only run once per day at 12 midday. Rest easy, and buen camino.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a idea of the bus transportation from Pamplona to SJPP for September journey?
I'll be arriving Pamplona from Madrid by a train on Sept.13th and am planning to stay one night in Pamplona. Was looking a bus schedule to go the SJPP on the next day by a bus. There are several companies (Rome2rio-ALSA, GetByBus, and Omio) and all of them appear to be closed for their services after a first week of September. I'm not sure if they haven't update new schedules on their website yet.
I thought their business season goes through the October. Any thoughts or information on this?
I'll also have to look for the taxi ride share from Pamplona on either13th (after 4 pm) or 14th (all day) if they indeed have decided for their services closed earlier.
Waiting for your responses.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I, too, have the same dilemma! I’ll be getting off the train in Pamplona on August 31 wondering how I will get to SJPDP!

I, too, have the same dilemma! I’ll be getting off the train in Pamplona on August 31 wondering how I will get to SJPDP!
I just checked Rome2rio. There are bus tickets showing available for purchase - noon bus - on 8/31 and 9/1. Schedules further away are not yet available. Good luck!

Hi, I had a same problem of booking a bus trip to SJPP from Pamplona for 9/14/2022. All bus websites are saying “no bus found”.
So I emailed to Rome2rio which arranges a bus reservation for ALSA and their response is as follow. I hope this photocopy of their email will ease your concerns regarding to the bus transportation to SJPP. By the way it appears to depart SJPP on the same day. Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• 8AAC8E8A-FD0C-433B-9742-DE06AFB2CDB4.jpeg
    8AAC8E8A-FD0C-433B-9742-DE06AFB2CDB4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there, my friend and I will be leaving SJPDP on September 21. I too was concerned that buses no longer ran from Pamplona, however, it is as stated above, from my investigations on the Alsa site and putting in 'mock' dates, that tickets are only released approximately 4-5 weeks in advance. It's worthwhile to note that the bus seems to only run once per day at 12 midday. Rest easy, and buen camino.
When I checked, I too, noticed the bus runs at 12 midday. However, my train arrives at 1:30.

I just checked Rome2rio. There are bus tickets showing available for purchase - noon bus - on 8/31 and 9/1. Schedules further away are not yet available. Good luck!
My train arrives at 1:30. I bought the ticket before checking the bus schedule. It was the only early train so I booked it.

My train arrives at 1:30. I bought the ticket before checking the bus schedule. It was the only early train so I booked it.
I am travelling from Madrid so will need to take the earliest train at 7:25 am in order to make the bus at 12 noon to SJPDP. You may have to consider a night in Pamplona or perhaps an additional night in SJPDP, however, this may have impacts on any future bookings you have, if you have them. Renfe offers some refund for change of time/ticket, it might be worth the financial loss instead of upsetting your schedule?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be traveling to SJPP October 1 and have found all the same issues you all have found. Even if the bus schedule comes out in a few weeks the timing probably means a night in Pamplona. I am resigned to hiring a taxi from the Pamplona airport 😔

I am travelling from Madrid so will need to take the earliest train at 7:25 am in order to make the bus at 12 noon to SJPDP. You may have to consider a night in Pamplona or perhaps an additional night in SJPDP, however, this may have impacts on any future bookings you have, if you have them. Renfe offers some refund for change of time/ticket, it might be worth the financial loss instead of upsetting your schedule?
Thank you for your input. I think I will hire a taxi. From the readings I’ve done it looks like it’s common to try to share a ride with other pilgrims when possible.

I tried online as well to book from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. Published schedule went through Sept 1, no updates, and no response to my email.

I'm planning to get to Pamplona late AM on Sept 14 and travel to Roncesvalles in the afternoon. If you're there then and interested in sharing a taxi to SJ (dropping me in Roncesvalles on the way ), or if you get updated bus info, please get in touch!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tried online as well to book from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. Published schedule went through Sept 1, no updates, and no response to my email.

I'm planning to get to Pamplona late AM on Sept 14 and travel to Roncesvalles in the afternoon. If you're there then and interested in sharing a taxi to SJ (dropping me in Roncesvalles on the way ), or if you get updated bus info, please get in touch!
The bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles is a different carrier than the one for St. Jean Pied de Port. And, "Ticket reservations cannot be made online. Neither by phone. The purchase of tickets must be made on the same day of the trip.". The bus leaves from the underground bus station just 750 meters/10 min walk from Plaza Del Castillo. When you arrive at the bus station, you don't pay at the tickets booth, you simply walk directly to the bus loading area. When the bus arrives you pay the driver the 5 euro on the spot. Note that the once-daily bus leaves Pamplona at 5pm, so be sure to make a reservation online for Roncesvalles in case they are full, so that you have a reserved bed when you arrive at 6pm or so. I think there is a data field in the reservation form for arrival time. If not, add your arrival time in the notes section. That's what I did last September.

You can find all the information here for the route description and schedule: Autocares Artieda

The bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles is a different carrier than the one for St. Jean Pied de Port. And, "Ticket reservations cannot be made online. Neither by phone. The purchase of tickets must be made on the same day of the trip.". The bus leaves from the underground bus station just 750 meters/10 min walk from Plaza Del Castillo. When you arrive at the bus station, you don't pay at the tickets booth, you simply walk directly to the bus loading area. When the bus arrives you pay the driver the 5 euro on the spot. Note that the once-daily bus leaves Pamplona at 5pm, so be sure to make a reservation online for Roncesvalles in case they are full, so that you have a reserved bed when you arrive at 6pm or so. I think there is a data field in the reservation form for arrival time. If not, add your arrival time in the notes section. That's what I did last September.

You can find all the information here for the route description and schedule: Autocares Artieda
Thanks! This is very helpful!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back