• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus Problems!

neoncookie1000`

Hi guys,
I am just wondering has anyone travelled from Bilbao to Pamplona by bus? I had booked two tickets for two weeks time from the bus company La Union and I have had serious problems with them (site went down, transactions went through twice, received no tickets!) after a dozen emails and phone calls later I have been refunded my money but I am not willing to go through all that again. Does anyone know of any other bus company which they have used with success or would I be better off waiting until we get there and by the tickets at the station?

Thank you,
Emma x

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Spain I always use ALSA bus, without any problems.
You can buy the tichet on line and pay with Paypal if you want, very quickly

I don't think ALSA run a service directly from Bilbao to Pamplona. Their website shows only the La Union buses on that route. However, you can make the journey with ALSA in two stages by changing buses in Donostia/San Sebastian. Quite a few buses each day on both stages. Booking online with ALSA is fairly straightforward and I have found them pretty reliable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree, ALSA is the biggest company, but it does not do many secondary, "transversal" routes. It seems the case for the Bilbao-Pamplona line.
Many local bus companies in Spain have quite defective webpages. And they are family owned businesses, not used to intl transactions.
As much as I like to plan everything, sometimes in Spain you have to go, ask and decide on the spot. See all available departures from Bilbao bus terminal here.
If not "La Union" buses to Pamplona, you can go, as above mentioned, to San Sebastian and make a connection. The local line of choice in San Sebastian is "La Estellesa". In this case, try that your connection be "por autoruta" (highway) and not "por pueblos" (by villages, which is picturesque but long).
Buen viaje.

Autobuses La Unión is the only bus Company with direct buses from Bilbao to Pamplona.

Bus from Bilbao to San Sebastián (aka Donostia) and another one from San Sebastián to Pamplona (both buses with Alsa; www.alsa.es/en) would be the main alternative not involving Autobuses La Unión. From Bilbao to San Sebastián, www.pesa.net is an alternative to Alsa. If you arrived to Bilbao airport (aka Loiu airport), Pesa has direct buses from the airport to San Sebastián so you wouldn't need to go to downtown Bilbao to catch the bus.

Get tickets at the bus station (or from bus driver) prior to boarding. The only time for exceptions is for travel on official holidays.

As described by Castilian ... If you arrive at Bilbao (Loiu) Airport take PESA bus to San Sebastian/Donostia and ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona. (PESA uses Euskara names)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recommend you use www.Rome2Rio.com or download the free app for Apple or Android devices to discover the possibilities, then develop a solution from there.

ALSA is good, but they do not go quite everywhere.

You may find a train or even a flight solution that works for you.

I hope this helps.

I bought my tickets from Madrid to Burgos on ALSA - one less thing to do at the airport. The web site worked really well. I have caught a variety of buses on my previous two Caminos and had no problem getting on any bus with 1/2 days notice. I don't speak any Spanish but had no problem buying tickets, getting on the bus etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry I haven't read all replies ...but I just arrived in Bilbao bus station... bought a ticket. ....and got on the bus...no problem.

Bumble is correct. Go to the Bilbao bus station and buy a ticket several hours before your departure time and there should be no problem. You will find cash easier to deal with.

Get tickets at the bus station (or from bus driver) prior to boarding. The only time for exceptions is for travel on official holidays.

As described by Castilian ... If you arrive at Bilbao (Loiu) Airport take PESA bus to San Sebastian/Donostia and ALSA bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona. (PESA uses Euskara names)
Whariwharangi
Is there a connection from Logrono to Donostia and do you know times? la Esteresella ? I think do it but unsure of times on website are up to date.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whariwharangi
Is there a connection from Logrono to Donostia and do you know times? la Esteresella ? I think do it but unsure of times on website are up to date.

La Estellesa is the service provider. I can't provide any better information than their website. Most bus companies don't change their schedules often. The only other way to find out is to contact them.

Alternatively take Renfe train.

Estellesa and Renfe call 'Donostia' as 'San Sebastian'.

Thanks my brother is leaving at logrono and the train is over 3 hours and has a change on way.
I will go with him when we arrive in Logrono and check.
Many thanks once again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back