• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus route besides alsa?

verber

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 (SJPP)
My wife’s achilles tendon is inflamed and the PT told her to go easy for some days. We are in Boadilla del Camino this morning going to Carrión de los Condes.

She can walk up to 15km before severe pain but trying to give her more of a break in hopes it recovers. She could use taxi, but would prefer a bus.

I believe there are local bus besides Alsa but haven’t been able to find info. I see towns with a bus symbol in wise pilgrim but when I try to find a bus that goes between towns with the symbol along our route to shorten her daily distance I am not finding anything via google maps or rio2rio. Any suggestions?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As you’ll be finding buses are infrequent (often not even daily) and rarely follow the Camino route. A taxi is the most practical option in most cases as time and destination are more or less in your control.
Also, I’m no physio - but are you sure your wife’s advisor intended ‘take it easy’ to mean ‘walk 15km with a rucksack?’

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am afraid than Boadilla del Camino is to small to see a bus... In Fromista you can get one.
If your wife manage to walk until Canal de Castilla (It should be about 2 kms from Boadilla), there you can get a boat to Fromista:
(Check the hours and call to book !)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am afraid than Boadilla del Camino is to small to see a bus... In Fromista you can get one.
If your wife manage to walk until Canal de Castilla (It should be about 2 kms from Boadilla), there you can get a boat to Fromista:
(Check the hours and call to book !)
Seen the jetty did not know there was a ferry ,Thanks. I note its closed on a Tuesday 5 euro fare .

Buses usually go along the closest highway, so as you walk and consult maps, look for intersections of the Camino and the highway and explore buses from those places. In towns with a tourist office, you can ask there. If you get to a bus terminal (often not an actual building, but maybe a large, covered bus stop), look for posted schedules and routes. You can also ask in albergues and bars or google autobuses and the town you’re in and nearby towns.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second @AnneMarie1’s comment around googling bus schedules. Search:

“<name of town> autobuses horarios”

As a last resort, use BlaBlaCar or Uber. 👣

You can catch a very local early/mid-morning bus from the Fromista town-center tourism kiosk to Carrion. Clean, comfortable and cheap. Sorry -- don't have bus company name, or schedule. Inquire at the tourism kiosk.

Checked my old photos from 2019. The bus company name appears to be Yaguez. Departed Fromista at 10 AM. Took about 45 minutes to arrive in Carrion.

1684763166772.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take a taxi. Last year my best friend and I walked our third Camino and we made it our Camino. More than once we started our day with a taxi ride. They seem to be numerous, timely, and not terribly expensive. The Alsa bus is only once per day.

Buen Camino

Thanks. My wife used @AnneMarie1 suggestion and found what she was looking for. Tx! When we finish I will likely put a sheet together with bus information around the Camino. Agree that taxis are an option

I met a French woman who had knee reconstruction surgery which flared up. She walked about 10kms a day on crutches with a light pack. Her husband carried a bigger pack with camping equipment and she trained and bussed to meet up with him every evening. This was on via francigena and they were walking to Rome. So perhaps your wife could walk with crutches?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks everyone for suggestions. We are ultralight (everything is less than 6lb, no luggage transfer) so pack isn’t a burden, she is walking ok modest distance. I am starting east the day before her, and she is taxi or bus to a point we can walk section together while keeping her mileage down. She had been partially recovering over night. we are hoping dropping down from 40km days to 10-15km (what we normally walk at home) she will bounce back in a bit

I would not normally suggest this -- but going forward, you might wish to consider sending your packs forward some VERY short distance via Jacotrans, then both of you unencumbered, you could support your wife, physically I mean, to help her onward on some low K days until she's better.

Maybe get yourself a day-pack in Frómista ?

If it's not better at Carrión ; well -- then seriously consider some rest days or etc.

My wife’s achilles tendon is inflamed and the PT told her to go easy for some days. We are in Boadilla del Camino this morning going to Carrión de los Condes.

She can walk up to 15km before severe pain but trying to give her more of a break in hopes it recovers. She could use taxi, but would prefer a bus.

I believe there are local bus besides Alsa but haven’t been able to find info. I see towns with a bus symbol in wise pilgrim but when I try to find a bus that goes between towns with the symbol along our route to shorten her daily distance I am not finding anything via google maps or rio2rio. Any suggestions?
Google bus near me? There are generally regional bus lines, and in total, cover most areas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
an update. My wife took it easy for several days using a bus or taxi to cut the amount of walking down. Two days rest in Leon. The combo of icing/heat soaking, ibuprofen, bracing the ankle during the walk, and rest did the trick. We tried one of our normal days back home (15km) and she was fine, and are ramping ip mileage. Yesterday she did 24km… no pain during walk and no sensitivity when I massaged her legs at the end of the day. Still icing and taking ibuprofen to keep inflammation down, but it looks like she is good now.

I will note that she got good a figuring out the buses. There are places with multiple buses each day, but others where the bus is just once a day. Just googling bus near me (or the Spanish equiv) wasn’t always helpful. Also the villages that have a bus symbol in wise pilgrim doesn’t alway mean they have a bus that will take you to another village along the Camino. Sometimes the route was perpendicular to the Camino, and you would need to do a transfer (or two) to get back to the Camino.

Taxi is easier. Taxi through a full stage can cost 40 €, but can of be shared with someone else who is injured. This has been a mixed bag. Sometime the ride continued to have the spirit of the Camino… a fellowship of the wounded, but not always. one of the rides the women sharing the taxi talked among themselves and made it clear they didn’t welcome my wife’s participation. Very different from the normal camino experience, doubly so because my wife was who arranged from the taxi to come to the bar. Remember to be kind to those uou encounter, on and off the Camino.

We continue to be amazed at how much people are carrying. Our everything is lighter than many people walking daypacks who do luggage transfer. Very little is needed between May and Oct.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back