• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus route from bayonne to SJPdP

neusaplillis

My first thread ever on any forum, do please bear with me,
My question is with the bus service that is in place for the train which has been discontinued for the time being due to mud/landslides... How do I purchase this ticket? Should I do this in advance? I am traveling June 21st to from Paris by rail to Bayonne, just need to figure out this last leg.
I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer, if there is one please don't hesitate to share the thread. Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your ticket is for passage from Gare de Bayonne to SJPdP. SNCF is the service provider. Usually the service is provided by train. Since the tracks are washed out, service is provided by bus. Same stops, same schedule, same tickets. You can buy your ticket at Gare de Bayonne or on line. No reservations possible.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/Fr/Default.aspx

Schedule for TER 62 temporary service
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...ies_jeu_27_mars_nouvel_avis_tcm-11-101460.pdf

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since you are traveling from Paris to Bayonne by train you can also purchase your transportation ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP in Paris or on line at the same time. The substitute bus service is provided by the SNCF TER railroad. Same price as train ticket; same time as train was scheduled. For now until October Bayonne to SJPdP ticket will be marked autocar ie bus.

As whariwhangi notes this is not a reserved seat but simply for passage.

I cant seem to find a way to book tickets to take the bus on the snfc. It wont even allow booking from bayonne to sjpdp. I'm not sure if booking a bus ride from bayonne to sjpdp would be easier when I arrive there on a sunday August 3rd I thought buses dont run on sunday??

My first thread ever on any forum, do please bear with me,
My question is with the bus service that is in place for the train which has been discontinued for the time being due to mud/landslides... How do I purchase this ticket? Should I do this in advance? I am traveling June 21st to from Paris by rail to Bayonne, just need to figure out this last leg.
I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer, if there is one please don't hesitate to share the thread. Buen camino!

I also attempted to book online for the train from Bayonne to St Jean but the search came up with Bayonee to Cambo les Bains . I contacted Rail Europe to be informed that from Cambo les Bains, it is a bus to St Jean and the bus ticket is to be purchased 'locally' from the bus station, which is not far from the train station. It's a 45 minute trip from Cambo les Bains to St Jean. My advice from Rail Europe was that it couldn't be pre-booked online. I am travelling 7 September. I have purchased my train ticket from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to CAmbo les Bains and will purchase my bus ticket when I arrive at Cambo.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The line from Bayonne was down in May due to a landslide (Do not know if its back) the line was covered by a Bus from the carpark of Bayonne Gare so you should have no problem. You do not normally have to book on the Bayonne train and it does run on Sunday, price around 10 euro one way.

I would advise checking the forum member whariwharangi messages as he has a wide knowledge of time tables and solutions to travel problems around the Camino,s..
find a typical weekly schedule

Your typical weekly schedule
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trai...pied_de_port_train_station_41_604.aspx#weekly

I had no difficulty in getting the SNCF site to produce a schedule from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

When I tried to purchase a ticket I got as far as where they ask for credit card information. My understanding is I am paying in advance for a ticket that I pick up at the station.

It is not possible to get a reservation on SNCF TER trains or buses.

SNCF buses run in place of the train and run every day including Sunday.

Transports64 buses do not operate on Sunday. (Bayonne to St Palais to SJPdP). This service is not to be confused with services provided by SNCF.

Tickets can also be purchased via SNCF TER Aquitaine site. The site has schedule for SNCF TER 62 Bayonne to SJPdP.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

SNCF TER Aquitaine schedules and route information. In the drop list under 'ma ligne' select 'ligne 62 Bayonne - SJPdP' and click 'valider'.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/aqu...Avant_mon_voyage/Fiches_horaires/Default.aspx

Here is the current schedule. Note the service is currently provided by bus from Gare Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...ies_jeu_27_mars_nouvel_avis_tcm-11-101460.pdf

The schedule from 25 August to 28 September includes using the train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains. A bus will complete the journey from Cambo les Bains to SJPdP. Then its bus all the way from 29 Sept to 13 Dec.
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...-AFFICHE-2014_25_aout_13_dec_tcm-11-42307.pdf

It looks like there will be frequent changes to the schedule as the situation on the tracks changes so don't try to plan this one too far out.

I also attempted to book online for the train from Bayonne to St Jean but the search came up with Bayonee to Cambo les Bains . I contacted Rail Europe to be informed that from Cambo les Bains, it is a bus to St Jean and the bus ticket is to be purchased 'locally' from the bus station, which is not far from the train station. It's a 45 minute trip from Cambo les Bains to St Jean. My advice from Rail Europe was that it couldn't be pre-booked online. I am travelling 7 September. I have purchased my train ticket from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to CAmbo les Bains and will purchase my bus ticket when I arrive at Cambo.
Hi! I know your trip was last year but please let me know how this worked out for you. I am currently in the same situation. Booked ticket from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains already. Your help would be much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Or...get in touch with Caroline at Express Bourricot?? That's what I did after attempting to figure all this out. It's a shared van and so the price is very reasonable this time of year...and sooo much less headache. And Caroline's a gem.
Here's her info:

EXPRESS BOURRICOT
transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturelsCaroline Aphessetche
Tel: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76
Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

Hi! I know your trip was last year but please let me know how this worked out for you. I am currently in the same situation. Booked ticket from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains already. Your help would be much appreciated!

Christina,
The screen shot which you posted in another thread for your Bayonne to SJPdP ticket is correct. It is train to Cambo les Bains and then bus to SJPdP. One ticket covers both parts of the journey. Bon voyage and Buen camino!

MM

Christina,
The screen shot which you posted in another thread for your Bayonne to SJPdP ticket is correct. It is train to Cambo les Bains and then bus to SJPdP. One ticket covers both parts of the journey. Bon voyage and Buen camino!

MM

SNCF provides service from Bayonne to SJPdP.

The tracks washed out April 2014. The schedule is changing often. Until recently the service included train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and bus (autocar) from Cambo les Bains to SJPdP.

Lately, every time I look at the SNCF TER Aquitaine site ... the service provider's site ..., its showing the service from Bayonne to SJPdP is by bus (Autocar).

You can pay for a ticket in advance ... its good for 90 days ... but you cannot 'book' or reserve a seat on TER services.

I also found the service from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains is by Car (Bus). If I were you I would cancel this ticket and either buy one for Bayonne to SJPdP or wait till you get to the station to purchase it.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Christina,

As WW shows my post above is WRONG. Until further notice the journey from Bayonne to SJPdP is to be made by a railroad supplied bus (autocar) all the way. You buy the ticket at the rr station/Gare SNCF in Bayonne. See this link for autocar times.

MM

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back