• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus route from Pamplona to Roncesvalles

el_culichi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Summer 2018)
I just want to check with anyone who just took the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles recently what the hours are. I see that there are two bus lines that go in that direction but am not sure of the price and hours.

I can see that an Alsa bus goes from Pamplona at 12PM to St. Jean Pied de Port and makes a stop at Roncesvalles but the tickets online shows 22 euro price. Do you pay a lesser fare if you are not going all the way to St. Jean Pied de Port?

I also found that Autocares Artieda has a bus that leaves at 17:00 (5PM) from Pamplona according to their new schedule which started on June 1st. This one is suppose to be sold on the same date in person for 5.85 euros.

Autocares Artieda Horario Verano Pamplona a Roncesvalles

Do these two bus lines leave from the same bus station?

Thanks for any help with figuring the hours and cost so me and my dad catch the bus in the right place.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To bus to Roncesvalles use Autocares Artiedo.

The ALSA/CONDA bus does not have a license to carry passengers within Spain; it stops in Roncesvalles to pickup passengers going to France. They probably can't do anything to stop you from getting off there but make sure you bring your pack onboard with you. You will not get a fare discount either.

Do these two bus lines leave from the same bus station?
They do.

The bus station's website looks a bit out of date and Artieda is not listed as one of the bus lines served on one page but is listed on another. Following links we find an Artieda webpage giving the station's address as its departure point.

Not listed on the homepage:

Listed on a page of routes:

Following links we get the location Artieda gives for the departure point of its Roncesvalles service:

Here is the bus station's location. It is underground with a relatively small glass building at street level as its entrance.

If you just enter Pamplona into Google Maps the pin shown is almost on top of the bus station anyway.

BTW, CONDA is wholly or partially owned by ALSA so you see one name used some places and the other name elsewhere. The ALSA website is used for CONDA schedules and bookings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To bus to Roncesvalles use Autocares Artiedo.

The ALSA/CONDA bus does not have a license to carry passengers within Spain; it stops in Roncesvalles to pickup passengers going to France. They probably can't do anything to stop you from getting off there but make sure you bring your pack onboard with you. You will not get a fare discount either.
I was wondering what bus I took from Pamplona to SJPP in 2013. I do not remember changing buses in Roncesvalles. Is my old memory fading that much or was I just so wrapped up in my pre Camino worries that I do not remember. I do remember wondering where the hell the bus station was in Pamplona. I very kind Colombian man who walked the camino every year saw me and lead me downstairs to our bus. He was my first Camino "angel" I guess. A great guy who gave me great tips. An amazing guy who was a couple of years from retirement at the bank he worked at. He had 30 days vacation and was able to fly back and forth and walk the Camino in that time. We walked together to Roncesvalles and then to Larrasoana and then he was gone. I know he walked past Larrasoana that day.

I was wondering what bus I took from Pamplona to SJPP in 2013. I do not remember changing buses in Roncesvalles.
Our Conda bus in 2015 did stop in Roncesvalles as I recall but then continued on to SJPdP. No transfer from bus to bus.

There was one other bus that pilgrims could take. PLM bus line had a morning Tuesday and Friday bus going from Pamplona to Valcarlos and one of its barrios, Pekotxeta, essentially Arnéguy, France and a pleasant walk away from SJPdP following the Valcarlos camino variant in reverse.

PLM was bought out by Jimenez and I can't find this route on their website. A couple of queries got me no answers about whether this is still run or not.

Our Conda bus in 2015 did stop in Roncesvalles as I recall but then continued on to SJPdP. No transfer from bus to bus.

There was one other bus that pilgrims could take. PLM bus line had a morning Tuesday and Friday bus going from Pamplona to Valcarlos and one of its barrios, Pekotxeta, essentially Arnéguy, France and a pleasant walk away from SJPdP following the Valcarlos camino variant in reverse.

PLM was bought out by Jimenez and I can't find this route on their website. A couple of queries got me no answers about whether this is still run or not.
Thanks I jst was trying to recollect. I know I asked you about the Catalan before. I have decided that this year I will walk the Argones to at least Logrono. I will start about October 20. Maybe from Somport or Canfranc depending on the weather. I was thinking of then switching over to the Madrid but it looks finding a bed in November is going to be really tough. So I may stay on the CF or do something daring and get to Lisbon and rewalk the Camino Portugues but do the coastal and the espiritual variante. But that might be too much of a hassle. So we shall see. I think I have too much time on my retirement to overthink camino things haha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles
@Rick of Rick and Peg answered your questions: both the Alsa bus and the Artieda bus leave Pamplona from the main bus station. The Alsa bus has a licence for international passenger service which means that you can book tickets from all their six stops in the Navarra region in Spain, namely from Pamplona, Zubiri, Espinal, Burguete, Roncesvalles and Valcarlos TO Saint Jean Pied de Port in France but you cannot book a ticket from Pamplona to any of the stops in Navarra. I somehow doubt that one can circumvent this by buying a ticket for Pamplona-SJPP and get off the bus in Roncesvalles. If you have a decently sized backpack you will not be allowed to take it with you to your seat on the bus. It must be loaded into a space that is opened from the outside, and it is the bus driver who activates the mechanism for opening and closing it. You posted a link to the Artieda website who hold the licence from the Navarra government for the line Pamplona-Roncesvalles. As the question about departure times gets frequently asked, here is an overview for the summer of 2022:

Pamplona to SJPP: www.Alsa.es. Leaves at:
  • 12:00. Daily.
Pamplona to Roncesvalles: https://www.autocaresartieda.com. Leaves at:
  • 10:00 h. Monday to Saturday (but only during the period June 26-September 3)
  • 17:00 h. Monday to Saturday
No service on Sundays and public holidays.​
Buen Camino, @el_culichi !

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back